Never leave your pack alone, not even for a minute! (1 Viewer)

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
OP
japanarchist

japanarchist

Current Location
Portland
The security guard told me it happens all the time there. People come there (especially at night) to steal from tourist then go back to central bcn to sell what they stole. Barcelona is like the theft capital of europe. It happens so much the pigs don’t really give a fuck.

Current Location
Los Angeles
Some cultures are very forgiving to criminals, specifically thieves. India was a surprising experience for me. Just shove a hand down your pockets and smile about it.

I put my leg through the backpack handle too. Laptop has a lock, so it can't just be picked up quick. Usually, a meaningful but small deterrent will do!

r3yn

Lurker
Current Location
China / Canada
I was at a wild rave after-party in Ottawa, Canada, and a bunch of vile gangsta dudes came into the house. The busses had stopped by this point, and wouldn't start for another few hours, so my girlfriend and I slept on a couch in the middle of the party, and I held onto my pack.

I woke up a while later and my pack was gone. Dude had lifted it from right under my grasp. Wow. Then I went looking around the house for it, and realized someone had stolen my shoes, from the front area, too. There was three-feet of snow outside, and a fresh layer just falling. -25*C. So I wrapped plastic bags around my feet and wandered out. Just a bit behind the house, I found my empty bag (I guess they didn't realize the worth of the mil pack, or just were looking for valuable shit....? but oddly they stole my already-stolen airline blanket, some sweaty rave clothes, and some other shit... fair, I guess, re: the airline blanket).

Anyway, I saw their tracks continuing up the lane, and started to follow the fresh thief-sign in the snow. The sun was coming up, and I tracked their trail to the bus station, but lost it there amongst the clusterfuck of early-workers. Asked security to see the cameras; they told me to go fuck myself in the usual bureaucratic custom of Canada.

Still, kind of worth the experience, anyway.

Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Still, kind of worth the experience, anyway.
Yeah, an experience indeed.

I only had two (not so severe) experiences in 4 years of traveling. Once my smartphone was stolen out of my jeans pocket in a squat in Brighton, UK ... other people missed things as well after that night.

And once my backpack was stolen as I slept in Bristol, so I only had my sleeping bag I was sleeping in and my daypack, everything else was gone.

BUT I got my stuff back ... For some reason someone stole my stuff but left it somewhere and a good soul found it, found the coach ticket in my backpack, found me on fb cause of my name written on the ticket and I got my stuff back.

:)

Hope you got your shoes back btw ... I once was without shoes in winter cause they fell apart and ended up walking around in flip flops in the snow ... not -25°C more like -5 ... but still cold ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

gotta go watch this dailey... back in a while...
Reminder: Friday night on Coast to Coast am radio show: Haunted Trains!
Friday - Haunted Trains / Open Lines
Matthew Swayne
There's a meme called SPEED KIRB. You're welcome.
Finally printed up physical copies of my hitchin' story! Cover art by @spiffypairofspoons on instagram. I added some doodles and stuff to help with formatting, and I'll be carrying copies of these when my band goes on tour in the spring!

I can busk on the way, I usually let people staple their money to me with a staple gun, spit fire or perform other masochistic acts for money.
The guide told me to type my interests and shit here, help people get to know me, I made this so i could get help catching a Freight Train to Seattle and get there by the 20th of December, 2019, never hopped a train before, thought it'd be a fun thing to do. I'm tryna get to more punk shows. Actually pretty straight edge, keep my habits to shows and campfires.
lmfao!!! im figuring this desktop thing out way slow... totally different than a mobile. this site makes way more sens to navigate on a desk top... had no clue this was going to pop up on the main lmfao!!!! it does!!! always wonderd why ppl seen my shit that didnt fallow me!!!! im getting it... slowly...
anybody ride form grand junction co to slc lately? whats the ride like rn?
A Jack-of-all-trades, and a master at being MEDIOCRE

Staff online