Is Slab City Reproducible on Owned Land?

Inhibition

Reaction score
I haven't personally been to Slab City due to its location and personal illness. But I've been researching and very interested in the possibility of creating similar anarchist spaces.

I've read it is currently state owned property. Is that why it is relatively free of zoning regulations? I've also read the State is interested in taking it back or cleaning it up?

So if someone (or a group) were to own property, can anyone knowledgeable point out the current advantages and pitfalls? I would personally prefer a location more accessible for people with disabilities and particularly mobility issues. Would a more accessible location be feasible, or catch too much public attention?

Also, is there some consensus that certain members of the community are trustworthy enough to handle donations towards such a cause? I've seen some success with crowdfunding attempts such as the Tiny Houses fund:

But property for those without shelter, it seems untested. What do you think?

Reactions: Mankini
N

Notmyname

I think there's wayyy too much liability to reproduce slab city. The reason the slabs works is because there isnt a single person to come after. If there was an owner the whole thing would be shut down by the state I think.

N

Notmyname

also an owner could be held liable for any injury on his property, and would get sued sooner or later.
This exactly. an owner would be liable for injury and maybe even people breaking the law on their property(drugs and what not) theres plenty of sketchy shit going on in the slabs.If the slabs had an owner I think the property would be raided or some shit lol. Also if there was an owner, it would change the camp dynamic because there would be a central authority to complain to(imagine if slabbers could vote people off the island) all it would take is a threat of legal action and the owner would be involved and he could get the cops involved to remove people. Obviously theres no way to know if this would happen, but it could happen.

• Useful
Reactions: Inhibition

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
there's a fuck ton of research that's been done with every kind of structure. The vast majority of applied experiments are failures in 2-4 years.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't personally been to Slab City due to its location and personal illness. But I've been researching and very interested in the possibility of creating similar anarchist spaces.

I've read it is currently state owned property. Is that why it is relatively free of zoning regulations? I've also read the State is interested in taking it back or cleaning it up?

So if someone (or a group) were to own property, can anyone knowledgeable point out the current advantages and pitfalls? I would personally prefer a location more accessible for people with disabilities and particularly mobility issues. Would a more accessible location be feasible, or catch too much public attention?

Also, is there some consensus that certain members of the community are trustworthy enough to handle donations towards such a cause? I've seen some success with crowdfunding attempts such as the Tiny Houses fund:

But property for those without shelter, it seems untested. What do you think?

The concept of land ownership is one of the original sins of Western Civ. :(

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Do this: get a crew of hoboes who make no legal income to all go to community college. We all take the highest amount of student grants and loans, which means we get thousands of bucks in cash disbursed to us immediately. Each person buys a section of land, and takes the deed and stores it somewhere secret. Then, the land is opened up to everyone, slab city style. The owners of the land disappear, so that they are being squatted on in absentia. When the town comes to evict ya, they have to take you to civil court, and just when the adverse possession process begins, which would require us to abide by codes, the owner hobo shows up and says wait wait wait this is my land. This could be done on multiple adjacent properties so that we wind up playing merry-go-round until everything is ambiguous enough that we have recreated slab city's anarchic nature.

As far as the student loans, if the hoboes who've got them get on Income Based Repayment, as long as they make under 10k a year, their adjusted payment will be zero each month, and in 25 years, the loan is forgiven. Even if they make more than 10k, the payment might be $10-$20/mo. So this is for 'hardcore' anti system folks who do not care about legal income or credit. ALSO, the ~50k you can get in federal loans could be invested in a business venture that runs through your tax name and builds credit - say, legal weed for example. Get yer credit pristine, get that business credit, max it out and buy up liquifiable assets on credit, and use that money for the land - we're talking hundreds of thou at that point. File bankruptcy, maybe take a trip to Colombia, and after the statute of limitations, you're good.

All this is really good material for my next fiction novel, right folks?

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
If 10 of us went and did like the gate guard thing in a couple months we could buy 5-10 acres in PNW. And have enough left for solar, container bunker, and shed cabins. 10 people in by spring would net $70k. A team of 2 make $150 a day just sitting in a camper writing employees down in the morning and evening.

http://m.landwatch.com/results?s=FT_D&t=;268,6843;5,80;137,1378&q=&PX=19999

It's not all that hard.

Desert land is like $500-1500 acre

Last edited:
Reactions: Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i think my biggest complaint about plans like this is that there is always a million people saying why you can't do something like this instead of people coming forward with answers.

you could always put the land into a land trust with a board of organizers, that would alleviate the sole responsibility problem. also if you do your research before purchasing the land, you should be able to avoid parcels with local house association rules and counties that require your structures meet certain requirements.

just a few ideas...

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
it's the way it is, unzoned land is becoming very rare. I mean in some places there's laws against collecting rainwater, installing solar with UL certified electricians, sewage, structures over 120 sq ft have to be permitted, no open fires, no wood burning stoves, building codes, etc. that's county, city, state stuff. Not merely HOA's.

And all it takes is a town hall meeting for disgruntled locals to pass a law intended to shut you down.

I remember an episode of pitbulls and parolees where they had to pack up and move to nola because the locals in some CA backwater county wouldnt grant them further permits to be an animal rescue due to fears of pitbulls getting lose. That's all it took, yokels standing up in town hall telling the board how scared they are and boom they're shut down.

Last edited:

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score
Much as there were some cool suggestions already, I have to almost suggest just finding places without zoning for now and just be prepared to defend that lack thereof zoning to the death. Metaphorically, or literally I guess hey its your life man.

It's not totally accessible and there's little to no infrastructure, but Eureka County in Nevada is more than glad to tout the fact it lacks Zoning Codes. I'm not even sure they have any business licensing up that way, but I guess its a moot point when they have maybe a thousand or so people in the entire county? Something to think about though.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
it's the way it is, unzoned land is becoming very rare. I mean in some places there's laws against collecting rainwater, installing solar with UL certified electricians, sewage, structures over 120 sq ft have to be permitted, no open fires, no wood burning stoves, building codes, etc. that's county, city, state stuff. Not merely HOA's.

And all it takes is a town hall meeting for disgruntled locals to pass a law intended to shut you down.

I remember an episode of pitbulls and parolees where they had to pack up and move to nola because the locals in some CA backwater county wouldnt grant them further permits to be an animal rescue due to fears of pitbulls getting lose. That's all it took, yokels standing up in town hall telling the board how scared they are and boom they're shut down.

Okay, serious question - what about Mexico? Or another country that is cheap, reasonably safe, warm, with a government that doesn't meddle with its people like the U.S.?

Also, if folks want to have a rendezvous about this as a "let's actually fucking do it" project, post up - I think a sort of "jamboree for action instead of raging" (with maybe a lil raging) would be fuckin sweet.

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I almost feel at that point you should just find a place to take over or some empty island. Go all Pirate too just because.
Yeah absolutely this. We got to work with our boat punk comrades on this one. I agree Puerto Rico is also a pretty neat option.

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score
Yeah absolutely this. We got to work with our boat punk comrades on this one. I agree Puerto Rico is also a pretty neat option.

You made me realize, we really need Air Punks somehow. Fucktons of Gyrocopters and Cropdusters.

• Sad
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads