Leather jacket vs brown work coats

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
I'm not just a summer rider and I've never had gortex...so I would disagree and say gortex is never necessary. My Carhart in addition to good thermal layers has always been enough

Yeah I guess you've got a point. Personally I'd go with goretex in the snow or rain but I suppose as long as you've got thermals almost anything will do.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I wear silks and satin while traipsing about. But thats just me. Whilst on the rails, WW1 style aviation goggles and a dashing scarf whipping in the wind complete my ensemble. Oh. And ankle boots.

Last edited:

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Remember with the brown work jacket you can always waterproof it with that silicon spray stuff. Might at well waterproof the rest of your gear while your at it. I just have a columbia windbreaker and it does wonders and weighs very little. If it gets cold I just add layers underneath it.

Reactions: Mankini

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
If your main concern is weight, more than durability, layers matter more. They're flexible and don't actually Add cumulative weight to your load.

For waterproofing, leather is definitely da bomb, but if you can get your hands on a London Fog (lucky thrift store finds, anyone?), those are still some of the best coats around for a reason. They won't keep you particularly warm in their own, which brings us back to layers anyway. And they're durable, too.

As others have said, it depends on your main concern. Real leather, when you find it, is genuinely a great choice, and no heavier than the average work coat. Plus they're usually stylish enough to "dress you up" for unexpected special occasions. But they will NOT keep you warm, in and of themselves.

Sent using Tapatalk.

jeffyDee

Reaction score
i dont ride trains in the first place all i was looking for is the reliability of leather worth its weight or should i go with my shitty work coat since its light and i live in Canada so winter is going to be a bitch i had a parka last year but it was way to warm and ripped in a million places so i leaked feathers anywhere i went i dont see how i was rated off topic when i created the topic dick lips.

Sallythehesher

Reaction score
Hey guys. New guy on the forums but ill put some of my nomad couch surfing input..... Leather is great for most cold/rainy weather just due to the fact that its usually more durable than most canvas/duck and also more water proof if you condition it/water seal it.. Its also nice because you dont have to worry about it if you roll it up and tie it to your bag. The real downside is that leather is expensive( in canada a used leather jacket will run you 50-100 bucks) and when it tares/rips its a bitch to sew back up and also IF YOU DO get it soaking wet it is not fun. A work jacket (i only wear carhartt and pointer jackets) is nice for mild weather and if you wax it, it basically turns into a water proof and if you get lucky and score a good quality one it can be almost as good as leather.

Reactions: Jaguwar

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads