Never leave your pack alone, not even for a minute!

Phuen

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Some cultures are very forgiving to criminals, specifically thieves. India was a surprising experience for me. Just shove a hand down your pockets and smile about it.

I put my leg through the backpack handle too. Laptop has a lock, so it can't just be picked up quick. Usually, a meaningful but small deterrent will do!

r3yn

Reaction score
I was at a wild rave after-party in Ottawa, Canada, and a bunch of vile gangsta dudes came into the house. The busses had stopped by this point, and wouldn't start for another few hours, so my girlfriend and I slept on a couch in the middle of the party, and I held onto my pack.

I woke up a while later and my pack was gone. Dude had lifted it from right under my grasp. Wow. Then I went looking around the house for it, and realized someone had stolen my shoes, from the front area, too. There was three-feet of snow outside, and a fresh layer just falling. -25*C. So I wrapped plastic bags around my feet and wandered out. Just a bit behind the house, I found my empty bag (I guess they didn't realize the worth of the mil pack, or just were looking for valuable shit....? but oddly they stole my already-stolen airline blanket, some sweaty rave clothes, and some other shit... fair, I guess, re: the airline blanket).

Anyway, I saw their tracks continuing up the lane, and started to follow the fresh thief-sign in the snow. The sun was coming up, and I tracked their trail to the bus station, but lost it there amongst the clusterfuck of early-workers. Asked security to see the cameras; they told me to go fuck myself in the usual bureaucratic custom of Canada.

Still, kind of worth the experience, anyway.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Still, kind of worth the experience, anyway.

Yeah, an experience indeed.

I only had two (not so severe) experiences in 4 years of traveling. Once my smartphone was stolen out of my jeans pocket in a squat in Brighton, UK ... other people missed things as well after that night.

And once my backpack was stolen as I slept in Bristol, so I only had my sleeping bag I was sleeping in and my daypack, everything else was gone.

BUT I got my stuff back ... For some reason someone stole my stuff but left it somewhere and a good soul found it, found the coach ticket in my backpack, found me on fb cause of my name written on the ticket and I got my stuff back.

:)

Hope you got your shoes back btw ... I once was without shoes in winter cause they fell apart and ended up walking around in flip flops in the snow ... not -25°C more like -5 ... but still cold ...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads