Modern day piracy and crew poll . . . ?

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Umm yea we seem to have a little problem with the plan of making rum . . .
On deeper investigation of the basics of producing such gut rot, its not as simple as first thought. My fears are realized as it is certain that a still is required. This means that this endeavor is blacklisted right from the get go, though I am having trouble finding anything on any government or ATF websites I know for certain that production of alcohol via the process of distillation is highly illegal and a guaranteed federal prison sentence; especially in the interest of sales; so the sales aspect of this is as of now halted. However I am going ahead with the production of such as headstrong as can be. So for the purpose of personal consumption by myself and my closest friends "crew, island squatters etc,." we need supplies for such: glass containers, corks (both rubber and genuine cork) polyurethane (clear rubber) tubing, stable temperature producing cooking systems (or a pressure cooker - emailed someone in west Ashley from craigslist for their 15$ pressure cooker), copper and brass fittings, and a metal bucket.
NeomaxxAKI. If you come across any of these things on your trip or before hand we (current and future crew) would be much appreciative.
By the way to mods, site members and guests; I apologize for my slip in posting catch out details I was not thinking.
I know why this rule is in place and I am ashamed by the way I put this community at risk by my oversight and information promiscuity. I am appreciative for the temporary ban and will be more careful in the future.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So there are some new developments among the Foxtail island denizens. we have the make on a pair of apparently abandoned "up for grabs" sailboats nearby in my experience boats this nice looking do not easily get left behind like these one are fabled to be but its a lead and we must follow up on every lead.

The double ender looks similar to this one and very obviously has both main and jib sails (in the form of a roller furler)
HospiceRegattaGladTidings.jpg

The Trimaran looks similar to this one
oasis-aft_fs.jpg
note the narrow amas (outrigger hulls) and being in close proximity to the vaka (main hull) as opposed to the more traditional design that you can see here
folding-tri2.jpg
(note that this trimaran does not have the roller furler! I hate roller furlers! they are a lazy and destructive system for old fat bumbling retirees that cant haul on halyard. the roller furler keeps the sail out in the weather and in extended storage in htis position accelerates the rotting of the sail)

We have the dinghy which FoxtailV has so graciously copped for and it seems that as long as we have an outboard less than 5 horse power we do not need to register it. On that note spoon has done some research and believes he has a way for us to register our salved boats with out an address (the main drawback of obtaining boats legally)

My road dog Tomfool whom came here with me from Philly, in a fit of overzealousness short tramped out to Folley beach and there he met with folly. He was apprehended for public intoxication and was released from jail on personal recognizance and told to pay 700+$ or serve 10 days in the pokey. He decided to fly the coop and tramp it west, so we all sent him off with maps and directions and well wishes if not a few bruises from me and him brawling drunkenly the previous night.

This place is really no different from NOLA from what I have heard about the place (NOLA) the police profile you and with a larger than school pack you will eventually get stopped and questioned, threatened and marked for deletion. Wile this is disheartening i would implore you to think about this - is it ever any different? the cops will alwase try to scare and shuffle us in small groups, a large group of trainhoppers, crusties, travelers, hippies, homebums and the like will not be moved my a pair of blue suits - I'm not saying that with greater numbers we walk as a gang when we go out, but there will be times to show our presence and the point of it is to show the public that we exist, we will not leave and were not afraid of a show of force. 3 or less should take off skanks (hobo neckties) and try to blend in as best as possible think of it as being ninja in plain sight!
likewise generally speaking there is no money to be spanged downtown. Last night I got a wild hair up my ass and made 15 bux in 15 minutes just telling club going chix that they had nice asses and telling bad and sexist jokes and spanging for beer - even had one 17 year old girl unload 5 Coors lights on me from her purse. north Charleston has two walmarts that are gold mines. Doing what i call "cutthroat" walk and spange - spange EVERYBODY! but keep moving and try not to stay in one area too long i make circuits, with a small backpack and a "hungry traveler" line, i can make 50 or more on any given night. + there is like 4 other walmart's and decent shopping centers within one bus ride away (at the cost of 1.75 one way or 2.05 with roundtrip transfer)

If all goes well the island should be half way self sustainable - generating our own electricity, producing our own fresh water either via distillation or reverse osmosis, making 6 gallons of rum every week from food stamps and dumpstering all the food we can ever need as well as fueling food not bombs in an unprecedented way and as many as 3 large vessels could be loaded and cast off with able crew flying proper colors by Christmas headed for the sunny keys to put on pirate shows in pirate ports in sleepy Caribbean island towns.

YAR?

JohnnyNemo

Reaction score
This whole idea is genius, BTW.
If/when western civilization collapses...my backup plan for years has been to do the same thing, except in Florida or Cali.
My plan was to find the island near Bimini that magician David Copperfield owns and make him disappear.(Just kidding)

Barring that, I was gonna set sail from Cali for Australia.
OZ is the only continent in the world that is NOT going through a recession.
Their unemployment rate is 5.1% and, since a bunch of super-rich tycoons have fled the U.S. and are living in the Cook Islands, their economy could/should stay relatively stable.
There's also close to 1,000,000 feral camels in the Australian Outback and many could happily live on camel milk/cheese for the rest of your days.

It might interest you to know that a group of pirates may or may not have done this before the U.S. was founded, off the coast of Madagascar.

Libertatia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Libertatia (also known as Libertalia) is said to have been a libertarian/communalist a colony founded in the late 17th century in Madagascar by pirates under the leadership of Captain James Mission. Whether or not Libertatia actually existed is disputed. It is described in the book A General History of the Pyrates by Captain Charles Johnson, an otherwise unknown individual who may have been a pseudonym of Daniel Defoe.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Mission#cite_note-fortune-0 Much of the book is a mixture of fact and fiction, and it is possible the account of Libertatia is entirely fabricated.[1]
Libertatia is said to have lasted for about 25 years. The precise location is not known, however, most sources say it stretched from the Bay of Antongil to Mananjary, including Ile Sainte Marie and Foulpointe. Thomas Tew, the Provençal Misson and an Italian Dominican priest named Caraccioli were involved in founding it.

Captain William Kidd is said to have visited in 1697 to undertake repairs to his ship, and to have lost half his crew to Libertalia.

Yo Ho Hee! A Pirate's Life for Me

BTW, be VERY careful if you sail around Florida or the Carribean.
I've got a friend in the Coast Guard and she tells me that there A LOT more pirate/drug runner attacks happening.

Caribbean's lush isles are a pirates' paradise - Los Angeles Times
Caribbean's lush isles are a pirates' paradise

Attacks are growing along with the number of luxury yachts in the area. Prosecuting the guilty is a problem.

CHATEAUBELAIR, ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES — When two men wielding cutlasses and a third brandishing a gun burst onto their yacht at 1:30 in the morning, Allison Botros and the seven others aboard suddenly realized that "Pirates of the Caribbean" is not just a movie.
"Give us your money or we will kill you," Botros recalled the robbers telling them during the 15-minute ordeal. The mother of three from Cleveland was cruising with Swedish and American friends aboard the 70-foot Sway, which was boarded as it was anchored in this pristine harbor that is shadowed by the La Soufriere volcano and rimmed by swaying palms.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos.

Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it.

And even if he is not romantic personally he is apt to spread discontent among those who are."
- H.L. Mencken

Beautiful . . . As my former purse seiner captain of the F/V Renaissance said "Its bringin' tears to my eyes!"

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shit! I'm still gung-ho with this home made trimaran concept boat but I'm too much of a noob and lazy to figgure out how to make a schematic with this google scetchup. If someone has some skillz with graphic design that would be great other wise I'm just gonna wing it, I got the plans in my head all I lack is the sailboat specific materials; deck wenches, unweighted keel and a tiller/rudder assembly.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tried to use that google sketchup and it just pissed me the fuck off.
MSpaint FTW! this is the rough draft of what I see in my mind for a home built trimaran made nearly entirely out of materials found in most any city the main and outrigger hulls (vaka and amas) made out of 55 gallon plastic water drums.

65794_1424539253261_1226139953_30958920_2591206_n.jpg

69063_1424539373264_1226139953_30958921_8278770_n.jpg

65717_1424539653271_1226139953_30958923_4654278_n.jpg

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Interesting concept. I see some week points. Here's some things to think about.

Your keel/centerboard is much bigger than you need, and not well enough supported unless you are planning on a really beefy internal frame. I'd suggest looking at liftable lee boards on each side of the vaka. They can be made of 3/4 plywood and deep enough to reach as far below the water as the total depth of your hull. This will be much stronger and will give you everything you need as far a weatherliness, with the added advantage that you can pull them up for beaching.

Your rudder is structurally week too. and it's not just the rudder, it's the HUGE torque it puts on your hull. There's a reason why traditional design uses pint'ls and gudgeons both top and bottom. There are several ways to deal with this, depending on how hightech you want to get. The most primitive solution is the steering oar.

Also, you wouldn't believe the force that comes on the akas as you roll in a seaway. Depending on size, you may want some kind of vertical truss structure, or you may find you're going a different direction than your amas.

You didn't say how you planned to attach and seal the seams. It will a week point. Joints and seams always are.

It looks like you are thinking about square rig. (BTW the yards need to go forward of the mast.) Although squares can be bombproof downwind (they're jibe-proof), they're not very weatherly and a lot more complex to rig. For simplicity, you might look at lug sails which, with a minimum of lines, can be rigged to be almost a square sail downwind and almost a gaff sail on the wind.

Good luck!

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So Neo and I just recovered from our tramp out to the "potentials" we set out sometime after midnight with new locks, bolt cutters, one liberated oar and a oar made from a 2"X3/4" board with a flattened 2 liter bottle filled with great stuff and wrapped with ducttape - ghetto but worked well. Foxtail seen us off and the tide was wit us all the way to the bottleneck the tidal flow rocketed us along to the river with the boats on it then we fought current dogging through peoples multi million dollar homes private docks the moon setting in a pool of misty blood we finally came in sight of some lights floating above the water - it was the double ender. we pulled along side and I called "ahoy, anybody aboard?" wrapping on the hull its clearly a wood sealed. Nobody answered and we boarded it and inspected the topdeck gear and rigging. wheel and mainsail covered proper for storage with canvass a full solar array and deck BBQ the lock was shitty and I cracked its combo in under a minute. entering the cabin its clear that this boat was/is cared for by a long distance sailor, paraphernalia points to this sailor having been all over the eastern seaboard and Caribbean the bulkhead storage compartments are filled with informational books, entertainment books and shitloads of gizmo's and half necessary gear. We were spooked and left quick i pulled my monocular out and scanned the misty horizon and banks for the triple hulls of the trimaran and spotted it we got back in the dinghy and steered the boat wit the tide to it. Climbing aboard of the trimaran its already clear that this boat represents the other spectrum of boats - the deck is slick with algae and bird shit Neo nearly broke his neck and I slipped and slid around on the surface pulling the boat to the head of the current and let it float beneath it between the portside outrigger hull and main hull and tied it off to the deck. taking the boltcutters to the cabin door I snipped the lock off with minimal effort and we descended into the dark expansive cabin. just as Foxtail and Spoon had told us there was candles everywhere and we light a few up and assessed the surroundings and explored the interior - I'll save the details of this next 24 hours but it was disheartening as it came apparent that this boat is a piece of shit the three hulls are flooded with topdeck leakage from rains we dumped enough trash materials in the river in the dark of night to put us in a state prison for 20 years, getting the boat down to only whats absolutely necessary. the clutter cleared I set about arranging things in there proper places dished and possibly edible foods in the galley area, linens in a linen storage compartment, human hygiene products in a organizational basket in the head, and cleaning products as well we ate and slept. We woke up and continued ridding the boat of dunnage and organizing things that were useful i pulled the sail from a exterior gear box ( there may be more than one sail in the bundle, it was such a huge bundle of canvass it has to be a main and jib!) and we decided to depart. fighting the current under the influence of some really old liquor found on the boat we beat a path up currant and made the bottle neck where the currant got so bad that i had to get out and walk along the treacherous shore in my rubber boots pulling the dinghy along Neo using the oar to keep it off the rocks. we tired I got a migraine from the alcohol and we made it to some place that we could lock the dinghy up and we walked back to the island.
the trimaran needs massive ammounds of work! it can comfortably sleep 4. 6-8 could squease if we share bunks ;-) or we hollow out the head and make that a captains quarters and shit off the side of the boat. the cabin is like a small aquatic dorm we could really squeeze and have people sleeping in the engine room witch could sleep an additional 3 people the trimaran is 40' with a 23' beam (width) and i assume no more than an indended 4 or 5 foot draft - it has potential but i would rather sink the POS.
The doubleender is beautiful but could really only accommodate 3 and that would be squeasing it is ready to sail now, the motor may need some work BUT! BOTH BOATS HAVE THE SAME MOTOR! both Volvo pentas clues aboard the doubleender point to this boat having some kind of engine trouble, but its alot more manageable than that fucking trimaran . . .

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
good luck best of wishes...i've had this dream for a while....but to have a caravan of boats. it will still be years before i'm at where i wanna be, but i'm sure i'll see ya on the high seas

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
128783143379.jpg

YARGGG!

PIRATES BOOTY FOUND!!!

LOL! this post gave me "rubber tramp" status

So yea thanx for you input there again cranberrydavid I admire your analytical mind appreciate and insight - however as i said that schematic is just a "rough draft" i just kinda got carried away with the stabilizer keel fin and rudder just for shits and giggles then after i had saved the fairly large images as JPEG's i said fuck it to the want of editing the square rigger gear to the front the front of the mast. lookin unlikely that I'll actualy follow through with this little side project anyways with the new developments of other larger and more worthwile boats but something I would like ot do someday think it could be a fun little home made racing trimaran - provided I can somehow manage to use newer and stronger materials than some construction scraps.
God wish you could come with us, your seeming engineering/sailing expertise astonishes me!
But I need to learn on my own though - Have fun on your cranberry farm bro!:dablackpearl:

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wile we don't NEED a 4th person but you need us.
Were leaving soon, no ETA but we are leaving 3 is lonely 4's a party.
where are you 4th crew mate?

plotting course by seaclear, mileage by google and waypoints in America first foreign stop may be cuba . . .
4th person should really have foodstamps already were racking our brains to figgure out how to bring enough provisions together for ourselves.
This is gonna be epic!

JoshyWashy

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
i dont have food stamps unfortunately... i havnt read through all of this, where are you leaving from and heading to? just a general area is fine too. i dont have any skills with motors but im good with wood and hand tools. im also a resourceful person and a strong swimmer.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hmm.... maybe you should read through all of it then? think of it like applying for a job application. would you just apply for the job with out knowing what the job entails?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads