My thoughts on A- Political beliefs

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

^^ From Merriam-Webster.

Capitalism is not dependant on consumerism OR fiat currency for that matter. Goods and resources still have value even if they are not in the act of being sold or traded.

Soulutions

Reaction score
"Capitalism is not dependent on consumerism"

Why would you think such?

In a capitalists system a "private or corporate" person or persons can legally own "capitol goods." Which is to say the means of production. 1. Yes or no?

"by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, Production, and the Distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market." Is earning capitol the prime motivation for producing and distributing goods? 2. yes or no?

It's in the bloody definition you gave! How often do you see factories neighboring the local landfill? You don't, because their products are meant for the people, not the dump.

3. Would you yourself labor for 10 hours a day to keep your hypothetical factory running smoothly to A. Sell the shit you make, or B. Immediately turn around and trash/donate it

• Haha
Reactions: DrewSTNY

CaptainCassius

Reaction score

In a capitalists system a "private or corporate" person or persons can legally own "capitol goods." Which is to say the means of production. 1. Yes or no?

"by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, Production, and the Distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market." Is earning capitol the prime motivation for producing and distributing goods? 2. yes or no?

It's in the bloody definition you gave! How often do you see factories neighboring the local landfill? You don't, because their products are meant for the people, not the dump.

3. Would you yourself labor for 10 hours a day to keep your hypothetical factory running smoothly to A. Sell the shit you make, or B. Immediately turn around and trash/donate it

1. No, Capitol goods are not necessarily the means of production.

2. No, There is no prime motivator other than private decision. It may or may not be to acquire more Capitol.

3. If my shit wasn't selling, I'd close my hypothetical factory.

You're assuming that production is endless.

And you're discounting service providers.
Not all business is manufacturing.

To answer your first question; you've got it backwards

Consumerism is dependant on Capitalism
Capitalism is not dependent on Consumerism.

Consumption of goods and resources occurs regardless of economic system.
Consumerism is an attitude that's been mostly shoved down our throats to increase sales.

So the motivation of those PARTICULAR companies has been to acquire more Capitol

CORPORATIONS ^^
That are only responsible to their shareholders for turning a profit and nothing else.

However this is not ALWAYS the case, there are plenty of companies and individuals that do not operate on this principle. Not to mention non-profits.

Last edited:

DrewSTNY

Reaction score

I can't reply now, but I like point 3... Edit coming

Like as in, make stuff and put it directly in the dump...

Last edited:

All Who Wander

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Wow, five pages of this?

Had a buddy that was a Marxist, then converted to Universal Objectivism after reading Atlas Shrugged. Few weeks later he's dropped em both, says he figured out a simple truth, "No matter how perfect a system you create, theres always gonna be an asshole who figures out the loopholes, exploits your perfect system, teaches others the same, and eventually ruins it."

We began calling it the "theres always an asshole" clause, and we'd giggle whenever somebody started verbally fantasizing about a better political or resource distribution system.

I think you have to fix the people before you try and fix the governments or economic systems.

Reactions: CaptainCassius

BusGypsy

Reaction score
I"m Apolitical because I'm sick of the politics, sick of the game, and want no part of it. I protest it by refusing to participate in it.
Anarcho communist, communistic anarchy; a lot of cute buzzwords for recognition. I guess I become skeptical when people start spouting of -isms.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads