locking bikes up in the slabs? (1 Viewer)

texastraveler

Hometown
Pacific Coast Hwy
anyone know if there's a good place/method of locking a bike up in the slabs? usually i lock the seatpost down, put the front tire next to the rear and lock thru the tires and frame. are there any signs/trees/whatever i can put a U-lock to out there? also i was curious if anyone's had an issue with sand in their chain

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Hometown
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
I am a former bike messenger and unsure what style bike and length of ulock. My experience with locking bikes up is that it all depends where and for how long. This is not slab city specific. My fixed gear gets locked through the rear triangle and rear wheel to itself when nothing solid is available. I recognize that SC is a place that had its own culture and vibe. The plus side is that it's a small community and hopefully most neighbors don't shit where they eat and steal from each other. Haven spent time on Island communities I assume some parallels exist. On many islands things are never really stolen. The surplus of free items that get recycled is really high. Rarely items are sold, roadside free piles and dump piles of useful items are plentiful. Things like bikes and even island cars do not get locked. They are communal (based on need) in a sense while being owned by individuals. If an item is like locked than it is strictly off limits! As an island with only access by boat it's hard for anything to really be removed. One uses it and leaves it when done only to be used again and eventually makes it back to it's natural place of majority use. Like the yellow bike program at Burning Man it would be nice if more of this style of cooperation existed but totally get that you do not want your bike ending up in some unscrupulous tweakers possession for his/her next fix. Anything left unattended long enough will eventually probably dissapear.

I think it comes down to the same mentality about where one stashes there pack while traveling. It is always the best available options that presents itself. Often simply hiding in plain sight while staying near your person is the best solution in addition to locking to something solid.

OP
texastraveler

texastraveler

Hometown
Pacific Coast Hwy
I am a former bike messenger and unsure what style bike and length of ulock. My experience with locking bikes up is that it all depends where and for how long. This is not slab city specific. My fixed gear gets locked through the rear triangle and rear wheel to itself when nothing solid is available. I recognize that SC is a place that had its own culture and vibe. The plus side is that it's a small community and hopefully most neighbors don't shit where they eat and steal from each other. Haven spent time on Island communities I assume some parallels exist. On many islands things are never really stolen. The surplus of free items that get recycled is really high. Rarely items are sold, roadside free piles and dump piles of useful items are plentiful. Things like bikes and even island cars do not get locked. They are communal (based on need) in a sense while being owned by individuals. If an item is like locked than it is strictly off limits! As an island with only access by boat it's hard for anything to really be removed. One uses it and leaves it when done only to be used again and eventually makes it back to it's natural place of majority use. Like the yellow bike program at Burning Man it would be nice if more of this style of cooperation existed but totally get that you do not want your bike ending up in some unscrupulous tweakers possession for his/her next fix. Anything left unattended long enough will eventually probably dissapear.

I think it comes down to the same mentality about where one stashes there pack while traveling. It is always the best available options that presents itself. Often simply hiding in plain sight while staying near your person is the best solution in addition to locking to something solid.
i've got a schwinn 684 and lock it the same way you do with the exception of i remove the front wheel and lock it to the triangle and rear wheel. i'm not concernes about the long term residents but it'll be peak tourist time. really i'm just wondering if there's a permanent structure that i can lock it to that won't be too far away. i could lock it to the canal fence but that's a bit out of sight

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Hometown
adrift
3) 90# sacks of ready-mix concrete - $15
1) 4' #5 rebar doubled into U shape - $5
1) 2 ft.³ hole - spade* + elbow-grease
= more security than anyone except the most ambitious thief would foil

*& maybe a spud-bar

croc

Vagabond
Hometown
Roads n rails
I severely doubt there is any possible way to lock up ur bike in the slabs without it being at least picked for parts. The tweakers out there are relentless.
Best to keep it with u or at a trusted camp that doesn't get left unattended.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Hometown
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
I find it comical that most of the folks commenting on this post about Slabs don't even live here.

Are you planning on abandoning your bike for a week, or just locking it up for a few hours?

If you are only going to be away from it for a few hours, my advice would be to find a camp that your get along with (I know the opinion of The Library is very low on here right now, but there are plenty of other camps), and ask if you can lock it to a post or something inside their camp.

croc

Vagabond
Hometown
Roads n rails
I find it comical that most of the folks commenting on this post about Slabs don't even live here.

Are you planning on abandoning your bike for a week, or just locking it up for a few hours?

If you are only going to be away from it for a few hours, my advice would be to find a camp that your get along with (I know the opinion of The Library is very low on here right now, but there are plenty of other camps), and ask if you can lock it to a post or something inside their camp.
I'm basing my reply on the fact that the library is never left unattended for the specific reason of tweakers stealing shit. Yall have directly told me this.

OP
texastraveler

texastraveler

Hometown
Pacific Coast Hwy

depends, i plan on staying a while and riding it into palm springs when i need shit, so it'll spend maybe a day or two locked up. i don't know either matt or corn so i'm not interested in all that drama. thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Social distancing? Try traveling - whether it is a tramp van, a train or even a bike.
Favorite thing to do during an apocalypse??
First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.
I hope that y'all are good and safe wherever you may happen to be. Take care of yourselves, may the wind always be at your back <3
When Democrat and Republican politicians argue and fuck up so badly we end up taking 1st place in Plague Inc irl:

So, here's something great! After finally saying NO to eating carbs and sugar this morning (since that's mostly all there is to eat at home) and instead bought and ate vegetables, I actually don't have cravings anymore!

All I've eaten today is two sweet potatoes and some broccoli, and I don't have any food cravings, and I'm not lethargic!
Matt Derrick wrote on snailormoon's profile.
aww i really like your new profile picture.
Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.

Members online