Question - Is it basically impossible to hitchhike with 4 people? | Squat the Planet

Question Is it basically impossible to hitchhike with 4 people?

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It's totally possible! In separate groups of 2 & 2! Hitching with 3 people is already hard enough. Imagine how much space 4 people is going to take up in a car. That's going to be one up front and a fully crammed back seat. You're hoping on what.. hippie busses? It's just absolutely not feasible. It can be done I guess but I'd imagine you're gonna take 8-10 times longer getting over the road waiting on that one special unicorn situation.

Where's all the gear gonna go? 4 packs in the trunk? Is the driver even allowed to have anything in their car before you guys all pile in? They'd have to have basically nothing in there and be really fuckin chill. Put yourself in the drivers shoes. Imagine picking up hitchhikers. One? Sure no problem. Two? Hmm, now I got someone in the back seat. Is he gonna slit my throat? I'm pretty defenseless with someone behind me. I'll have that one ride behind the passenger.. I guess that'll be alright. Three people? Now someone is behind me for sure! Like right the fuck behind me and I can't even see what they're doing. Now you wanna put another person back there?

It's an awful idea, but good luck!

Reactions: Joey Garbanzo

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've done it before, but you'll be waiting a looooooooong time for that bus/van/pickup truck that has enough room for you all and your gear. What we usually did was split up in groups of 2 and try and race each other to the next destination

FawnGone

Reaction score
I've done it. With 4 people and 4 dogs. 3 people and 2 dogs. 2 people and 3 dogs. Just be prepared to wait a while. Not sure how Covid is affecting things as well. I'm sure it's just making things harder.

• Epic
Reactions: Romanriff

croc

Reaction score
Agreed w previous comments.

It's not impossible but it's gonna be a lot harder than if u broke up into two groups of two. Twice I've tried hitching in a group of 4 and didn't get a ride either time. So we walked or bussed.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads