Looking for digital sailing resources (1 Viewer)

He Who Abides

Hi! I've not posted here much but I figure I should start giving it a go. Hello!

I used to live on a sailboat with me pa when I was a lad, and I learned a little bit, but it's been some time now and I'm thinking of getting myself a fixer upper sail dinghy to learn on. What can I say? The sea has a way of calling you back to er.

I was wondering if any of you guys had links to ebooks or epubs online for learning how to sail/beginner resources. I only have a smart phone and not too much cash, so anything that is free or "being shared online" is appreciated. We could maybe use this thread to pass around the links so others are informed.

Also, general advice would be cool. I'm no greenhorn to the sea, but I'm definitely not a seasoned sea dog either. Likewise, not all my knowledge is 100% on spot or in synch with the parlence of our sailing times. Probably a lot of things I could improve... that and I don't know what 50% of the ropes and cords do lol. Probably good to fix that.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Durp

Hobo
How is it going! I have found a lot of stuff on the web, but I think the best resource is a book called "the Complete sailor." It is a fantastic, detailed yet entertaining text with plenty of descriptive illustrations along the way.

K

Karol Triskel

I deleted myself
Ahoy He Who Abides ! What sailboat have you ? What area are you sailing at the moment ? My first aswer is : ask sailors , dont be shy :D but if you are look some sailing school on You tube . Lot of info you will find there my friend. Skipp Novak for example :D Yachting world -sailing safe or some . Tell us , show us what boat you have , maybe somebody have some info about good and but side of your boats. Regards !
http://www.libramar.net/news/sailing_for_dummies/2013-01-24-830
http://yachting.web.cern.ch/yachting/courses/YCCSailingCourse.pdf
http://www.cityisland.com/pdf/sailingprimer.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainShawn

Pilgrim
Screw the Sailing Dinghy, Get online to Craigslist, Kijiji, and any other sites you can find, put up an ad for wanted free sailboat that needs work, fix it up yourself on the cheap. Sailing a 20-30ft sailboat is no harder than a dinghy, learning on this will also provide you a place to live off the grid. When I bought my Martin 29 I didnt know anything after meeting a few people around the docks and having them take me out on my boat sailing bribing them with a few beer at the end of the summer I knew how to basic sail and had a great time. Also walk around the boat yards in your area ask the owner if there is any derilict boats that have not paid there storage in a long time. Some yards will give them to you for little money or nothing and drop them in the water just to get rid of them for the space. Make sure they give you a Bill of sale though in case you ever run into the original owner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
thegreatestsalad