Is my coat worth the weight? | Squat the Planet

Is my coat worth the weight?

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
8811 breezewood drive Pittsburgh pa 15237
Hey everyone, I have a military surplus coat I was planning on taking with me for train hopping/hitchhiking. It's an m-65 field coat. It's extremely durable, very warm, it's got a rain hood in it which makes it my poncho as well and it's a nice dull green color. The only problem is it's 3 pounds and some ounces. That's without the liner in it which I don't intend on taking so I can save some weight. I plan on migrating south for winter like a bird to avoid extreme cold but still shit happens and people get stuck in cold places and even in warm places the temperature can drop pretty low. I was wondering wether everyone thought the coat is worth it's weight or not.

angerisagift

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a military surplus coat I was planning on taking with me for train hopping/hitchhiking. It's an m-65 field coat. It's extremely durable, very warm, it's got a rain hood in it which makes it my poncho as well and it's a nice dull green color. The only problem is it's 3 pounds and some ounces. That's without the liner in it which I don't intend on taking so I can save some weight. I plan on migrating south for winter like a bird to avoid extreme cold but still shit happens and people get stuck in cold places and even in warm places the temperature can drop pretty low. I was wondering wether everyone thought the coat is worth it's weight or not.
I wouldn't pack it. Imo 3lb is alot of weight but if you have the room in your pack. Go for it

N

Notmyname

Really it depends where you're gonna be. I love the desert, which can get pretty cold in winter. So I always have a coat. You might be able to get by with sweaters but the bulk will add up.

A

AlwaysLost

Polyester/Silk undershirt
Heavy Wool sweater
Nylon or goretex windbreak

Microfleece pajama pants
Wool/poly blend pants
Nylon parachute pants

That s how I roll. Toasty down to -20°

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
I'd suggests pack it. Then before you leave walk around town for a few hours fully loaded with water and food supply...then see how you feel about weight. Everyone loses things in the first few weeks. Things u thought u needed but don't want to carry. Just my 2 cents

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Id take into consideration what your packing for sleeping gear if that's already heavy then I'd forget it, but if it works well in conjunction go for it. Also if your just traveling in the winter prob just good to take it. Consider how much its worth to you if you'd be willing to dump it. You could also probably send it home if it fits in a six dollar package available at the post office.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My winter coat is like 5 pounds. I'd pack it just in case you have one of those "oh shit, I didn't think I'd end up in Fargo....." moments.

• Haha
Reactions: Hazardoussix6six

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Do you care about it? If not, just bring it. If you later realise you dont wanna carry it, just ditch it

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
i've used the m-65 as a bush jacket & with liner, & it's fine for work use, but there are better coats to travel on.
a good winter travel coat be at least as long as 1/2 to your knees, so that your lower back is subject to less draft & that your ass is always covered.

how has this particular coat behaved in rain?
have you waterproofed it?
the best coat configuration i've ever used is a down, hooded, knee length coat with a sturdy, hooded, waterproof, removable outer shell..

light & something that can be slept in, in public..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads