Featured - my (very short) first train ride | Squat the Planet

Featured my (very short) first train ride

siid

Reaction score
so i thought i'd post about my travels in the past year from russia to hitch hiking central america and south america, but im going to start with some photos of my first train ride (philly to baltimore) which i went on before i left the country :)

I'd been traveling/working with the circus for the last 6 years but decided it was time to get the fuck out, move on, and REALLY start travelling. I went to Russia for about a month (which i will write about and post pictures of seperately), came back to NYC and decided to hop a train with my bff, neither one of us ever having done it before, so heres some photos :)

we headed to philly to meet up with a friend I made on here, John ( @foxspirit still out there ?)
we hung out with him and two other dudes, Jamaica and Greg, by the river next to the tracks.

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

a train rolled in and stopped for a few hours.
John said we could get on that train if we wanted to. I didnt expect everything to happen so fast and Greg was excited to put us on our first train and send us off, so he took me to the train, showed me how to climb across and we walked down the train looking for a good car. He was really excited to explain eeeeeeverything to me as we walked past it.

"A GRAINER! PERFECT! YOU CAN FIT IN HERE, IN THERE, IN HERE, YOU READY?"
"omg ok wait i gotta go git my friend and my stuff!"

I went to git my stuff and they all came along to see that we got settled in with enough food and water for the ride while Greg demonstrated a ton of different positions

"OMG THIS IS GREAT YOU CAN SIT HERE OR IN THERE, OR ONE OF YOU CAN LAY IN THERE AND THE OTHER ONE IN THERE AND YOUR BAGS OVER HERE, OR YOU CAN BOTH FIT HERE LIKE THIS! YOU CAN EVEN CLIMB THIS AND JUST HANG FROM HERE THE WHOLE RIDE OR YOU CAN EVEN SIT HERE AND JUST SIT LIKE THIS SEE NOBODY CAN SEE YOU IF YOU SIT LIKE THIS YOU GUYS ARE GONNA HAVE A GREAT TIME!"

IMG_3401.JPG

Greg showing me one of the many ways i can sit Hahaha

1471294975821.jpeg

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

1470593645234.jpeg

So after our glamourous photoshoot, they stuck around to give us lots of tips on how to have a safe trip, how to get on and off, etc. and it was time to say goodbye to our railyard spirit guides<3

IMG_3407.JPG

They went back to their stuff by the river and my friend and I were settled in the grainer, very lucky to have had such sweet guys to guide us.

Within a few minutes the train started moving. I tucked myself in one of the holes and went to sleep for a few hours. It was a very comfortable ride, arrived in Baltimore by morning. We decided to get off there instead of Richmond, just ta see what Baltimore was like.

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

Emerged fabulous as ever, browz on point, duh.

1470589073743.jpeg

IMG_3438.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

Walked into town, totally sucked.
Went to Richmond, also sucked.

IMG_3546.JPG

Made some friends, twerked together.

IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_3560.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG

It rained, posted up under some random shit.

IMG_3746.JPG

Made some more frenz.

IMG_3594.JPG

Shot some guns.

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

A manhole or some shit.

And that was that.

Will post about Russia and traveling central/south america which was far more interesting, stories about being confused for ms13 gang members, being housed up by trafickers, hitching with cops, sleeping on the streets on guatemala and a divine intervention from Black Jesus himself, and ill link it here lataaaa.

edit;
Russia- https://squattheplanet.com/threads/one-month-in-russia.31965/

Ecuador/Peru-
https://squattheplanet.com/threads/ecuador-peru.31969/

Last edited:

siid

Reaction score
Goddamn, looks like an incredible time!
Where will you head next?

Hey! Right now Im in NYC ive been here for about 5 months bored as hell, haha Ive never been west so thats my next goal, to start heading west in about 3 weeks or so while i get some things together, dont know how yet but i want to go to california and see everything in between. Whats your favorite place and where do you recommend ?

MamaSow

Reaction score
Really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing your time on the road with us. Great to see the stories of women on the roads, rails, and trails.

Will read your other adventures now too.

tony longshanks

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
I'm having so much fun reading this post, thank you! I feel like I'm on the train with you. This STP thread is, in a way, my first trainhopping experience.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
Head southwest and work your way back from there. It's winter and the large bulk of the county is cold and no fun to find a spot to sleep (unless you like the cold, I Most certainly do not).
I'm riding my bike across the world, so I'm constantly moving as well, just not as fast.

If you hit the slabs anytime soon, get at me and let's share some fire side stories

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads