Legality of carrying knives (and other weapons?) | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Legality of carrying knives (and other weapons?)

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
In Louisiana its a felony to carry anything at all that could be used as a "dangerous weapon" if you've ever been convicted of a felony... Most states have a blade length law and you have to watch concealment laws... I carry a 3 inch fixed blade, 9 inches overall... A Muela Colibri, and I have to remember to take my 8 inch Bowie and boot dagger out of my pack before I hit the road.... And autos are DEFINITLY off limits....

Dmac

Reaction score
true there are blade length laws, for both folding and fixed blades. where i am at (nebraska) a folding knife cannot be 3 and 1/2 inches or longer. you should be able to find a particular states law on line.

acrata4ever

Reaction score
they vary from state to state http://www.knife-expert.com/sta-law.htm#A-H
in my state metal knuckle are illegal. mine are homemade of bullet proof plastic and can be carried through a metal detector. yet in missisippi mine are illegal as they are made of a hard substance. switchblades are illegal in my state but box cutters with break away blades that give you 6" of razor sharp steel at a flick of a switch are not. nunchucks are illegal in my state they are classed as slung shot. a very useless weapon as it backfires on your own hand when you hit something with it. although these are illegal a length of oak dowel with RETURN TO DESK written on it with marker and length of dogchain with a keyring on the end is not. also in my state chemical spray can be concealed i take this to also mean oven cleaner (it can be argued in court). concealed firearms are illegal in my state. yet any convicted felon or person with a history of mental illness can buy a black powder pistol in the mail carry it concealed even a sawed off black powder shotgun, and carry it into a school bank or post office. its an antique replica firearm it doesnt become a weapon until you use it to commit a crime. fucking stupid gangbangers and their illegal weapons lol.

Reactions: RVLG

MrClean4Ever

Reaction score
I carry a 21 inch Kukri, in California. Haven't ever had to use it, anyone that's thought of fucking with me, stopped when they saw I pretty much had a sword sheathed at my waist. The cops love it. It's awesome and they can't take it from me. Haha. Hope I never, ever have to use it on anything living, except plantlife, I cut that shit to shreds! Useful for sage gathering.

Leap

Reaction score
In canada there are no knife laws reguarding size, which is why swords are legal though theyll never let you know that. They only have laws reguarding switchblades and anything that makes the blade come out fast: gravity, spring, a lever you name it and its illigal. Though there may be laws by province that i don't knpw about

MrClean4Ever

Reaction score
I don't even know why people bother with switch blades, and I also don't understand why they're illegal.. Besides, if you wanna get real nasty, just buy yourself some materials at home depot and build yourself a wrist blade.. Yeah, you may have seen it in the movies.. Dude presses a button and has a huge blade pop out of his sleeve. It's very do-able, but I'm sure it'd get you arrested in a heartbeat if a cop ever saw it. Alternatively, you can build a smaller one for your boot, though I just installed screws on my boot that I can screw spikes on to if I feel like I'm going to have to enter a dangerous area. I try and keep it legal, keeps implications low.

0ddity

Reaction score
In canada there are no knife laws reguarding size, which is why swords are legal though theyll never let you know that.
-
This is beyond awesome.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
When I first started out traveling, I was alone. Being 5'3" and having less muscle mass than I used to, I originally carried a KABAR. For those of you who don't know, this is a Serious-as-fuck, Body-slaying, Fixed-blade combat knife issued by the USMC and other branches of the U.S. Military. I chose to carry this weapon because I know how to use it; I actually WAS in the USMC for awhile and am trained WELL in hand-to-hand combat. However, after a few months in I thought about it, and decided to not carry it anymore. The reason for this is because I DO know how to use it, and I have been specifically trained in how to use it to straight-up murder people basically. I didn't want to be forced into a situation where I would have to take someone's life that quickly and brutally, without allowing them time to think twice about attacking "the small guy". I picked up a tire thumper at a truck stop, and now carry this when I travel. It's a round hardwood baton about 16-18 inches long, and has a weighted metal end. I would have no hesitations about breaking someone's hand, wrist, arm, knees or face if forced to, but I don't want someone's blood on my hands who potentially could have changed their mind, run away, and left me alone.

Reactions: Odin

Mad7o7

Reaction score
So I don't know much about other places because I have not set out yet. But where I live the police have told me that if your knives flip into their own cover then you can keep them in your pocket. If they do not have their own cover and they are bigger then you need to keep them in a sheath or cover type thing on your belt. Also there are certain places where different types of knives are illegal when they are legal in other places. So basically if you bought your knife in Idaho it is probably not legal in Washington.

D

Deleted member 20

I am a former US Marine 0311/cbirf/meu myself I totally agree with @Viking_Adventurer & not wanting to carry an illegal length combat knife out among the civilian population. I have attended knife fighting schools, line training & other combative mixed martial arts with & without hand held weapons. I cant say that I have the use for a thumper either although I always thought they are cool especially the lil aluminum ones that look like a tiny baseball bat. The real weapon i constantly carry with me is knowledge. I have & can improvise weapons out of anything. I was once an angry sociopath & would dream of altercations out of boredom. I dont actually act too much on those thoughts these days & limit my blade to a legal sized tactical folder & pray that I dont use it on another human.

Durp

Reaction score
anytime I have gotten into trouble it was in shit urban areas where plenty of bottles bricks and broken boards where around. I've had guns pulled on me and talk my way out, except for the moron in Portland that pulled an uncocked saftied .44 on me. he got his elbow reversed and his head kicked in. Pawn shop gave me $200 no questions asked for the fire arm as I'm a normalish looking white dude. If its cocked I just give them my shit, then pick it up after they dump it a couple blOcks away. I have nothing of value to a thug.

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score
Personally, I like to have both a knife and gun around for when I'm going somewhere. Of course if you do that then having an understanding of both and how they work is a duh but that's obvious. If you are willing to take the risk with cops and your everyday idiots then so long as you're in the US you can carry a handgun openly in any state besides California, D.C., Florida, Illinois, New York, South Carolina, and Texas. Many others have a level of restriction of course in either some level of permit, or where you can carry it, etc but that's all up to you in your decision making.

Long guns however open a level of option to you and there's a number of nice designs and even homemade ones that will grant you your defense intention but also can make great survival weapons to use for limited hunting or dealing with a predator. California, D.C, Illinois, Florida, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New Jersey don't allow this but most places have little to no restriction on it outside of the obvious.

Price ranges can be a little daunting but some nicer deals exist. Personally if you're having issues or worried about cops, yet still want a bang bang for your reasons then I would recommend a flare gun with a separate subcaliber device that can be had on the previously mentioned BudK.com. Since they're flare guns and a metal tube, it doesn't count as a firearm until they're put together and can be stored separately in your pack or wherever else then the insert can be put in when needed. Hell, get a 22 one (27 bucks if I remember right) and a 45/.410 and you're set to go with a good survival/defense weapon and hey you got a nifty firework launcher too!

Art101

Reaction score
Im sorta curious about packing a tomahawk.I mean technically it is an axe.Also I had a friend that had a 1300 style English war hammer he used like a walking stick.Before you say anything look up what a real war hammer looks like lol. Just some other ideas of defensive things you might be able to get away with.

anynameyouwish

Reaction score
I hop with a bad ass commando knife used by the spanish special forces & that I carried when I was a US Marine grunt back in the 90's. I usually have it in my pack & always fear loosing it so maybe I should just get an inexpensive tactical folding knife. Plus I may have a felony conviction or 2 so it would prob best to leave it home next time. Its a hell of a lot easier to ditch a $20 folder than a $200 knife that means something to me. Thanx for the eye opener guys.
you could get a pretty good folding knife from harbour freight, about $6.00

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads