My current situation

Jawek

Reaction score
Hello nomads and wanderers, I would like to introduce myself as someone who has recently tried and failed at running away from home. I realize that many of you have bias against people like me because 99.9 percent of us are ungrateful asswipes who do it because we get in a fight with our parents or do it for attention. I do not feel sorry for my self, I get along with my parents well, and I am not looking to impress anyone; please do not be mistaken. I currently reside in the United States and am 15 years old. I am the type of kid who loves life very much and spend almost all of my time outside of school outdoors by myself. I do not spend my time worrying about my appearance, my social media, or playing video games. I have spent time with squatters in my area, I appreciate the squatting lifestyle very much and the interesting people it produces. I am also the type of person who fixes their own problems, however unorthodox the methods are. I also have very little interest in schooling because I don't believe it has an important role in my future.
I spent the past few months planning, scrounging gear, and tying up all of my loose ends so I could make my way out of the shitty suburban lifestyle I have always known. I wanted to leave all technology behind and become a nomad. I had mapped out my way to the nearest railyard and eventually I broke free and biked my way there, the idea of train hopping was intriguing to me and an old squatter friend had told me all about it. I knew that if I could get to the railyard and lay low for an indefinite period of time, that a train would stop and I could get on it because my friend had recommended the specific spot. When I got there, all sorts of trains were stopping and going but none of them were going in the right direction, for the first two days, I waited and watched all the trains stop but they were all going the wrong direction. An old squatter had seen me sleeping in the cold and rain and invited me to come by his fire and smoke weed, I gratefully accepted, we became good friends. On the third day, I decided that I would board any train that stopped, there were only two directions they were going. I also became much more careless about my hiding place and was spotted by the train crew on a passing train. They sent a yard worker to clear me out of the area, who I told I was just taking pictures, but he still made me leave. I was on the lam, and I knew people who cared about me would be out looking for me and my picture would be everywhere. Pretty much as soon as I had left the railyard, I was spotted and driven home by police.
This happened fairly recently but I can reflect from this experience with guilt and wonder. When I was on my own I felt like I was at home with myself and I cannot describe the feeling. I believe that life on the road is the correct path for me.

Now that I have described my situation, I would like to get into the real reason why I am putting this on here. Now that I am back with my family and with society, I really want more life on the road even though it has been a few weeks since I ran away and I only lasted three days. I think that if I had been less careless and more patient, I would have made it. It is difficult living on the run and I believe that I would not have lasted longer unless I had boarded a train.
In my state, there are laws regarding runaways, they pretty much just say that any 17 year old is not a runaway and cannot be searched for by police. I think I should give another shot at living on the run because the absolute freedom that comes with it makes it definitely worth it, but I can always wait 14 months for a much easier approach.

Is there anyone on here who has advice for me on being on the run, or on riding trains, any advice helps, (especially from experienced runaways).

Please personal message me anything that is actually helpful so stupid kids who don't know what they are getting themselves into can't read the advice.

• Sad
Reactions: TrainingHoppers
D

Deleted member 125

without going to much into it, yer basically a huge liability to anybody who you travel/squat with being underage. sorry but thats the way it is and ide say that anybody worth their salt wouldnt take that risk, its one thing to get popped and do a weekend in county lock up but its another to aid and abed a runaway.

Static9

Reaction score
He's right. You will most likely be caught and brought home, that's the way it goes until you are old enough to not be under your parents wing. It's dangerous out there, I know you don't like hearing that and don't believe it to a large extent but going solo is dangerous. Going solo without any kind of idea of how brutal this world is, well that's much more dangerous. Breaking the law consistently as a vagabond will get you caught and the moment any police find out your under age they will send you right back to where you started. Just wait man, finish school get a diploma. You won't regret graduating, there's no harm that can come from it.

Reactions: roughdraft

angerisagift

Reaction score
without going to much into it, yer basically a huge liability to anybody who you travel/squat with being underage. sorry but thats the way it is and ide say that anybody worth their salt wouldnt take that risk, its one thing to get popped and do a weekend in county lock up but its another to aid and abed a runaway.
PREACH!!!!!!!!!!

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Meh just try not to be on bad terms with your folks. If it isn't going to make a difference keep in touch with them and let them know where you are. So if the cops ask just tell them your folks know where you are. Try to get your GED and whatever. Just try to do it right if your going to do it.

Reactions: ShadowOfOdin

Jawek

Reaction score
I did some research and I am only a liability to anyone who is aware I am a runaway but does not turn me in, if I use my head than I am just telling everyone that I am of age.
I believe that I should not let the next few years of my life go to waste, I am not passing high school and I would need to be 18 to drop out. Getting caught would mean the end of my adventure but on the flipside it would be a free ride home. Right?

ShadowOfOdin

Reaction score
Lulz

downloadfile-3.png
downloadfile-2.png

Jawek

Reaction score
I did some research and I am only a liability to anyone who is aware I am a runaway but does not turn me in, if I use my head than I am just telling everyone that I am of age.
I believe that I should not let the next few years of my life go to waste, I am not passing high school and I would need to be 18 to drop out. Getting caught would mean the end of my adventure but on the flipside it would be a free ride home. Right?
Definitely keep in touch with my folks

D

Deleted member 125

this is not correct. you are a liability being underage period. telling people you are 18 or older just makes you a liar. if a cop stops you and anybody you are with and asks for id and finds out you are underage, the people with you will get in trouble whether or not they say you told them you were of age or not. i dont know what state you are in or what research you did, but no you dont have to be 18 to drop out of high school in most states. ide say spending the next few years of yer life in kid jail is a pretty bum deal which is a strong possibility for run aways in most states.

TrainingHoppers

Reaction score
Hello nomads and wanderers, I would like to introduce myself as someone who has recently tried and failed at running away from home. I realize that many of you have bias against people like me because 99.9 percent of us are ungrateful asswipes who do it because we get in a fight with our parents or do it for attention. I do not feel sorry for my self, I get along with my parents well, and I am not looking to impress anyone; please do not be mistaken. I currently reside in the United States and am 15 years old. I am the type of kid who loves life very much and spend almost all of my time outside of school outdoors by myself. I do not spend my time worrying about my appearance, my social media, or playing video games. I have spent time with squatters in my area, I appreciate the squatting lifestyle very much and the interesting people it produces. I am also the type of person who fixes their own problems, however unorthodox the methods are. I also have very little interest in schooling because I don't believe it has an important role in my future.
I spent the past few months planning, scrounging gear, and tying up all of my loose ends so I could make my way out of the shitty suburban lifestyle I have always known. I wanted to leave all technology behind and become a nomad. I had mapped out my way to the nearest railyard and eventually I broke free and biked my way there, the idea of train hopping was intriguing to me and an old squatter friend had told me all about it. I knew that if I could get to the railyard and lay low for an indefinite period of time, that a train would stop and I could get on it because my friend had recommended the specific spot. When I got there, all sorts of trains were stopping and going but none of them were going in the right direction, for the first two days, I waited and watched all the trains stop but they were all going the wrong direction. An old squatter had seen me sleeping in the cold and rain and invited me to come by his fire and smoke weed, I gratefully accepted, we became good friends. On the third day, I decided that I would board any train that stopped, there were only two directions they were going. I also became much more careless about my hiding place and was spotted by the train crew on a passing train. They sent a yard worker to clear me out of the area, who I told I was just taking pictures, but he still made me leave. I was on the lam, and I knew people who cared about me would be out looking for me and my picture would be everywhere. Pretty much as soon as I had left the railyard, I was spotted and driven home by police.
This happened fairly recently but I can reflect from this experience with guilt and wonder. When I was on my own I felt like I was at home with myself and I cannot describe the feeling. I believe that life on the road is the correct path for me.

Now that I have described my situation, I would like to get into the real reason why I am putting this on here. Now that I am back with my family and with society, I really want more life on the road even though it has been a few weeks since I ran away and I only lasted three days. I think that if I had been less careless and more patient, I would have made it. It is difficult living on the run and I believe that I would not have lasted longer unless I had boarded a train.
In my state, there are laws regarding runaways, they pretty much just say that any 17 year old is not a runaway and cannot be searched for by police. I think I should give another shot at living on the run because the absolute freedom that comes with it makes it definitely worth it, but I can always wait 14 months for a much easier approach.

Is there anyone on here who has advice for me on being on the run, or on riding trains, any advice helps, (especially from experienced runaways).

Please personal message me anything that is actually helpful so stupid kids who don't know what they are getting themselves into can't read the advice.

I just posted a thread on this same Issue, I was thinking about running away. I posted about it and tons of people basically explained it's better for you to finish any school/education you can until you are of legal adult age, and after that, the authorities could give fuck all boutcha'...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads