New owner of a boat! (2 Viewers)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
Looks awesome man! Congrats!
Where’s it located? When ya headed to the islands?
Cheers
Crow
In Bellingham. It's still at the sellers house on a trailer. Got to wax the sides of the boat before putting it in the water, and waiting for the weather to cooperate. Going to keep it in a slip in B-ham for this season and figure out next year if I want to keep it somewhere else. Hoping to do some trips beginning in a couple weeks. Sucia Island looks interesting. Have any other recommendations of places you like? Bought a chart book for all of the San Juan islands the other day...been having fun looking at that.

I also need to figure out a dinghy situation quick before i do any overnight trips or longer. Something my dog won't puncture and is big enough yet small enough to stow on a 22 foot boat. Any recs on that?

Last edited:
Reactions: MetalBryan

Dameon

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Northern California
I also need to figure out a dinghy situation quick before i do any overnight trips or longer. Something my dog won't puncture and is big enough yet small enough to stow on a 22 foot boat. Any recs on that?
You can usually pick up an Avon inflatable for cheap. Inflatable may sound bad for use with a dog, but they're extremely durable; I used an Avon as my tender for years with my dog, and she never created a hole in it. An Avon inflatable makes a good tender for a small boat, because it's light and you can deflate it and stow it inside while you're sailing. They're also fairly easy to repair compared to something made out of fiberglass or wood.

Reactions: iamwhatiam
OP
iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
You can usually pick up an Avon inflatable for cheap. Inflatable may sound bad for use with a dog, but they're extremely durable; I used an Avon as my tender for years with my dog, and she never created a hole in it. An Avon inflatable makes a good tender for a small boat, because it's light and you can deflate it and stow it inside while you're sailing. They're also fairly easy to repair compared to something made out of fiberglass or wood.
did you have one with a rigid bottom? or was it air filled floor? did you lay down carpet for the bottom or anything?

Dameon

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Northern California
No rigid bottom, just a rubber floor, but the rubber that marine inflatables are made of is super durable. I didn't lay down anything, typically.

MetalBryan

Pilgrim
Current Location
Washington, DC
I like the idea of StP users learning to sail and then trading their first rig to another StP prospect. That's gotta be the best way to build the punk navy.

• Love it
Reactions: CrowTheBard

CrowTheBard

Current Location
Lopez Island
Dude! Congrats!
Let’s plan a meet up at Cypress island sometime soonish. It’s about half way between Bham and Lopez Island, so a pretty central meet up place, and it’s supposed to be super rad with a few great anchorages. I haven’t been there yet myself, but lots of my friends have and say it’s a must see place.

Anyways, congrats again, let’s get in touch soon and do some sailing!

Cheers,
Crow the Bard

WyldLyfe

Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Australia
OP, thats really cool man, nice boat & good job.. you got your boat license? been driving boats for a while? Theres a youtube channel or two iv been checking out a bit, these people travelling around with boats an stuff maybe you may b interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$540.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $200.00 of $200.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

VampireFreaks.com is closing it's website on Fed 1st 2020, after 20 years of being the home for "alternative" social networking. They will continue the con and the online store, but the site and forum will be laid to rest.
Love my bike polo family: keep my ass grounded and in a healthy mental status!
Grilled Mental anguish over lack of will to do what need done. Served bland on a bed of fuck yourself over... self destruction recipes like momma used to make!
Meditated in the woods today. Decided to start doing this weekly while I continue to research and buy camping gear, so that I can get used to being actually in the forest, which carries with it varying temperatures and so many God damn bugs.
It's always nice to see fireflies again..
Feelin' dat circus magic yo
Just saw a bunch of church kids run across the street screaming JAY WALKIN FOR JESUS
Separating , what I need and what the Gods And Goddesses will soon bless me with ... HER magic ....
ibuzzard wrote on quad8's profile.
Really hope you aren’t posting some anti-semitic B.S.?
[short Hail Mary re-write I did]
Come and get me, mate
If you motherfuckers want quad 8
If Stobe was still drinking booze, he would never ride with Jew
Na na-na-na na-na-na-na

Get off that 8
'Cuz it's time to set your punk-ass straight
It's STP here now, steve-0 got it down and locked
la la-la-la la-la-la-locked

"Now I return to my regular self, and have fun again!" :)

Staff online