Moments that made everything worth it? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Moments that made everything worth it?

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
I got hit by a drunk driver when I was 13. She was given alcohol at a work function and drove home. I got a 100,00$ settlement. My parents put me in a psyche ward right before I was 18. I was in there on my birthday and my mom brought papers she told me were for my discharge. I was so thorozined out I just signed. Turns out my mom got a letter notorized saying I authorized them to transfer it to her and I just signed w/o reading. As you can tell im a little sensitive to shitty parents.

That is beyond uncool. I wish everyone had loving and caring caregivers. But it’s cool that you are a caring person who is willing to help others who are going through similar stuff. It seems like the apple has fallen a long way from the tree and grown into something beautiful. (Apologies if praise makes you uncomfortable, just sayin’)

Reactions: Anagor

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
The main reason is helicopter parenting and lack of time. We're about halfway through the first quarter of school, so a lot of my time is spent making sure if I do rejoin society years from now I at least have something to land on. That and my parents' main hobby is tracking everything I do at any given time of any given day, so its hard to do something they wouldn't approve of and get away with it. In a year, high school is over. Then I can go wherever I want, whenever i want, with whomever I want.

Gotcha. Yeah, it’s probably best to finish strong in school and abide by the wishes of your parents while you live with them.. They probably have good intentions (like wanting to keep you safe), but that sucks they don’t give you your space. Like Gwasher said, feel free to vent about it here. We got your back. A year isn’t that long, in the grand scheme, you will have your independence soon.
If, on the other hand, your home is unsafe or you are being abused, then there are immediate steps you can take to get out of that situation. And again, we got yo back.

Last edited:

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
P.s: a note about the “no regrets” thing.. My life experiences are not universal. I have had a wonderful life, but not everyone has it so good. In fact, it seems that a lot of people experience trauma, which sucks.

Well, as I wrote before I got depressed with my life, cause things did not turn out like I thought/hoped. But that is not the only thing. The point is that I had the feeling that it was not my fault. In fact the reason I did not graduate from university, that I did not "made a carreer", that I still lived in my parent's house with 40, that I did not save some money ... All this - at least to 90% - was not cause I was lazy, dumb, made bad decisions, etc. It was cause I prioritized the wishes and needs of others (esp family) more then my wishes and dreams.

Said that, compared to what others have experienced, I can not complain so much. My life did not go like I planned as I was 20, but it was not soo bad. I never experienced trauma, violence, etc. I always had a good relationship (and still have) with my parents. I always had friends. I never was starving and I never felt like that everything is shitty.

So, compared to what a lot of my friends I met on the road had to endure and what they experienced, I can consider myself very lucky.

And yes, it’s a big and potentially dangerous world out there,

Of course. Everyone should be well aware of the fact (just as an example) that every time you sleep outside in a doorway or whatever you could be robbed, beaten, even killed. You never know what happens. And it doesn't matter if the place you are is considered dangerous or not. It just needs one idiot who is in a bad mood or just crazy ...

On the other hand, driving to work in your car is dangeous as well. How many people just thought to go for groceries and ended up in hospital (or at the graveyard) each year due to traffic accidents? Just think about it. Life is dangerous whatever lifestyle you live and is deadly in the end of the day. ;)

so stay smart, be careful and always follow your intuition. If something doesn’t feel quite right, it probably isn’t.

Yep, trust your gut feeling, always. If something does not feel right, it *most* probably is not right. Never put yourself in a position that you feel you have no choice, but to do something you don't feel okay with!

That being said, don’t let fear hold you back from something you really want to do.

I totally agree. :)

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
I'd say..
For me, it's the amazing people i've been able to meet along the way.

I’m really looking forward to that part. Haven’t had many friends/ travel companions on my adventures, but I know I’m about to. I’m fully embracing my own unique path, so I will find my people along the way. And maybe some dogs and cats too.

Have fun everyone!

D

Deleted member 16701

Pretty much anytime i get settled in for the night on a good rooftop that im not supposed to be sleeping on or anytime im on a freight. Actually im usually pretty stoked to be traveling no matter what im doing.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads