Moving to slab city

AMD

Reaction score
Completely under prepared at the moment will be arriving mid July to become a permanent resident. I know I know this kid doesn't know what he's getting into. Your right I don't lol. All I know is I need something simpler an this seems nice! Getting a few more paychecks before I go looking for some essentials that I will need to bring. I know I need a way to get water an I think I'm pretty well off with the idea of a katadin pro pump filter and 4 packs of aqua treatment tabs for redundancy. Obviously some shelter I'm looking at a good 10mil thick 10x10 tarp an an etool. I found a decent solar set up that I have no clue how to use. I'm hoping the residents will be kind enough to show me how to use it. What I'm really curious about though is what things do residents need on a regular basis that I can make sure to bring for bartering? I thought about a bulk order of life straws but I feel like there's other things they may find more valuable. Thanks for your patience reading this I look forward to communicating with you guys!

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You're packing up and moving to Slab City to be a full-time resident and you've decided to make that move in mid July? The average temp at that time of year is about 120 degrees there. Probably even a bit hotter. You're coming from Maine where average temps in mid July are 70 degrees. Is this a troll post or are you actually being serious? Did you look at those numbers? You're used to 70 degree summers. You want to go to pretty much the hottest place on earth and just live there permanently? I think you might wanna put some more thought into this. At very least your timing. Like perhaps put this off till mid October. Ride it out through winter and spring and see how you feel about living there in July come next April. Your plans as of now have about a 0.9% chance of working out. I think that's even being optimistic.

AMD

Reaction score
You're packing up and moving to Slab City to be a full-time resident and you've decided to make that move in mid July? The average temp at that time of year is about 120 degrees there. Probably even a bit hotter. You're coming from Maine where average temps in mid July are 70 degrees. Is this a troll post or are you actually being serious? Did you look at those numbers? You're used to 70 degree summers. You want to go to pretty much the hottest place on earth and just live there permanently? I think you might wanna put some more thought into this. At very least your timing. Like perhaps put this off till mid October. Ride it out through winter and spring and see how you feel about living there in July come next April. Your plans as of now have about a 0.9% chance of working out. I think that's even being optimistic.

I have thought about the heat and yes it is a concern but I was in Florida for awhile last july though August an the humidity was much higher and I survived without shelter there. Truthfully this is not a troll post. I am very serious about this. If this does not work out for me then so be it the residents there will have a field day with my supplies I bring in. Also for a time in my young adulthood I was a firefighter so extreme temps are familiar although not comparable to the length of the time I will spend during the days there at slab city. My mind set is if I can make it through July - September then I will make it long term! I prefer to jump head first. I appreciate your concern though.

I have done some online research into slab city but nothing is comparable to personal testimony would you care to share some of your experiences in slab city?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't have any experience there in July. I went there in March and it was already heating up. I've heard enough people talk about what it's like in the summer there and I've watched enough people baking on stream to realize it just doesn't look very forgiving at all. I'm not trying to shit all over your dreams or anything I mean fuck man, prove me wrong. I really hope that works out for you but it just seems kind of nutty to me. Maybe you'll fit right in though. I think anyone choosing to live there through summer has to be kind of nutty. You're right about one thing for sure. If you can make it there through those conditions you should be able to make it there long term. There's also all those social dynamics you might want to account for. There's been people who show up there geared to the teeth with similar goals, they throw down a camp set up some fencing and solar cameras and the whole nine and that kinda rubs some people the wrong way. End up coming back from a quick run to the store and your generator is gone. Idk, I definitely wouldn't just find a spot and claim it as my own right away. It might be wise to sort of meet people, make some connections. Feel out the vibes, learn which areas make the most sense for you to consider setting up at, etc.

AMD

Reaction score
I don't have any experience there in July. I went there in March and it was already heating up. I've heard enough people talk about what it's like in the summer there and I've watched enough people baking on stream to realize it just doesn't look very forgiving at all. I'm not trying to shit all over your dreams or anything I mean fuck man, prove me wrong. I really hope that works out for you but it just seems kind of nutty to me. Maybe you'll fit right in though. I think anyone choosing to live there through summer has to be kind of nutty. You're right about one thing for sure. If you can make it there through those conditions you should be able to make it there long term. There's also all those social dynamics you might want to account for. There's been people who show up there geared to the teeth with similar goals, they throw down a camp set up some fencing and solar cameras and the whole nine and that kinda rubs some people the wrong way. End up coming back from a quick run to the store and your generator is gone. Idk, I definitely wouldn't just find a spot and claim it as my own right away. It might be wise to sort of meet people, make some connections. Feel out the vibes, learn which areas make the most sense for you to consider setting up at, etc.
Yeah I don't plan on anything grand. I prefer modesty and being humble. My goal is to be as self sufficient as possible an to get established to where I can put my talents to work for the community. I spent a summer in Puerto Rico on a mission trip in highschool an helped build a school. I don't claim to be a survivalist but I do know the basics. An I hope the residents will welcome my helpful intentions. I don't want to be that guy who's all alone lol. I prefer being around people over being solitary. Can you tell me a bit about how windy it is there? With it being very open terrain I assume it is very windy! Also do you know if there is a garden of sorts there? I know that peppers, green onions, an alot of other vegetables will grow in aird environments if given the proper attention.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Well, the previous experiences in PR and in FL will be helpful. I do agree with @Eng JR Lupo RV323 that you're much, much better off starting in october.

Before I begin, you should use the search here as there are a TON of threads about slab city and most of what im about to say has been covered in more detail in those threads.

The highest temps I ever personally experienced in Slab City was about 115 in July. It felt like someone put a brick in my stomach. It was extremely unpleasant. I can't imagine 120 or even 125. That's straight up stupid and I don't suggest anyone do it. I've literally watched friends that live in Slab City full time over the past 10 years slowly lose their minds, and it's because their brains are literally getting baked every summer. They're different people now, and not for the better.

There's no shame in bouncing out in April when it starts to heat up and coming back in October when things cool down again. This is literally what 90% of the SC population does. It goes from about 1100 people in the peak season (i.e. winter) to less than 100 people during the summer.

To answer your question about the wind, yes, it gets windy, but it depends on where you're at. If you're up on the plateau (near salvation mountain) it's going to be windy as hell all the time. further back towards the canal, not so much. there are still wind storms throughout the season and the occasional rain storm so don't go camping in a riverbed and try to get a camp with some tree cover if you can.

Lastly, IMO slab city has seriously lost a lot of it's magic over the past decade or so, about the time the internet started to talk about it, it started going downhill. once folks started SELLING their slabs (on land they are squatting) and doing things like opening fucking hostels for tourists, it stopped being an alternative community and moreso a bum camp for folks that couldn't cut it in real society.

also, it's a half-mile square area, and all the cool stuff around it has been tramped out years ago. so it's gonna get kinda boring there in just a short amount of time.

croc

Reaction score
Sorry man, I gotta second Matt n Lupo, this is like an unhinged idea.
I'm from Florida, spent 20 something summers there, and would still never live in slabs in the summer ever for any reason and I PREFER the heat to cold.
The dry heat is worse than humid heat in my opinion bc it's sooo much easier to dehydrate. People die in the slabs every single summer from the heat. U have to wear thin clothing that covers most of ur body and keep wetting it all day to keep cool.
The ppl who live there over the summer are insane. You'd have to be to stay there thru that satanic heat. Everyone is miserable and on edge. There's also barely anyone there so I've heard it's just grumpy and lonely.

I highly advise being almost anywhere else during the summer n goin to slabs in the fall.
Like we're talkin lighters exploding at "room" temperature there in the summer heat dude. Shits bad for the brain and body.

DikembeMuhobo

Reaction score
Basically everything that matt and lupo said, with crocs 2nd. I can personally attest to as having stayed there on and off until I decided a few years ago i had enough of the tweaker/sunfried brain madness. Not everyone is like that, but whereas in any other city the most annoying home bums are scattered about, in SC they are concentrated in small area and "folks who just wanna live their life and not bother anyone" are the ones who are the minority. Like me, most those who would fight for you and watch your place while you're gone got sick of the bullshit and left. Don't get me started on the slumlord/hostel asshats.... shit has changed, and not for the better imo.

Having said that, I do agree if you're set on it, you do you- what's stopping you from just making a visit first though? Go in the fall/winter and then you can see for yourself without the heat of satan's bee hole.🔥 I also STRONGLY ADVISE you to not be the guy who has never been to slabs, and shows up with a fuck ton of gear and "supplies for barter" right off the bat. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but metaphorically it sounds like a cartoon where a turkey casually strollin up into a wolves den just slathering itself with butter and fixins bout to take a dip in the gravy hot springs. Not even saying you will be robbed necessarily (maybe tho), you will likely be picked clean by your kindness and inexperience. Be safe whatever you do. Legal protection is your friend, not cops. I won't elaborate.

Facts: The temp is a real thing, I have lived in florida/nola/ga/sc summers, I have experienced the sweatiest swamp-ass the southeast has to offer. Humidity is different from dry heat for sure. I tolerate it about the same as I'm pretty good with heat over cold- but I also quit drinking years back and drink a fuck ton of water often. IF you drink booze heavily, don't even think of going there your first time in the summer. Also to reiterate: dont assume bc the internet says it's the "last free place" that you can just set up shop and everyone will leave you alone. It's basically like Matt said now-"bum camp for folks who can't cut it" but even to elaborate; that means a large portion of residents are also mentally/socially unstable, that is before compounding the fact that extreme heat actually contributes to the instability as well as increases a rate of violence about 2-3 times. Here is an excerpt from an article I will attach for you. There are many from many resources if you search it.. If anything, just give a quick skim. You'll thank yourself.

"Patients with severe psychotic or mood disorders, substance abuse disorders, or cognitive impairments, who are able to compensate with marginal executive functioning during periods of normal weather, are challenged during intense heat and can lose their fragile ability to make plans, have good judgment, and effectively care for themselves. These patients are more likely to experience heat stroke and other heat-related morbidity. Evidence supports these impacts on psychiatric patients:

• Emergency department utilization and hospitalization increase for patients with preexisting psychiatric illness during heat waves12,13

• Preexisting mental illness alone raises the risk of mortality during extreme heat events 2- to 3-fold14,15

• Patients with schizophrenia may have underlying impairments in thermo-regulation (intrinsic to the disease), which might explain the perplexing sight of psychotic patients bundled up in layers on hot days16

• Psychiatric medications (eg, antipsychotics, anticholinergic antidepressants) have the potential to impair the body’s heat regulatory functioning; sweating and dehydration can increase lithium levels, putting patients at greater risk for dangerous toxicity during heat waves. "

-https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/impacts-extreme-heat-mental-health🔫🔫

Safe travels with wherever you end up. I'd say go post up in Nola deal with that heat first, get a slight taste of what the community is like, and wait till late fall/ winter. If slabs were rated on a scale for green/fresh travelers to seasoned I think i'd put it about an 8. I don't mean to make assumptions but going by what you said i'm trying to help= Not somewhere if you're not already somewhat street savvy to be.

Last bit of advice most important. Farts Are Funny. FAF4L

NoGodsHezekiah

Reaction score
Completely under prepared at the moment will be arriving mid July to become a permanent resident. I know I know this kid doesn't know what he's getting into. Your right I don't lol. All I know is I need something simpler an this seems nice! Getting a few more paychecks before I go looking for some essentials that I will need to bring. I know I need a way to get water an I think I'm pretty well off with the idea of a katadin pro pump filter and 4 packs of aqua treatment tabs for redundancy. Obviously some shelter I'm looking at a good 10mil thick 10x10 tarp an an etool. I found a decent solar set up that I have no clue how to use. I'm hoping the residents will be kind enough to show me how to use it. What I'm really curious about though is what things do residents need on a regular basis that I can make sure to bring for bartering? I thought about a bulk order of life straws but I feel like there's other things they may find more valuable. Thanks for your patience reading this I look forward to communicating with you guys!
As other people have said it is very very hot this time of year and it's going to be a rough adjustment. I have lived in the desert as a permanent resident, where temperatures were similar to slab city. It is doable, but without AC and a proper shelter it will be a very difficult change.

As far as what to bring I'd say water storage is almost more important than your water filters and life straws. You'll want the military grade water storage containers (the kind you see on the back of humvees and jeeps.) These won't leak like others inevitably will. If you have a way to transport it, a larger farm water storage container (the white cube kind with metal bars on the outside) will be your best friend. Some way to secure your valuables is also a must, a heavy safe maybe?

Reactions: roughdraft

Jerrell

Reaction score
I'm gonna double down on all the warnings.
I've not personally ever been there in June, July, or August....and for good reason.
I spent a summer in Iraq with limited cooling options, but more than what's available in Slabs and it was rough enough.
Most of the residents of Slabs are energy vampires. Many are addicts with unfettered access to substances of choice, but no access to mental health resources (or drive to stop self-harming).

I don't know what you're running from, or to, but Slab City is not a cure.

Cops still come thru to harrass.

I could literally stab you to death in front of the Internet Cafe and nobody would snitch.
You'd just be another dead homeless to the Imperial Country Sheriff's Dept.

Instead of going to Slabs, maybe find some National Forest to haunt.

Gin

Reaction score

Yeah not a lot of people have experience of July on the Slabs lol. Most people are Oct-April in Az.

Slabs in Summer-just the thought is worthy of a Rubber Room Commitment. You couldn't pay me to stay there from Easter thru Thanksgiving smh.
Yeah you were warned. Don't forget the sunblock

Reactions: Jerrell

Spazz

Reaction score
Never been there, but also read the "hype" and was thinking about checking it out over the winter.

What Matt says about heat is serious. My first summer out of a stix n brix in a 50+ year old body had me practically delerious. I was seeing what looked like faces growing in trees, although i was able to drive and consciously aware of the fact that not only was the Sistine Chapel a manmade work of art and not a natural wonder, but that it depicted Genesis in the Bible, not the Trojan War in the Iliad.

But i still kept seeing those tortured faces of agony in the trees depicting the absolute worst that was suffered by Patroclus, Hector, Andromache, Cassandra, etc. and objectively marvelling at the artistry as if i was in some hoity toity museum or something.

Not doing that again. Once was enough.

It's probably better to keep an open mind about places you read about and go for a visit to check them out.

Please don't ask me how i know or i'll talk your ear off and wind up just boo hoo hooing, lol.🤣

Gin

Reaction score
Yeah I'm almost 70. I'd be dead in 10mins. I never want to live anywhere that I can die without electric.
Nobody has mentioned the pollution & it used to smell horrible for miles. Don't know if it still does, I haven't been there in about 30yrz. I'm not Desert people since I had a guitar case explode in Az when it was 115 in my home.

Reactions: Spazz

Gin

Reaction score
Alot of the smell is coming off the Salton Sea. Ooooof.

I knew that. Stink is stink & I prefer not to live in it. But even if it didn't stink, I'd still prefer not to live in that area lol. I'm walking distance to Canada where life runs at a much lower temp

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads