Video - Life Lessons From a 7-Thousand-Mile Bike Ride | Squat the Planet

Video Life Lessons From a 7-Thousand-Mile Bike Ride

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Jedidiah Jenkins quit his job and decided to bike from Oregon to the southern tip of South America. His best friend, filmmaker Kenny Laubbacher, came along for the ride. This short film follows Jenkins as he shares what he's learned from his journey so far. “When you’re a kid, everything is astonishing. Everything is new, and so your brain is awake and turned on ... Once your brain establishes a routine, it stops ... the alertness goes away,” he says. By choosing adventure Jenkins is able to reactivate his brain and turn his “hundred years on this planet into a thousand.

Read more about Jedidiah Jenkins' adventure: https://www.good.is/articles/why-biking-7-000-miles-to-patagonia-is-essential-for-creative-living

The Short Film Showcase spotlights exceptional short videos created by filmmakers from around the web and selected by National Geographic editors. We look for work that affirms National Geographic's mission of inspiring people to care about the planet. The filmmakers created the content presented, and the opinions expressed are their own, not those of the National Geographic Society.

Know of a great short film that should be part of our Showcase? Email SFS@ngs.org to submit a video for consideration.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
On the fifth day I said let there be GTA...

1000001_bso_gta_v_20130923094627.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
Really nice, I got this road bike that needs a little TLC but I have never bike traveled, biked alot in general but never traveled via bike, always thought about it and am thinking of doing it this Sept or Oct make my first journey from Oceanside CA to Joshua tree , hell I ought to make it to the jamboree then but once I grab some new tubes tires and pannier , I'm going to try and rig some DIY panniers . Il be ready my first plan was to save up working tarts a van n rubber tramp bt the bike is less burdensome , no insurance no gas, less maintenance

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Really nice, I got this road bike that needs a little TLC but I have never bike traveled, biked alot in general but never traveled via bike, always thought about it and am thinking of doing it this Sept or Oct make my first journey from Oceanside CA to Joshua tree , hell I ought to make it to the jamboree then but once I grab some new tubes tires and pannier , I'm going to try and rig some DIY panniers . Il be ready my first plan was to save up working tarts a van n rubber tramp bt the bike is less burdensome , no insurance no gas, less maintenance

im going down the west coast starting at the end of july, going through those places and then out to the jambo...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads