Looking to travel, any nice people out there? (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
Greetings! Welcome and a sincere good luck. There are many nice people here* and on the road. Use the search window to research how to vet travel partners, road dogs, etc. Tell us a little about yourself - where you're headed, where you've been. You can review everything everyone here has posted for what it's worth. Driving to Atlanta next month - last time was 2016, Atlanta and Savannah. Georgia is beautiful - I can't imagine why you'd want to leave.

*I'm not one of them

Last edited:

Django

Current Location
Alaska-Argentina on a bike
So you are technical enough to quote and even edit the original message (a big no no in the internet community if you ask me) but you Tottaly ignored the tips about maybe introducing yourself.

Think of the recipient of your messege (us). A new member, no info, nothing specific. You basically waved at us from the window of a moving bus.

Try harder or go home?

DcHoliday77 apparently didn't edit any qoute so I reduce my assholeness to 4/10 (original msg was around 8/10). My bad.

Last edited:
OP
DcHoliday77

DcHoliday77

Current Location
Glennville,GA
So you are technical enough to quote and even edit the original message (a big no no in the internet community if you ask me) but you Tottaly ignored the tips about maybe introducing yourself.

Think of the recipient of your messege (us). A new member, no info, nothing specific. You basically waved at us from the window of a moving bus.

Try harder or go home?
I can introduce myself.
I can hit reply and quote too.

But I haven't edited a post. Not sure where that came from.

OP
DcHoliday77

DcHoliday77

Current Location
Glennville,GA
Greetings! Welcome and a sincere good luck. There are many nice people here* and on the road. Use the search window to research how to vet travel partners, road dogs, etc. Tell us a little about yourself - where you're headed, where you've been. You can review everything everyone here has posted for what it's worth. Driving to Atlanta next month - last time was 2016, Atlanta and Savannah. Georgia is beautiful - I can't imagine why you'd want to leave.

*I'm not one of them
I'm a writer and I'm looking to travel America again. I've done it 3 or 4 times. Want to get out of Georgia for a while. I want to see places but not by myself this time, maybe have some company. I'm42 and I've got an MBA.

Last edited:

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
@Django : I amended my original 7-word post to include more of the stuff to draw @DcHoliday77 into our little community - they didn't edit it.

Anyway @DcHoliday77 are you interested in heading up the East Coast, Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, Alaska Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, 4 Corners, Pike's Peak, Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, etc.? What's your inclination - urban enclave or as faraway remote from fellow humans as possible (excluding, of course, your travel companion)?

OP
DcHoliday77

DcHoliday77

Current Location
Glennville,GA
@Django : I amended my original 7-word post to include more of the stuff to draw @DcHoliday77 into our little community - they didn't edit it.

Anyway @DcHoliday77 are you interested in heading up the East Coast, Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, Alaska Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, 4 Corners, Pike's Peak, Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, etc.? What's your inclination - urban enclave or as faraway remote from fellow humans as possible (excluding, of course, your travel companion)?

Anywhere everywhere! I want to go back to pikes peak and then all of those places. :) I prefer remote instead of urban areas.

Last edited:

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
That's the spirit!

Depending on your preferred mode of travel, I'm fairly certain you can find a compatible (hopefully) drama-free companion here - & when you do be sure to write up and post pictures. A shared experience is enhanced exponentially. Being 42 and a writer with an advanced degree, I imagine you're already well aware of this.

Anyway, I for one will look forward to reading about your adventures

OP
DcHoliday77

DcHoliday77

Current Location
Glennville,GA
That's the spirit!

Depending on your preferred mode of travel, I'm fairly certain you can find a compatible (hopefully) drama-free companion here - & when you do be sure to write up and post pictures. A shared experience is enhanced exponentially. Being 42 and a writer with an advanced degree, I imagine you're already well aware of this.

Anyway, I for one will look forward to reading about your adventures

Absolutely. I can't wait. 😊

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
& try not be turned off by @Django's harsh-seeming rhetoric (or beard) - our 'community of misfit travellers' encourages everyone to conform to certain protocols, namely, not just dropping in to request information without giving anything back - just as you wouldn't show up empty-handed to a party, eat like a pig & drink like a fish without offering anything worthwhile in return. If you were born and raised in the south, I imagine you wouldn't dare exhibit such crass behavior - all based on my assumptions, of course.

Last edited:
OP
DcHoliday77

DcHoliday77

Current Location
Glennville,GA
& try not be turned off by @Django's harsh-seeming rhetoric (or beard) - our 'community of misfit travellers' encourages everyone to conform to certain protocols, namely, not just dropping in & demanding answers without giving anything back - just as you wouldn't show up empty-handed to a party, eat like a pig & drink like a fish without offering anything worthwhile in return. If you were born and raised in the south, I imagine you wouldn't dare exhibit such crass behavior - all based on my assumptions

I understand 👍

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
Check out some of the featured threads and the resources forum; also @Koala, @croc, & @siid's recent* travelogs are fairly compelling, even if you don't intend to hop trains or hitchhike.

Additionally, my earlier comment about not being able to imagine why you'd want to leave Georgia was uninformed - or not fully formed, rather

this site is all about travel for its own sake

*relatively

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Members online