2016 Jamboree - Jambo Workshops? | Squat the Planet

2016 Jamboree Jambo Workshops?

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2016 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Okay, so this thread is to discuss any workshops that folks would like to put on during the Jamboree. Does anyone have anything they would like to present or teach others? Post here and let's discuss it!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
well.. if i make it, maybe i'll be able to snag a small, busted 4 cylider.. something to actually tear apart & go through some of the parts.. there should be enough gearheads & vehicles that we might be able to do a repair workshop, & do whatever diagnoses & greasework are required, together, as a group..
we'll see..

we're exactly 7 months away from when we actually have to start herding the cats..

; )

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
this is just a crazy thought i'm having right now, but i could do a presentation on the most interesting places to explore around the world (abandoned and otherwise). i'm literally sitting on a stockpile of places i want to see, i just havent' had the vehicle....

Reactions: EphemeralStick
F

Free Jones

I could do anything to do with poetry/fiction writing. I'm also currently teaching myself oral story telling and know a lot about voice acting.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
thinking that, *IF* i make it, the automotive workshop could be based around work required on jambo vehicles?

i mean.. if yer rig runs, but needs something basic.. think 'top end'. alternator, valve cover gasket, rotors (??), water pump, etc., if you have the part & (hopefully) some tools to contribute, your vehicle could become a workshop subject... this doesn't mean you would get the work done *for* you, but it does mean you'd get help..

main thing, though, is to know if yer rig is *in* repairable shape..
sometimes a basic repair becomes a deadly nightmare.. so holding harmless becomes a required caveat..

anyways.. all the ideas up above sound great..

i hope i'm not nailed down, somewhere..

Reactions: Matt Derrick

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Christ..

this is just a crazy thought i'm having right now, but i could do a presentation on the most interesting places to explore around the world (abandoned and otherwise). i'm literally sitting on a stockpile of places i want to see, i just havent' had the vehicle....

IF the van is working..

& IF there is fucking money for fuel..

how many can we shove in??

Reactions: Cornelius Vango

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
I could do anything to do with poetry/fiction writing. I'm also currently teaching myself oral story telling and know a lot about voice acting.

I definitely think that having a poetry slam/general spoken word bonfire at some point during the party would be most excellent.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I've always thought having an 'epic travel story' contest would be awesome. Like, have prizes for the top three stories and have everyone try to out do each other on telling the best (true) story. Also it has to have happened to them (no 3rd party stories).

Oh maybe we could have a prize for best story, funniest story, best told story...

D

deleted user

I'v been thinking more about some kind of peer support but the idea is messy.
A few minutes ago a friend of mine i haven't talked to in awhile mentioned she was "trying to keep the gun out of her mouth", nonchalantly addressing the depression most of us experience by this isolating/humiliating/dickheaded sociopath paradise. Considering the usual extra loneliness and threats that come with our traveling/punk lives it might not be bad being there for each other.

But then again who are we anyway? Can we actually trust to put ourselves forward to be heard? Or do we even need to?

In high school the LGBTQ club ran a peer support program than got like 1/4 of the school involved. They did group therapy type games and sat everyone down and had us listen to each other. For the most part we were strangers. At the end of some event they ran we would do something like write everyone we meet something really nice.

Unfortunately were more or less adults now, and life is far more complected.

Exhibit B. would be the anarchist bookfair, NY 2013.
One of the panels was a peer communication type thing. Me and my ex went to check it out and it was just turmoil. I have really no idea what happened prior, (something about letting a asshole into the fair i think) but the room eventually was a war zone. Someone thought that the guy moderating shouldn't because he was a cis white male, along with other things, and it went back and forth. I listened for awhile but i started to realize this was a 2 sided fight that most of us had no prior info to and most of us were their for no reason. Me, my ex, and probably 10 other people finally just left.

What do you guys think? Should we even bother?

Considering some of you i know on fb have posted about a shitty circumstance or feeling shitty in general it might be a good thing to do. Me personally its take it or leave it im gonna have a good time regardless.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'v been thinking more about some kind of peer support but the idea is messy.
A few minutes ago a friend of mine i haven't talked to in awhile mentioned she was "trying to keep the gun out of her mouth", nonchalantly addressing the depression most of us experience by this isolating/humiliating/dickheaded sociopath paradise. Considering the usual extra loneliness and threats that come with our traveling/punk lives it might not be bad being there for each other.

But then again who are we anyway? Can we actually trust to put ourselves forward to be heard? Or do we even need to?

In high school the LGBTQ club ran a peer support program than got like 1/4 of the school involved. They did group therapy type games and sat everyone down and had us listen to each other. For the most part we were strangers. At the end of some event they ran we would do something like write everyone we meet something really nice.

Unfortunately were more or less adults now, and life is far more complected.

Exhibit B. would be the anarchist bookfair, NY 2013.
One of the panels was a peer communication type thing. Me and my ex went to check it out and it was just turmoil. I have really no idea what happened prior, (something about letting a asshole into the fair i think) but the room eventually was a war zone. Someone thought that the guy moderating shouldn't because he was a cis white male, along with other things, and it went back and forth. I listened for awhile but i started to realize this was a 2 sided fight that most of us had no prior info to and most of us were their for no reason. Me, my ex, and probably 10 other people finally just left.

What do you guys think? Should we even bother?

Considering some of you i know on fb have posted about a shitty circumstance or feeling shitty in general it might be a good thing to do. Me personally its take it or leave it im gonna have a good time regardless.

at this point no one's come forward with any solid plans, so i think doing workshops at this point would feel kinda forced or awkward, especially if there's only one or two. maybe we can do it next year if people are into it, but there hasn't been much response to the workshops ideas for or against, so i think we'll just stick to the party/exploration model we had last year.

of course, if someone wants to do some kind of workshop really really bad i'm not going to stop them :p

Reactions: Cornelius Vango

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I think the automotive workship would be pretty cool. I like your idea too, Matt. @stukovthetuna maybe an NVC workshop?

at this point no one's come forward with any solid plans, so i think doing workshops at this point would feel kinda forced or awkward, especially if there's only one or two. maybe we can do it next year if people are into it, but there hasn't been much response to the workshops ideas for or against, so i think we'll just stick to the party/exploration model we had last year.

of course, if someone wants to do some kind of workshop really really bad i'm not going to stop them :p

Even if there's only a couple of them I think it could still be nice.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score

What if we just did a really informal show-and-tell type thing? Like instead of a scheduled workshop on one topic we just set aside an hour or two for people to present what they want. Could be tips on how to do something, or a demonstration of how to use certain gear or even just a story from the road. That way if anyone has something they want to teach they can, otherwise it's just a fun story-sharing thing.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
Well, there definitely was interest in doing a performance night, so we could adapt that to be a show and tell, open-mic kinda time, you can play music, tell a story, read a poem or something, do tricks, yeah, we can do a talent show...

Also, my kendo sticks are up for use, and I can do a kendo lesson, and set up some matches.

There's also DnD shit here, if anyone wants to run a campaign.

We can just do what comes naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads