Leaving Detroit. Going wherever.

Reaction score
How's everybody doin?

I'm Jacob. From Detroit. I've been lurking these boards for a little while now as my pipe dreams have evolved into decisions and plans. I figured it's time to register.

I decided a little while ago that school isnt where I belong for now. I'm on the path towards a life I don't want, in a field I've become completely disillusioned with. I realized I just went to school because I'm scared not to. Fuck that. So until I figure out how I'm going to "contribute to society" or if I want to be a part of society I've pretty much decided that I need to step outside of the conventional life. Live a life as free as I can get, see some beautiful shit, meet some people, get some perspective. Then I'll decide wether or not I want to trade some freedom for the sake of modern comforts and the whole 9 to 5 routine. But as of now the idea of living that life makes my stomach turn.

I don't know all of the reasons, but something is calling me out there. So sometime in June I think I'm going to pack up, grab my guitar, quit my bullshit job and head out. Don't know where I'm going (maybe to rochester, new york. heard good things about N. Carolina. Meet up with some buddies in Boulder that I havent seen since I went to school there.)

So thats where I'm coming from :)

See you guys around.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard of Inkster (never been though). I'm in Grosse Pointe. Right on the border with Detroit.

You done much urban exploring around detroit? I was really into it for a couple years and got into like half the interesting buildings in the city before I ended up getting jumped. It was kinda dumb of me because I wasn't being aware of my surroundings and didnt go with enough people, but that definitely scared me out of it. But I saw a lot of sweet buildings and took in lots of beautiful scenes from the rooftops for sure. Urban exploring is the shit.

Abbie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Heeey! I'm from Warren/Eastpointe. I've been in Pittsburgh lately but Detroit will always be home. I'm traveling for the first time as well. I'll be hitching out west for the gathering in umm 2 days haha. Good luck with everything. Hope you make it to CO. I love it there

Reaction score
Nice! It's cool to see so many michigan people on here. Did you hitchhike to pittsburgh? How'd that go?

By gathering do you mean rainbow gathering? I was hoping to make it to that this summer too. Maybe I'll see ya there

Abbie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Nah I came here for school. After switching majors and schools it just become a huge pain in the ass so I dropped out. I'm taking a bus to chicago and hitching out of there towards denver. And yes I do mean the rainbow gathering. sooo excited! I'm stoked that it's in Washington as well.

Reaction score
Yeah I hear that.

Yeah, rainbow gathering sounds awesome. Never been to Washington but I've heard it's beautiful. Good luck in your travels! Maybe our paths will cross somewhere out there

murdermittenkid

Reaction score
ill be leavin for folklife and the gathering in a couple weeks. ive done some urban exploring.i kinda got into when i was doning alot more graff.have you been to the old high school cass tech.it looks super easy to get in i just never tried.

Reaction score
nice. yeah I wanna try and get to folklife, but idk if my travel buddy is gunna be into it... we'll see. Might have to fidn someone else to travel with.

Nice! what'd you write? (if you feel comfortable posting that). I used to write but got scared off it when I got jumped because they initially thought we were painting and were gunna kill us. Never got into Cass tech. I heard that if you get caught tresspassing in a city building (ESPECIALLY schools) you get royally screwed so I always avoided city owned properties and schools. MCS is my favorite building that I ever got into by far though. Have you been? Its fucking beautiful in there. especially the view from the roof. I always wanted to camp out up there but it never happened.

murdermittenkid

Reaction score
esac1....the mcs roof is one of the best spots in detroit to bbq.have you been to the book depository(spelling?) building right next to the mcs.its the warehouse with the graff on top to the east?there is alot of amazing pieces in there.

Reaction score
haha i was in MCS and we met some kids (like kids, kids...prolly 16 or so) and they seemed a little sketchy but they were friendly. then when it came time to leave we decide to hit up the depository... so as we're walking out of MCS we smell something and turn around and sure enough those little bastards had started a fire that caught on and was pluming black smoke. we heard sirens and booked it out of there. in retrospect that probably made us look more guilty but we didnt want to be standing outside of MCS with backpacks on and no car in sight with a fire going behind us. Never ended up going to the book depository.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads