Photos I've been hitchhiking around and asking everyone the same question "Why do you pick up hitchhikers?"

Sheeves

Reaction score
What's up guys? I just got back from the Yuba River for the 2015 Hitchgathering. It was awesome. In honor of that I thought I'd post some of my hitchhiking related photography. You can see the rest of my shit at www.facebook.com/thenikonkidd

Last time I posted you said my name was dumb and so was my idea, but I did it anyway so here are some of the results.

hitch.jpg

"Why do you pick up hitchhikers?" "I made a vow to myself and the world. That vow is to treat others the way I would like to be treated. Also it was about to rain and I didn't want you to be stuck in Knoxville."

hitch2.jpg

"Why do you pick up hitchhikers?" "I like to help others. Plus, it's like putting help in the bank...It's not going be from you, but it may be from people like you"

hitch4.jpg

"Why do you pick up hitchhikers?" "We've both hitchhiked before and I feel it's important to open up. Not necessarily just to trust people but to show that, especially in the Southeast, we're not backwards hicks."

hitch3.jpg

"Why do you pick up hitchhikers?" "Because it could be me. In my trunk I have a lug wrench, a jack, an electronic pump and even jumper cables because there could be someone who needs help. If I help out enough people, maybe that same person I helped out years ago will stop to help me out when I need it"

hitch5.jpg

"Why do you pick up hitchhikers?" "I love the conversation, I love adventure and I believe helping others helps you. What goes around comes around, you know."

That's all for now. I'm headed west to highway 1 and from there I'll head north into Washington if anyone wants to meet up. Thanks for looking!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes an excellent example of good folks.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Kal

Mongo

Reaction score
That's one of the first questions I ask. usually the people that pick me up used to hitchhike. For some reason I get a lot of people for whom it's there first time picking up a hitchhiker and they need a change of pace.

Sheeves

Reaction score
Have you had any bad or scary situations hitching?

Nah, not really! I've had a guy slamming beer in Missouri pick me up. He said something like "Yeah, I actually don't even have a licence. Too many DUIs"

That's hilarious now but really worrying at the time. I got where I was going though. What about you?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads