Louisville, KY - Underground bike park - mega cavern

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone does this - I do some dirt - this looks freaking awesome! Wonder if anyone has been through it before they came in with the track.

Underground Bike Park Opens Monday
20K+ shares /

facebook-24.png twitter-24.png google-plus-24.png stumbleupon-24.png pinterest-24.png
By: Billy Brown

How do you design a bike park where it never rains and the temperature’s a steady 60 degrees all year round? Simple: Put it 100 feet underground.

21388.jpg

Kentucky’s Louisville Mega Cavern is about to open as a 320,000-square-foot underground mountain bike park.

It comes complete with 12 miles of underground trails(!), including jump lines, a BMX park, pump tracks, dual slalom, and singletrack. We’ve never seen anything like it.

The park is slated for a “soft opening” on Monday, and reservations are requested in advance. If you’re in the area, make sure to call ahead. It’s BYOB (Bring Your Own Bike) for now, but the company hopes to have rentals set up as early as next month.

21392.jpg

Learn more at LouisvilleMegaCavern.com.

21398.jpg

21399.jpg

21400.jpg

From their website http://www.louisvillemegacavern.com/attractions/6/underground-bike-park
ABOUT MEGA BIKE
Are you ready to experience a one of a kind Underground Bike Park? Over 320,000 square feet including over 45 trails, Jump Lines, Pump Tracks, Dual Slalom, BMX, Cross Country and Single Track all in a former limestone cavern 100 feet sub-surface. Enjoy the comfort of our 60 degree temperature year round. Come experience what the buzz is all about. You simply won’t believe what you see.

MEGA UNDERGROUND BIKE PARK PHOTOS
Oooo found some stuff.
The mine was founded by Ralph Rogers back in the 1930’s. He was a great visionary who saw the need for highways in this country especially to the south. He was said to be able to look at a site and tell you just how much rock that he could get out of it. His business did very well; especially back during the Depression of the 1930’s when the government put people back to work by supporting the construction of new roads and bridges.

ralph-rogers.jpg
The Louisville Mega Cavern is a 100 acre limestone cavern capable of shrugging off a 260-mph tornado and boasts a constant 58-degree temperature. The cavern under the Louisville Zoo has remained virtually dormant since the last load of limestone was mined nearly 20 years ago to build bridges and roads across the Midwest.

In the post 9-11 world, government agencies and high security businesses are looking for ultimate security, and the Underground offers just that. With limestone and earth between the cavern ceiling and the ground above, the cavern could withstand the most violent tornado or an airliner crash.

During the Cuban missile crisis in the early 1960s, state officials made plans in case of nuclear attack to house 50,000 people in the cavern because it's a natural bomb shelter. With four entrances, positioned close together, access is easily controlled by a series of security check points.

Geologists say that this is the safest place in Kentucky," Jim Lowry, the co-owner, said.

Attachments

• facebook-24.png
    facebook-24.png
    311 bytes · Views: 362
  • twitter-24.png
    twitter-24.png
    421 bytes · Views: 344
  • google-plus-24.png
    google-plus-24.png
    561 bytes · Views: 365
  • stumbleupon-24.png
    stumbleupon-24.png
    743 bytes · Views: 325
  • pinterest-24.png
    pinterest-24.png
    692 bytes · Views: 353
D

Deleted member 20

Why are there lame fucks in spandex with drop bars on cyclocross bikes there? I am a bike snob, but this just doesnt seem like that kind of park. I would want it to be a NO lycra zone!; & for those whop have seen me in my tights like taking impromptu garden hose showers in backyards, behind stores & in parking garages across the US/CA know why. Ask @Trvshwvng

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@highwayman - Never done a cyclo but I work/volunteer at them - this past year had several UCI teams from around the world here - they train on these things - Cyclo can be pretty rough - it's some of these technical tracks either on cinder/stone, grass or rocky dirt then hop off the bike and jack it on your shoulder and go jump and cross several dbarriers (the really good guys can jump them) then while running - hop back on bike, clip in and you're off - there are bridges, climbs and downhills all on the same alternating terrain. So yeah - they train on anything. Saw many in lycra although the guys from my mtb club come better equipped with more downhill (boo boo resistant hopefully) mtb type clothing. Fine line on some of the mtb tracks I've been on - I have both kinds of clothing - and wear the shorts and stuff and sometimes knee and forearm protection - have a full face as well as I used to do a lot more downhill reckless shit on the one bike -- and yet out at the one mtb park - the lycra peeps are there with cyclo - and doing well. But have some several torn lycra shorts from the branches and falls. :)

Art101

Reaction score
Fn awesomeness makes me want to get a bmx bike again and ride...Wonder if they have an out of shape smoker geezer class of racing.

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
@highwayman Those spandex shorts are so plagued with crotch rot......

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads