Monterey, CA

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Still getting to know this place, but here's some shit so far:

-- Free trolley gets loops you through the major tourist-trafficked spots.

-- According to all the kids I talked to, the cops are generally cool, if you aren't harassing people or being a dick.

-- Last night, some kids blew up a spot next to mine and cops showed up. They kind of chatted and laughed, then the cops left and let them sleep there. I must have barely fell below the sights of their spotlight; couldn't imagine they'd not at least check me out.

-- The cemeteries in El Estero have crazy responsive security vehicles. Felt like they had heat sensors or some robo-radar. Couldn't set foot after dark without response.

-- McDonald's on Del Monte opens at 5am. They charge $1.00 for any size coffee(prob just in the am hours). They do not offer refills. Free wifi, but no outlets for charging.

-- The dirty kids and homebums are super fucking friendly here. Even a lot of 50/60-something locals will just come up and offer to help you figure the place out.

-- If you wanna camp away from sketchiness, take the hike up to Veterans Park. There's a cool looking American Legion hall at the entrance. Haven't found out if they all non-members in the lounge, but these places are typically dirt cheap to eat/drink.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
why el estero? thats creepi AF!!! :D i love vets park. just watch out for the raccoons. that american legion, actually many am legions and vfw's, will hook a brotha up. just show your va card.

i take the bus to carmel to camp. camp on the beach; less hike less hassle.

NB: This awesome Chinese lady named Grandma Chung pulls up in a food truck to feed people everyday at the soc services office, usually around 3-6 pm.

There are schoolbuses that round up the homeless around that time and take people to sleep at churches.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
why el estero? thats creepi AF!!! :D

Maybe I'm just a creepy fucker! I actually found a way in last night without detection. Camped with some Freeemason named Towle and kin. Didn't realize until this morn that was a full moon, even. If I get the chance soon, I wanna write about my digging around in that park.

i love vets park. just watch out for the raccoons. that american legion, actually many am legions and vfw's, will hook a brotha up. just show your va card.

I'm not a vet, but remember drinking at places like this before we were old enough to get into other bars. Vets Park is beautiful. It's where the local Occupy camp was, apparently. I just get lazy after lugging my pack around, exploring all day.

i take the bus to carmel to camp. camp on the beach; less hike less hassle.

I'm headed there next.

NB: This awesome Chinese lady named Grandma Chung pulls up in a food truck to feed people everyday at the soc services office, usually around 3-6 pm.

Whoop!

Reactions: Mankini

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
As far as feeds go in this town, there isn't reliable info online anywhere I can see. You just gotta ask around.

Each Wed around 10:30-11, a truck comes to volleyball courts, then Visitor's Center, with warmish pizza and other snacks.

Heard about others, but won't be sticking around long enough to confirm.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Carmel aint got shit, far as I know. I use it as a 'bedroom community', but do my foraging in Monterey and the other little townz.

PS: About 20 years ago, a gang of emo/goth kids got in HUGE trouble for breaking into hundred year old mausoleums there in el estero and making off with all manner of jewelry!!! They were called The Dark Lokos or some stupid shit :D

• Haha
Reactions: Rhubarb Dwyer

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Car week!!! :O Lotuses. Ferraris? Or the ''classic car'' type where all the elderly honk old fashioned horns and drive Model T's?

See if you can research the Dark Lokos. Apparently Victorians actually *would* bury Grandma or Uncle Hal with some serious gold and emeralds...people who can afford a 20,000 dollar mausoleum will bury themselves with all their earthly treasures as if they were King Tut or Tlexacoatl. LOL but I, being the spiritualist that I am, quake at the thought of crow-barring a rusty gate and then having a toothless Victorian ghost wanting its rubies back. :O

• Haha
Reactions: Rhubarb Dwyer

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Car week!!! :O Lotuses. Ferraris? Or the ''classic car'' type where all the elderly honk old fashioned horns and drive Model T's?

All of the above.

The entire downtown areas of Monterey & Carmel were taken over by uber-rich snobs with cars worth 6 figures.

Was fun hitchhiking out, though. I'd get all enthusiastic when the fancy pants sped by. Think Sissy Hankshaw meets Cannonball Run.

• Haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads