Leaving Monday, thinking about starting towards Denver - Its been 4 since my last trip (1 Viewer)

echeneis

Lurker
Hometown
Phoenix
I am leaving on Monday the 15th and it has been 4 years since I was last on the road. I am going to Denver. Found this site while reading a Newsweek article about hobos. Never knew this existed but it seems pretty cool. I was thinking about going to Asheville, NC eventually. Never been, but I hear its "bum city" according to posts I've read on Reddit. But I take this to mean that there are a lot of travelers down there. Don't know what's changed since I've been away but looking forward to this. Is Denver too blown up? I was reading that there was some legal battles going on there concerning the "right to rest" act, but that it was shot down. The cops were doing sweeps, but it looked like they were going after tent cities. Anyway, I am glad I found this site and see you on the road!

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Feralninja

Lurker
Hometown
Minneapolis
I am leaving on Monday the 15th and it has been 4 years since I was last on the road. I am going to Denver. Found this site while reading a Newsweek article about hobos. Never knew this existed but it seems pretty cool. I was thinking about going to Asheville, NC eventually. Never been, but I hear its "bum city" according to posts I've read on Reddit. But I take this to mean that there are a lot of travelers down there. Don't know what's changed since I've been away but looking forward to this. Is Denver too blown up? I was reading that there was some legal battles going on there concerning the "right to rest" act, but that it was shot down. The cops were doing sweeps, but it looked like they were going after tent cities. Anyway, I am glad I found this site and see you on the road!
Good luck dude

D

deleted17310

I deleted myself
Denver police were kinda hard on the houseless population, there was a roundup going on where they were tearing down camp sites on the river while I was there last october. That being said the people of the city are super nice, if you practice in shop lifting or other dark arts the city is the lick though I have a friend that stole a car there and it was a misdemeanor, if he didn't give a fake name the cops woulda let him go with a court day. Legal weed, good urban culture, and easy to get a hot meal. Denver is a must see. Good luck

AAAutin

Wanderer
Hometown
NFA
I've been crashing around the river and Lakewood Gulch over the past week, and though I've crossed paths with a fair share of homebums, I haven't seen Denver PD around. So, maybe things have calmed down?

D

deleted17310

I deleted myself
I was there in late October of 16 and I saw a roundup on the river, they may have just been getting people to shuffle off to the shelters it was getting pretty cold

OP
echeneis

echeneis

Lurker
Hometown
Phoenix
Thank you for the info and encouragement cant wait! I guess there will always be stuff like that wherever you go. I remember seeing the paddy wagons in nola whirling around picking up people pan handling on Decatur. We had to go up by a bridge about an hour and a half walks distance just to get good spange. But it sure as hell was fun there.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Hometown
Rochester, NY
Huh - didn't realize all that was going on around there. I mean I know in certain other cities like FL they are particular. Hmm. I also administrate a dirty kids group on facebook and am always being requested for couches in denver - of which there is one and he doesn't answer his phone. But I do know there is a lot of travel through there. But hey keep us informed on how you are doing - stay safe and always have fun1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Day 20: My bolilo roll is finna make me act up.

I'm willing to try it again this Friday morning... It's not an auto rack, it's something better! I still need to see what I am up against...
> 6' away from Juan During
Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
Truism #348:
If it wasn't for these loose ends I'd have it all wrapped up...
MFB
Elevation! Getting HIGH! (I am thinking my gopro died, for some reason I didnt get a 360 from the summit)
I think your buddy Bukowski put it best Sundays kill more men than bombs
BBQ with STP homies in portland, feeling peaceful
I only feel good when I'm outside, but I gotta stay inside to get school work done.
It's a full-time job to be a good dad
You got so much more stuff than I had
I gotta study just to keep with the changin times
101 Dalmations on your CD-ROM
See me-I'm
Tryin to pretend I know
On my PC where that CD go

Members online