Mil-Spec warning! (cloth items)

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
So I wanted to warn you guys about this shit. I've had a few pairs of BDUs and I move less then a solider is expected, and I have a Mosaad pack as well as a CFP-90. They're falling apart, and I bought them while I was in SLO in November of last year. There's no fuckin reason why this stuff should be falling apart so easily aside from the fact that the military expects it to be disposable.
I can't vouch for other stuff, but I can tell you the ammo boxes and resupply crates are really nice. Just be careful what you buy next time. I'm even worried about the rope they sell now... Not paracord, I mean the thick rappelling rope.

travelin

Reaction score
What manufacturer is on the tag on the cfp-90?

What specifically happened to the pack?

Can you post pics of the damage?

While the cfp-90 was not issued in huge numbers, quite a few made their way into the field and just about all the reviews from guys who humped them out at the sharp end were positive, although some reported problems and there were some catastropic failures.

The cfp-90s failure to be issued military wide was its inability to accept the artic sleeping gear internally. the powers that be decided that a pack system that a soldier could use all over the world in any environment was what was needed for US military personel.

Contracts for production had already been let and so many of these packs were bought and simply stored untill recently when they began showing up on the surplus market.

Of course, any gear can fail but i am curious about this pack failing.

Is the massad duffle made by rothco?

While rothco does sell a LOT of stuff to the government, they also put out on the civilian market a lot of stuff that is NOT mil-spec. Mil-spec is very precise in its requirements and a lot of stuff bought new from these type of defense contracors are not mil-spec, but "sort of" mil spec, using cheaper materials, cheaper thread, shoddy workmanship and is usually foreign made.

D

Deleted member 125

ive had 2 pairs of bdus and the only thing ive ever had to do to them was patch a small hole in the crotch. i think they are pretty solid.

K

Kim Chee

I've had several BDU pair and haven't had any premature failure. I'd suspect they either weren't mil-spec or TUP has acidic sweatindexhhh:D

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
i wore the same pair of bdu pants for three years, the only thing that went wrong with them is one of the cargo pockets ripped off, but that was another persons fault, and a hole developed in the crotch

E

Earth

I've seen a whole lotta mil spec stuff that's coming out of China which tells me its either counterfeit or they just don't care about spending money on the troops.
Suspect its a little bit of both...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'm inclined to think you got some counterfeits, too. My BDUs are as durable as they've ever been.

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
only by barry compliant military gear if your worried about quality and durability

Mad Max

Reaction score
I was in the Navy a couple of years after the army switched to digital camo. While I was in I had heard that the army BDUs were pretty much falling apart within 6 months. I have always worn BDUs even before I joined. I have not had any issues with any of mine. Except for the fact that the navy ones look terrible. But I have never owned any of the army digital BDUs. I would stay away from the navy boots to. They are uncomfortable as all hell, and fall apart a few months after you break them in. Straight garbage!

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
If you bought your ruck from that surplus store in SLO, it's probably not mil-spec. Those guys sell some real shit.

Of course, the straps on the CFP suck. I ripped mine after a few months. Picked up a yuppie pack (Gregory Savant), and it's tough like a brick shithouse.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads