Leaving Arkansas For Texas, Missouri or Tennesse | Squat the Planet

Leaving Arkansas For Texas, Missouri or Tennesse

VeronicaK1997

Reaction score
I have no money and I don't want to hitchhike in someone's car and get killed or whatever so how can I get to El Paso, Memphis or St. Louis, on foot or on a bike from Little Rock, Arkansas? I hate this place. I'm broke and I want to start a new life, preferrably in Texas or California.

D

Deleted member 125

good call, hitch hiking is a death sentence. alot better to just hoof it or ride yer bike. remember to only travel at night that way nobody will see you and yer chances of being spotted by a murderer are decreased.

do you have any gear? you do know that its currently winter and from the way you worded this post im going to assume you have zero experience walking or biking long distance? but to answer yer question of how do you bike from little rock to any of those places, um you get on yer bike and you ride in the general direction of which ever place you want to go.

you might want to consider saving up some money for a bus or plane ticket.

VeronicaK1997

Reaction score
good call, hitch hiking is a death sentence. alot better to just hoof it or ride yer bike. remember to only travel at night that way nobody will see you and yer chances of being spotted by a murderer are decreased.

do you have any gear? you do know that its currently winter and from the way you worded this post im going to assume you have zero experience walking or biking long distance? but to answer yer question of how do you bike from little rock to any of those places, um you get on yer bike and you ride in the general direction of which ever place you want to go.

you might want to consider saving up some money for a bus or plane ticket.
I have some clothes some gear, a leakproof canteen, a sleeping bag and a bike

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So I noticed you mentioned that you want to go to El Paso, St Louis, or Memphis...

As I have no personal experience with those cities, I have heard they are not much better than Little Rock...

You should rethink where you would like to end up....there are much better places in the east than those....

Also, as others have said, know what you are doing before you dive headfirst into a long distance walk/bike trip.

Hitchhiking isint that bad, but I'd recommend having a road dawg with you if it is your first few times. Dont write off hitching.

Like @Dameon said, might be better to just spange/work up a bus/plane ticket.

D

Deleted member 22934

I took a greyhound from Flagstaff Arizona to Arkansas a couple of years ago and ticket was like$219. A greyhound ticket is the easy way out, but don't be discouraged. If you have racks and ppanneirs, it's more than possible to ride out of there. I did a couple hundred miles by bike a few years ago. People go much further than I did all the time. Make sure you carry enough food and water, and a way to stay warm and dry... Try to plan your route in a way where cities are most often. Texas is huge and some of those stretch's of road are just too far for most people... But stop into rest areas and ask look for the guy driving a pickup truck by himself. Most of the time, guys will help you out. That's how I got from Boise Idaho all the way to salt lake City in one day on a bike. I asked a guy at the rest area if I could tag along and he was headed that way anyways. I made it all the way back to Arizona on a bike from Boise Idaho.

train in vain

Reaction score
Megabus to memphis is $10. Little Rock aint so bad. You can hop a train to el paso from pine bluff or stl or memphis from here in little rock.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

noothgrush

Reaction score
If you have no money and no contacts in the place you are heading i would suggest going to a city with a good food bank like Los Angeles.

train in vain

Reaction score
Pine Bluff can be a pain in the ass to catch out of, especially for a greenhorn. Also not a super great town for a green girl to solo.
I disagree. One of the easiest places ive ever got on a train. I doubt she will go hop a train but its an option so i threw it out there. I do agree pine bluff is a shit hole town though haha. I remember walking to the spot i usually wait with a friend and some drunk old lady yelling at us HEY HOBO IM TIRED OF YOU HOBO she sounded pissed. I told my pal who had never been there to walk faster. 3 am. Drunk locals. PASS.

Reactions: benton

Dameon

Reaction score
I disagree. One of the easiest places ive ever got on a train. I doubt she will go hop a train but its an option so i threw it out there. I do agree pine bluff is a shit hole town though haha. I remember walking to the spot i usually wait with a friend and some drunk old lady yelling at us HEY HOBO IM TIRED OF YOU HOBO she sounded pissed. I told my pal who had never been there to walk faster. 3 am. Drunk locals. PASS.
Weird. I've been through there twice, and couldn't catch a train either time...they were just rolling on through, not stopping where the crew change sign was, or anywhere near. Even a lady who used to drive the crew change van couldn't figure it out.

train in vain

Reaction score
Weird. I've been through there twice, and couldn't catch a train either time...they were just rolling on through, not stopping where the crew change sign was, or anywhere near. Even a lady who used to drive the crew change van couldn't figure it out.
Weird. When was that? I havent been there to catch a train in a few years maybe its different these days.

train in vain

Reaction score
Woulda been 7 or 8 years ago
Yeah that sounds odd. I dont know where you were waiting exactly but i was in and out of there multiple times in that time frame. Everything crew changed on the north side on the west end along that road. Only issue i ever had was mistakenly getting on a mexico bound train i thought was headed to cali haha. Always a piece o cake.

Dameon

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds odd. I dont know where you were waiting exactly but i was in and out of there multiple times in that time frame. Everything crew changed on the north side on the west end along that road. Only issue i ever had was mistakenly getting on a mexico bound train i thought was headed to cali haha. Always a piece o cake.
We tried both ends of the yard, and a few spots in between, and before and after the yard; no matter where we were the trains just blew through. They might have been doing crew changes somewhere up or down the line for some reason. It was frustrating.

VeronicaK1997

Reaction score
there's a train that goes to mexico from pine bluff??! which train?

D

Deleted member 125

I'm looking into that. Thank you. I heard that you can get free greyhound tickets in some places.

those free tickets home are aimed at runaway teenage aged folks, and assuming the 1997 at the end of yer name is yer birth year you might be a bit old for those programs. some more info about yer situation might give people a better idea of how exactly to help you out.

noothgrush

Reaction score
I'm looking into that. Thank you. I heard that you can get free greyhound tickets in some places.
Don't bank on free tickets. When you are broke you and have no cash coming in you want certainty. Like I KNOW for sure I can get a meal at such and such a place. Fly a sign and buy a bus ticket greyhound is dirt cheap and I always got a free Burger or whatever from just asking other passengers.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads