New Zealand

N

NickCofphee

Dumpstered! Seattle Naked Juice distribution center. That was a fun day. We, the two people I was with, had too much to carry by ourselves. So we passed out a bunch at the bus stop. The funny thing was when two kids (like 16 or something) looked at it skeptically. Started drinking it. Then one of them read the label "Ugggh! It's expired!" and spit it out. One day expiration? Must be a sign of the times.

barnaclebones

Reaction score
SO.... awesome thread!!!

I spent 6 months in NZ outside Christchurch workin at an apiary (honeybees...) that worked about 2000 hives on 2000 acres of rolling foothills near the southern alps.

Travelling could not have been fucking easier. busses are cheap, hitchin is easy... scenery's gorgeous, and people are so nice.

woofing is a great bet down there, as is plain and simple chatting at hostels. hostels there are a GOLDMINE of awesome folks and theres one in EVERY damn town.

Summer is great for farming on the north island (Northland has some amazing organic farms..) and work in orchards in Marlborough, Golden Bay and Canterbury. Late summer brings grape and other fruit harvests in Marlborough and all over the north end of the south island, and fall brings a LOT of work wrapping grapevines for the winter in Blenheim and a few other winery towns nearby.

Before you even go, think of what you might want to do and do some sleuthing online... Get a contact email for someone in the industry and go from there. It is SOOOO much nicer to have a backup plan of a place you can go and be expected in case cruising for work doesn't pan out well.

that's my piece. ALSO look into the Working Holiday Visa. it's good for a whole year, and you can travel, and work too.... legally. you get better wages this way, and i even got a tax return. If you're goin for the off the grid thing, cool... but its pretty nice to make a chunk of change no matter where you go, no questions asked.

<3

nitepeepole

Reaction score
im in nz now. hitchhiking is sooooooooo easy. i had to wait in a hitchiking queue in wanaka there were six ppl ahead of me...but we all got picked up eventually. im looking to head up to the top of the north island an dlive on a beach. also, if ne one wants to meert up im down for that.

yosh

Reaction score
yea,. I tried hoppin a lot in NZ. After many failures i had a great sucess. Hitch hike to aurthurs pass. Wait between the tracks and river (just east of the tunnel). trains going east will stop just out of the tunnel to take of the helpers it needed to get up the pass. dont go through the tunnel on the train, either way as the tunnel is really long and steep with up to 4 engines in front. Hop on and stay low (i kicked it around the hydrolic equipment at first then in the coal later). It sided a few times out in the middle of nowhere, i suggest getting off in christchurch (which just got hit hard by a quake so shit might be diffrent now) (you will know your in chch because its more urban and you go under an over pass). If neglect to get off you will go through a tunnel to lyttleton. If you fuck up like i did and end up in lyttelton you are in for a gnarly climb up a cliff to get out of the yard (or swim if you perfer that or try to ninja past security). Other then that, it was the sickest ride of my life.

http://www.facebook.com/v/324291671323 <- a video that might work

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads