New owner of a boat! | Squat the Planet

New owner of a boat!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, bought a little sailboat today. Puget sound boat punks, another boat has joined the Armada! 1988 Catalina 22. Decided to get a smaller boat to learn on.
IMG_20190406_142020691.jpg

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Oof! You're going to find that size mighty hard to live on, especially in the PNW
won't be living on it full time. But yeah ...can always get a bigger boat down the road. No Regerts!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Looks awesome man! Congrats!
Where’s it located? When ya headed to the islands?
Cheers
Crow
In Bellingham. It's still at the sellers house on a trailer. Got to wax the sides of the boat before putting it in the water, and waiting for the weather to cooperate. Going to keep it in a slip in B-ham for this season and figure out next year if I want to keep it somewhere else. Hoping to do some trips beginning in a couple weeks. Sucia Island looks interesting. Have any other recommendations of places you like? Bought a chart book for all of the San Juan islands the other day...been having fun looking at that.

I also need to figure out a dinghy situation quick before i do any overnight trips or longer. Something my dog won't puncture and is big enough yet small enough to stow on a 22 foot boat. Any recs on that?

Last edited:
Reactions: MetalBryan

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Reading about the thing you want to do is frustrating. This came in the mail to me this week.
Chapman's is fucking incredible. We have the same book except a slightly older edition
chapmans.jpg

Dameon

Reaction score
I also need to figure out a dinghy situation quick before i do any overnight trips or longer. Something my dog won't puncture and is big enough yet small enough to stow on a 22 foot boat. Any recs on that?
You can usually pick up an Avon inflatable for cheap. Inflatable may sound bad for use with a dog, but they're extremely durable; I used an Avon as my tender for years with my dog, and she never created a hole in it. An Avon inflatable makes a good tender for a small boat, because it's light and you can deflate it and stow it inside while you're sailing. They're also fairly easy to repair compared to something made out of fiberglass or wood.

Reactions: iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
You can usually pick up an Avon inflatable for cheap. Inflatable may sound bad for use with a dog, but they're extremely durable; I used an Avon as my tender for years with my dog, and she never created a hole in it. An Avon inflatable makes a good tender for a small boat, because it's light and you can deflate it and stow it inside while you're sailing. They're also fairly easy to repair compared to something made out of fiberglass or wood.
did you have one with a rigid bottom? or was it air filled floor? did you lay down carpet for the bottom or anything?

Wombat Joe

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
won't be living on it full time. But yeah ...can always get a bigger boat down the road. No Regerts!
i trade u for the lil one when u get a big one!

CrowTheBard

Reaction score
Dude! Congrats!
Let’s plan a meet up at Cypress island sometime soonish. It’s about half way between Bham and Lopez Island, so a pretty central meet up place, and it’s supposed to be super rad with a few great anchorages. I haven’t been there yet myself, but lots of my friends have and say it’s a must see place.

Anyways, congrats again, let’s get in touch soon and do some sailing!

Cheers,
Crow the Bard

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

G0PN1KB0T

Reaction score
Beautiful boat! My father had a Cat 30 when I was child. I loved the thing! We now have a Coronado 25. Fun little thing. We are planning on changing the through hull soon! It's going to be a great project. I hope you have fun!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads