MN > MO > CO

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
Heading out on my first trip. Just finished selling/getting rid of everything I own and heading to KCMO in 2 weeks. Then I'm heading across Kansas to Denver. Anyone got any points or tips for a rookie? I'll be honest, I'm a bit nervous. Anyone ever made a trip from Kansas City to Denver?

K

Kim Chee

If I'm nervous about something it is because the danger is real.

Do you normally get nervous about stuff?

If you are really troubled about hitting the road you may really want to meet up with somebody you think you might get along with.

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
If I'm nervous about something it is because the danger is real.

Do you normally get nervous about stuff?

If you are really troubled about hitting the road you may really want to meet up with somebody you think you might get along with.

I'm a pretty timid person. Meeting up with someone is what brought me to StP. I'm hoping to link up with someone that has experience hitching and surviving.

G

Grubblin

Are you hitching? If so, is there some reason that you're going to KCMO before CO? If not, you might want to try and go as far south as possible before you head west. The wind and the temperature will be brutal along the route you have planned, especially at night. I would stay away from Texas though - the cops there live only to hassle people - my opinion based on my experiences.

• Useful
Reactions: Jimmycinno

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
hopping or driving or hitching?

what makes you nervous?

I've got a ride to KCMO but I'll be walking across Kansas to Denver from there. Im nervous about people and running out of water while I'm in between towns. It might sound silly, but I'm mostly worried about finding places to sleep. I don't think I'll find any or many hospitable places, so I plan on camping a lot.

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
Are you hitching? If so, is there some reason that you're going to KCMO before CO? If not, you might want to try and go as far south as possible before you head west. The wind and the temperature will be brutal along the route you have planned, especially at night. I would stay away from Texas though - the cops there live only to hassle people - my opinion based on my experiences.

Is it THAT bad?? My ride is heading to Louisiana and KCMO is about level with Denver so I figured I'd tuck and roll there, and hoof it. Hitchhiking makes me nervous. I've never done it before and I don't really have a time frame to get to denver, so I figured I'd make an adventure of it.

G

Grubblin

You get tired enough and you'll find a place to sleep, that I can guarantee. Camping is always a good plan but it's fucking cold right now. even with a good sleeping bag, wearing multiple layers of clothes, and sleeping in a car. I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know what you may, and probably will, encounter as far as weather goes anyway. There are quite a few old posts on cold weather camping here if you want to look them up.

• Useful
D

Deleted member 125

kansas to denver is like...400 miles thats a hell of a walk. ide imagine youll get over being timid about sticking yer thumb out pretty quickly, especially if yer pack had what youd need for a 400 mile or so walk.

you mentioned having gear and boots in a previous thread, but what kind of gear are you planning to bring?

G

Grubblin

Bad is a relative term. What I find bad you may find a mere inconvenience. If you don't have any plans or anywhere to be then why not fly south for the winter like a bird. Just check the recent temps and winds along the route that you plan on traveling and if they seem like you can hack it then go for it. For me the winds are the worst, I can deal with the cold but the wind cuts like a knife. That's just me though.

• Useful

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
kansas to denver is like...400 miles thats a hell of a walk. ide imagine youll get over being timid about sticking yer thumb out pretty quickly, especially if yer pack had what youd need for a 400 mile or so walk.

you mentioned having gear and boots in a previous thread, but what kind of gear are you planning to bring?

I just got rid of everything. So now I've got a little bit of cash, some dry food, a back pack, sleeping bag, and my guitar. I've got family in Denver, so my plan was to reflect and pack accordingly.

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
Bad is a relative term. What I find bad you may find a mere inconvenience. If you don't have any plans or anywhere to be then why not fly south for the winter like a bird. Just check the recent temps and winds along the route that you plan on traveling and if they seem like you can hack it then go for it. For me the winds are the worst, I can deal with the cold but the wind cuts like a knife. That's just me though.

I hear you on the wind. I guess I imagined anything south of where I'm at would be warmer. I'm in southern Minnesota at the moment. It's starting to hit the 50s here, which is basically shirt and short weather here lol. I've got a 0 degree sleeping bag. Am I not prepared for this??

G

Grubblin

I don't think those ratings mean much for the bag. I have a zero degree bag and I still tuck another bag inside it and I'm rubber tramping in CO at the moment. It gets to 50 or 60 here during the day as well but during the day your moving so that's not a problem. The problem is at night when you're trying to be still and sleep. Less activity = less body heat and the temps drop into the 20s. Are you not prepared for this? I can't answer that question bc it depends on you.

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
Again, I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm only letting you know what you may be in for bc you're new.

I really appreciate it. I'm not second guessing myself, I really don't have a choice in my position. I guess you're just making me think more about how to do this. I'd imagine I'll probably end up hitching to avoid the cold. Thanks for lookin out, brotha!

D

Deleted member 125

I hear you on the wind. I guess I imagined anything south of where I'm at would be warmer. I'm in southern Minnesota at the moment. It's starting to hit the 50s here, which is basically shirt and short weather here lol. I've got a 0 degree sleeping bag. Am I not prepared for this??

what kind of backpack? like a school backpack? or a hiking pack? a 0 degree bag is a good start have you considered what to do when it rains?

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/squat-the-planets-ultimate-gear-guide.26425/

check out that thread if yer wondering what you might want to pack.

F

FrumpyWatkins

I would not recommend walking through Northern Kansas in February/March, the average low in some of those areas is like 15 this time of year, and storms roll in pretty often.

Sleeping bag ratings don't mean anything especially when it's in the teens out and the air is damp. Add actually getting wet and most would find the setting to be unpleasant. Don't forget about wind, without some kind of windbreak, 32 is going to feel like 2 in that bag.

Realistically speaking it's a 600 mile trek on foot, with gear and fatigue, and exposure (it's actually a real thing, most of us get it in mild forms all the time and don't even realize it) by day 2 even a hardened backpacker would only be averaging 2 or 3 miles an hour, with dry and flat ground conditions. Say you put in a solid 8 hours of beating feet everyday, that's like 25 days of walking. There are more scenic month long hikes you can do.

Also, if you do decide to walk, don't walk on the freeway take less traveled back roads, resupplying will be a little more of a challenge, but I can guarantee your sleeps will be less noticed by watchful eyes and more comfortable.

At least it will be warming up by the time you reach Aurora :p.

I would certainly recommend reevaluating your feelings on alternate methods of travel besides walking. Research thumbing I-70 west.

Jimmycinno

Reaction score
I would not recommend walking through Northern Kansas in February/March, the average low in some of those areas is like 15 this time of year, and storms roll in pretty often.

Sleeping bag ratings don't mean anything especially when it's in the teens out and the air is damp. Add actually getting wet and most would find the setting to be unpleasant. Don't forget about wind, without some kind of windbreak, 32 is going to feel like 2 in that bag.

Realistically speaking it's a 600 mile trek on foot, with gear and fatigue, and exposure (it's actually a real thing, most of us get it in mild forms all the time and don't even realize it) by day 2 even a hardened backpacker would only be averaging 2 or 3 miles an hour, with dry and flat ground conditions. Say you put in a solid 8 hours of beating feet everyday, that's like 25 days of walking. There are more scenic month long hikes you can do.

Also, if you do decide to walk, don't walk on the freeway take less traveled back roads, resupplying will be a little more of a challenge, but I can guarantee your sleeps will be less noticed by watchful eyes and more comfortable.

At least it will be warming up by the time you reach Aurora :p.

I would certainly recommend reevaluating your feelings on alternate methods of travel besides walking. Research thumbing I-70 west.
Thanks for that!! I was planning on walking Minnesota Avenue out of KCMO and heading through neighborhoods. Sounds like I should bring two sleeping bags, but if my bare minimum luggage would be better suited hitching, then I guess I'll just have to deal with it. What kind of exposure are you referring to?

F

FrumpyWatkins

Thanks for that!! I was planning on walking Minnesota Avenue out of KCMO and heading through neighborhoods. Sounds like I should bring two sleeping bags, but if my bare minimum luggage would be better suited hitching, then I guess I'll just have to deal with it. What kind of exposure are you referring to?

Exposure:
  • A condition of very poor health or death resulting from lack of protection over prolonged periods under weather, extreme temperatures: hypothermia sunburn windburn frostbite fatigue lowered immune defenses etc.
Humans need warmth and protection from the elements. The cold and damp starts to wear on you pretty quickly.

Personally I would layer my clothes properly to avoid the extra encumbrance of a second sleeping bag. Get yourself a foam mat, cheaper alternatives include several layers of yoga/gym mats or cheaper yet cardboard (free) to get yourself off the ground. You'll lose a ton of heat to the ground otherwise. Buy a cocoon or bivy sack to sleep inside of, cheaper alternative: get a tarp and some rope and fashion a cocoon to keep the wind off and the rain out. Suburban KCMO is the least of your worries, probably some pretty sweet sheds, underpasses, bandos, and other roofs to sleep in and under there, it's the desolate regions of northwest and north central Kansas that are going to blow monster donkey dong at night. Eating a lot and staying hydrated will also keep you warmer. Alcohol won't keep you warm but it will put you to sleep, careful with that though you could fall asleep unprepared and end up freezing to death, however I always seem to wake up, shivering, but alive.

Hitching is weird, you could be at your destination that very day or it could take a wwwhhhiiillleee. If you do decide to hitchhike, prepare for the journey as if you weren't going to hitchhike, chances are you'll do some hoofing and outside sleeping just the same.

• Useful
Reactions: EphemeralStick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads