New member here, I'm Sarah

sarahrunning

Reaction score
Website
sroo.hubpages.com
Hey everybody, my name's Sarah. I'm from the Eastern Shore of Maryland (close to Dover, Delaware).

I feel like I'm supposed to be out traveling, every penny I've earned I've put towards travel. I had a cashier job for only a month (fired, for not being "peppy" enough), I bought a bus ticket to Georgia where I wwoofed for 5 weeks and then couchsurfed for 1 week. I had plans to then go to Maine for 3 months, but that was scrapped unfortunately.

I've been back home for almost 3 month now. Dull, dull, dull. It's so mundane, I can hardly stand it. On the bright side, my mom wants to try vandwelling with me and we're making plans to buy a van in Feb 2013. While that's awesome and I'm excited, I'm not sure how long a set-up like this can last. I want to do things that my mom won't consider; train hopping for one. I want to try things that I wouldn't want my mom to be a part of; ayahuasca in Ecuador and joining an intentional community.

It's just odd, ya know?

Anyway, anybody in New Jersey, Philly, DC region come find me! (especially if you're an experienced train rider.)

bryanpaul

Reaction score
hahaha.. sweet another eastern shore person on here.:) .... i'm from kent county MD but currently stayin with my family out in the cornfeilds not far from dover (sudlersville).....but yeah welcome to the site.......completely understand where your comin from wantin to roll out.....shit can be dull to the point of suicidal depression around here........i've been off the road back here for a year and a half and am wondering what the fuck i'm doing here.....but yeah........... read though all the threads on here....alot of it is just people goofin off and shit but there's alot of info.... cheers :: drinking buddy ::

sarahrunning

Reaction score
Website
sroo.hubpages.com
Dude, you must be kidding! I live in Goldsboro 20-25 mins from Sudlersville. Here I am thinking I'm the only soul in Caroline County dying to escape the rednecks. WOOHOO!!

bryanpaul

Reaction score
hahaha yeah that's right up the road! ......... yeah living around here seems to get people into a straight dead-end lifestyle...moreso than other parts of the country......... but yeah there's been like 10 or 12 of us from kent county that all ended up travelin at some point or another....sooo hard to just say "fuck it" and get up and go sometimes....but then once you do it was the greatest decision you've made................

sarahrunning

Reaction score
Website
sroo.hubpages.com
Erm, sorta kinda. I actually left a week early because the husband of my host was getting too rude to me and the other wwoofer.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I think it's neat that StP has brought together two people in such a close area that might otherwise have never met :)

dprogram

Reaction score
Welcome. I can't believe you guys have rednecks though...I thought it was a genetic defect found only in the south. Have fun!

freeranger

Reaction score
that's a common complaint i've heard from wwoofer's. the boss-man begins to treat everyone like they were 19th century field hands and not volunteers on an exchange program.

urbanflow

Reaction score
im new here as well but, welcome! i plan on passing through maryland on my way to florida. it might not be until spring but, if things happen it might be in december. i hear this winter is supposed to be crazy bad though.

either way, maybe we can link up and roll around together with some people from down that way?

AnotherBlur

Reaction score
Hi i'm new too but definitely wanting to try train hopping too, i just don't know where to begin with it. New as hell to this stuff. Anyways, nice to meet you :)
-Currently in FL

K

kokomojoe

I know that feeling of mind numbing, suicidal boredness. Unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to start traveling til spring or at the very latest summer. Welcome to the site though.

sarahrunning

Reaction score
Website
sroo.hubpages.com
Wow! That's a lot of replies. Hahah, I hadn't checked this since my last post.

@dprogram: MD is a weird state. We've got tons of southerners and some northerners, lots of hispanics and I'm pretty sure MD has the highest percentage of blacks in the country. So yeah, a good mix of people. But the REDNECKS!! Uhhgg. I swear, if I have one more ridiculously large pick-up truck with monster truck wheels fly past me, Imma start taking a knife to those wheels. :p

@freeranger: I just left them a low rating on the wwoof page. Bwahahah, I win.

@urbanflow: fer sur one day. *sigh*, I'm too broke to do anything now. :( And my mom is counting on me to help out saving money for the spring, (she's getting a divorce but refuses to pay rent so she's giving van dwelling a go.)

@anotherblur: That's why I'm waiting for an experienced train hopper to come along -- they can teach me!

Thank you all for so many replies!

freeranger

Reaction score
maryland is a lot more 'southern' than most folks realize. they were going to secede from the union during the civil war, but Lincoln arrested their entire state legislature and threw them in jail so they couldn't vote on it.

sarahrunning

Reaction score
Website
sroo.hubpages.com
It is, especially the eastern shore. We even sell grits in our grocery stores. Can't get more southern than that.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads