MN > MO > CO

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
Personally I would layer my clothes properly to avoid the extra encumbrance of a second sleeping bag. Get yourself a foam mat, cheaper alternatives include several layers of yoga/gym mats or cheaper yet cardboard (free) to get yourself off the ground. You'll lose a ton of heat to the ground otherwise. Buy a cocoon or bivy sack to sleep inside of, cheaper alternative: get a tarp and some rope and fashion a cocoon to keep the wind off and the rain out. Suburban KCMO is the least of your worries, probably some pretty sweet sheds, underpasses, bandos, and other roofs to sleep in and under there, it's the desolate regions of northwest and north central Kansas that are going to blow monster donkey dong at night. Eating a lot and staying hydrated will also keep you warmer. Alcohol won't keep you warm but it will put you to sleep, careful with that though you could fall asleep unprepared and end up freezing to death, however I always seem to wake up, shivering

Wow!! Thank you so much! This is super helpful!

pewpew

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Heading out on my first trip. Just finished selling/getting rid of everything I own and heading to KCMO in 2 weeks. Then I'm heading across Kansas to Denver. Anyone got any points or tips for a rookie? I'll be honest, I'm a bit nervous. Anyone ever made a trip from Kansas City to Denver?

I took this route earlier this year actually from south Kansas to Denver. Went thru Liberal and Garden City Kansas till I got a ride to Holly Co..Pretty much gonna go thru a lot of desert but I had a lot of luck getting kickdowns and long distance rides the entire way. People are really nice over in those parts anyway and will help ya out anyway they can.

Also, I would recommend a self inflatable sleeping pad, very light and comfortable...can usually find one for about 30-50 bucks on Amazon.

Reactions: Jimmycinno

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads