new traveler looking for advice.

KnastyBeeGnar

Reaction score
hi, my name is kc, i'm 22 and my 2 year-old daughter aeva and i are looking to get out on the open road. we will be traveling by vehicle, because i want to keep her as safe as possible while we are out exploring.

what i am most interested in finding out here are these specific things.

- what are the, shall i say "laws?" for traveling with a child. i assume there are food, and safety requirements i just need to know what they are, a website for something to read up on would be perfect. i'm awful with computers and researching. what do i need to have at all times? are there any papers and or legal docs i may need?

- how do people that are traveling network with fellow travelers to find squats and or places to crash, gatherings, sweet spots, landmarks anything we may want to see or experience? we are going for the full experience, keep in mind my daughter is extremely smart and cultured already, for only being two. i know she can handle just about any exciting life changing experience. other than myspace, or facebook :/

- how do you are people you know make money on the road? i myself live in nevada city right now and make quite a bit of dough selling my paintings, drawings, handmade wrapped crystal pendants, rings etc. is that a possible way of getting extra cash for gas and food? are there any food banks avaliable for travelers?

basically i need a 411 on the whole deal. any advice, tips, or insight would help.

i'd also like to get in contact with any chill folks that would like to possibly meet us on our journey.
i do have a facebook but not a myspace. i guess message me if you would like to converse? i'm new to this.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
Hi and welcome to the site. You'll find lots of useful info here and a few good people as well. Make sure read the rules and search before posting. Welcome and enjoy.

stimpy

Reaction score
Hi kc, forget about "laws" it's just not appropriate to take a two year old child on the kind of trip that you are describing. I have no idea what the government approved 'food and safety' requirements are, but if you are talking about going on the road with a two year old, no money and crashing in squats, and with strangers... that just isn't a safe environment for any two year old, even one as extremely smart and cultured as yours. Also, bear in mind that long drives, squats, hangouts and gatherings, are just not much fun for a two year old.

paddymelt

Reaction score
Stimpy is right. You really don't want to take a 2 year old out on the road like that. I imagine if you fly a sign or dumpster dive with a 2 year old you'll have cps on yer ass quicker than slick shit through a wino.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Not only is that dangerous for the child, but the amount of effort you'd have to spend taking care of it in addition to all the other hardships on the road is gonna ruin the trip for you. Either wait a couple years, or find someone who can watch the child temporarily, if this isn't a long-term adventure.

mike

AnthraxMatt

Reaction score
everyones worried about the 2yo, haha, i guess nobody knows the Death Camp Kids. just try to not look dirty and do things (ie: dumpster dive) out in the open where public & pigs will see you.
for gas, jug it.
for food, spange/fly a sign, look for soup kitchens and try some churches. and remember when you fly signs, dont ask for a hand out, cops can catch you slip if you're asking for money. and the first amendment helps, learn it. instead suggest something or even have fun (such as a sign that says "Do you have my Student Loan?" or "Traveling, anything helps" both worked for me).

oh and try this site too: Ten Things You Need to Know to Live on the Streets | The Nation

paddymelt

Reaction score
That would depend on where you're going. Its different from place to place. Are you planning on going North, South, East, or...? Certain times of year are better for certain areas. I would avoid the mid/west and the south right now unless you like 100 degree heat, brutal humidity and bugs. The west coast is nice, as is the north west this time of year. But thats just my opinion. If you have a specific town in mind or direction you want to head in, that'd be a start, you could probably get some good advice on where to meet traveling folx if you asked about a specific area or location.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads