Major Amtrak derail In Philly

Art101

Reaction score
.Woke up to this this morning.Im wondering if it was a bad switch and it is right around the area of a switch and a spur track.You cant even tell the first car beside a pile of mangled steel.Rough night in Philly for sure sadly and amazingly only 6 died.Just do a search for Amtrak derailment.

Art101

Reaction score
All transit trains out of Philly going to NYC shut down plus SEPTA trains to Trenton and Atlantic City not running.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Has any freight traffic been affected?

it's been a while, but i don't think there's that many lines between philly and trenton, so i'm guessing this is definitely blocking freight as well.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yeah I've been following this - rails shut down while investigation goes on - Just heard on news about 15 minutes ago they are discovering that the train entered a turn that was deemed at max 50 at more than 100 mph. Still looking for "black box" thing, plus inspecting tracks and other things. The eyewitness reports sound scary as hell.

Preacher

Reaction score
I'm here in the area. 7 dead, hundreds to the hospital. Yes, hit a turn rated for 50-55 mph at 102mph. About 3 seconds before it derailed they hit full brakes at 106mph. Engine just kept going straight, of course. It was right at a minor switching yard too, so I'm sure freight is gonna be affected.

D

Deleted member 20

Of course i am in newark heading south. This may explain the lack of traffic that way. I am waiting on the Juice Train South in the Oak Island yard. I am not sure if they are still running a normal schedule or not.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads