Need suggestions for bugging out in CO

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
I've been settled in Denver, trying and failing to re-enter polite society. Had one job rejection too many this week and I need to get out of Dodge and breathe some fresh air in my lungs.
Got my winter camping gear, got my guitar, got a car. Where should I go where I can find peace for a week or two? Maximum 12 hours' drive from Denver, and low enough elevation that I won't have to be camping on snow. I don't know this area and I don't really know how federal land works. I know I can camp pretty much anywhere, can I hunt small game? The FS website is kinda vague. Seems like Colorado is unusually strict about a lot of things.

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
BLM land allows camping in one place for up to 14 days!

https://blm-egis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=59bfb9b9406d4a409e2f510bda9e409f
Here's a map of BLM land in Colorado. The yellow is BLM land. New Mexico and Arizona also have some BLM land and may be a bit warmer.

Good luck with everything
Thanks, I was looking for a map just like that! This'll keep me occupied for the evening.
Yeah I've never been to NM or AZ so that's definitely in the cards. Weather and snow will be the biggest factor; I might just keep driving south until I find somewhere cozy.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Some suggestions:

-Any of the canyons outside of Lyons or Longmont, CO
-all of the desert in San Juan county Utah
-The Westwater area of the Colorado River outside of Grand Junction, CO
-The Gunnison River canyon outside of Grand junction
-Anywhere outside of Salida, CO that isint Private Property
-The areas of Norwood, Bedrock, and Paradox CO

Honestly there are too many to mention. You are in the best area of the country for what you are saying you want to do.

BLM is easier to get away with camping for longer. Try ro move about a mile or two every 2 weeks to avoid drawing attention.

Just make sure to take out all of your trash, and try to camp in already impacted areas without leaving a trace on the land.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: maggot

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you're coming through Colorado Springs, (I use to live there and visit now and then) avoid the south and southeast side of town for camping out and downtown. Avoid the motels/hotels on South Nevada Avenue. (Do to crack heads, meth and drug users, alcoholics and other scum bags out there).

If you need a free meal, Marion Soup Kitchen is downtown on East Bijou Street east of I-25 west of South Cascade Avenue.

The others that posted above have pretty good information and I would take their advise!

Good Luck and please keep us updated!

Last edited:

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also, for small game, you usually will need to get a small game liscense (should not be too hard to get) unless you can get away with it stealthily

I would just stock up food boxes, use a cooler, because it will be cold enough outside to preserve things.

Watch for bears...either keep food in the car or hang it in a tree

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
Some suggestions:

-Any of the canyons outside of Lyons or Longmont, CO
-all of the desert in San Juan county Utah
-The Westwater area of the Colorado River outside of Grand Junction, CO
-The Dolores River canyon outside of Grand junction
-Anywhere outside of Salida, CO that isint Private Property
-The areas of Norwood, Bedrock, and Paradox CO

Honestly there are too many to mention. You are in the best area of the country for what you are saying you want to do.

BLM is easier to get away with camping for longer. Try ro move about a mile or two every 2 weeks to avoid drawing attention.

Just make sure to take out all of your trash, and try to camp in already impacted areas without leaving a trace on the land.

Thanks brother. I'm from the east coast (like everyone else in Denver) so the idea of being able to roam most anywhere I want is completely new to me. Great to have some specific recommendations. And thanks for the link; that's a great resource.

Yeah I've been looking into small game licenses, and apparently you need to go through the same hunter training course as if you were hunting big game. I don't mind that since it's all online, but then you have to attend an in-person conclusion session, and those are booked up until FEBRUARY. They make it hard enough for us to do the right thing...

Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
No problem, man. I have many east coast friends who find the public land situation in the west foreign to them, but deeply gratifying.

The basic thing I like to tell people is:

There is PLENTY of land to play/survive on out here. BUT it has regulations, mainly put in place to protect the land, that are appreciated to abide by.

However, some of these laws are arbitrary. Like trying to reduce "homeless" populations from being able to survive in this country without becoming a part of the capitalist society that they hate. Hence the stay limits, laws against "residency" on public land, ect.

BUT, there are many people who fuck this up for everyone. One of the main reasons these laws were put into place, is because tweakers or disrespectful homebums will set up camps for months and just pile trash/shit/piss anywhere they want.

This fucks up the land for everyone else who would ever want to use it in the future, and creates a serious disrespect for the earth, and natural resources it provides for all of us.

So please, be a respectful user, check out:

Leave No Trace (https://lnt.org)
Wilderness Ethics (https://wilderness.net)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads