Infected tooth ... swollen lower jaw | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Infected tooth ... swollen lower jaw

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
don't know the quality of the antibiotics for aquatics... but if its a cheap alternative...???

The quality is no different, 500 mg of amoxicillin is 500 mg of amoxicillin. It seems like that would be too much for a fish but it's dispersed into the entire tank so they only get a fraction of 500 mg as it's diluted by so much water. The price isn't too friendly though. My dog and I have both needed antibiotics in the past and I've went this route because I have no insurance/health care coverage. The bottle of 30 capsules cost about $30 where I went.

This definitely isn't something you'd consider first. Dentist visit would obviously be better. I was just throwing out some alternative options because sometimes people just straight up won't go to a dentist, I'm one of em. If it's something other than dental work though, like just an infected cut and you or your pet need antibiotics, those fish antibiotics do the trick if you have no other options.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
I would have gone to a dentist, if mine wasn't better within the week - OR if pain had hit... Neither of those happened... Haven't been to a dentist in around 20 years - I like them fine. I don't like the bill And, when they used to work on my teeth - My teeth always hurt more afterwards. So, in my case, go in to have something fixed, because it's unsightly, and come out with more pain than before and a big bill... Nope. I've passed that up for years. (By the way, being AT the dentist, not painful - its afterwards. Had root canal, ala natural, but for years afterwards, tooth sensitivity in the root canal tooth... Supposedly impossible, xrays show they got all the root.... And it can be impossible all it wants, that shit was annoying and painful!)

Reactions: Anagor

Object

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, you could pull it yourself. Hah there's even done YouTube videos of that.. Dentists haven't always been around but teeth have..
I have two that need gone and a bunch of pliers actually so think I'll give it a try and of course I'll video it. I have good faith I can get it out safely with a little prep and alcohol for the pain.. Thanks for the fish antibiotics tip, might need those too although if I can keep it sterile ish and it stops bleeding I'll be fine. Good luck!
So, after numerous attempts to pull my own tooth, I'm going to the dentist!
My tooth seems pretty solid and the pliers slipped easy and the reaction of you tying to pull something out of your own mouth and then it slips causes you to jab yourself in the mouth when it slips..
Anyway
Peppermint oil has been my best friend since last night.
That stuff works like a dream, almost immediately I was numb and the swelling went down considerably.
Clove oil is great too but harder to find I think that's why I used what I had, peppermint oil which is actually recommended as well as Clove oil or sea salt rinse.

Hope this helps someone.
Just dab it on a qtip and then to your mouth.
Cheers!

Dmac

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but you can get cheaper dental work done if you go to a college of dentistry. In Omaha we have the Creighton university school of dentistry, you are worked on by a student with a dentist overseeing. Quality work and definitely the cheapest to be found around here. It has some draw backs like it usually takes longer and more people in the room etc. also there are some things they don’t do. But it can save you a lot of cash. Of course this is in the States and probably won’t apply to Europe

roughdraft

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but you can get cheaper dental work done if you go to a college of dentistry. In Omaha we have the Creighton university school of dentistry, you are worked on by a student with a dentist overseeing. Quality work and definitely the cheapest to be found around here. It has some draw backs like it usually takes longer and more people in the room etc. also there are some things they don’t do. But it can save you a lot of cash. Of course this is in the States and probably won’t apply to Europe

i haven't done this but a few of my classmates in west virginia raved about it.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I had a molar crack and get infected. It wasent painful at first, but holy fuck, did that change.

I let it play out with some homeopathic remedies. Mainly Naproxen, salt water wash, whiskey directly to the tooth site, Anbesol, and wiggling it every once it a while before it finally came out.

Tooth pain is the worst. I kept thinking it was going to abcess and get into my brain and kill me, lol. But it worked out.

Fucking dentists, man. You always hate 'em till you need one.

dtohue

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i've had tooth infections before that were really bad.
this works.
spray your teeth and gums with antifungal spray.
the sell it cheap at the dollar stores. it clears up all types of stuff in the mouth.
it works pretty quickly too.
it clears up std's, it clears up bleeding gums and plaque buildup.

roughdraft

Reaction score
i've had tooth infections before that were really bad.
this works.
spray your teeth and gums with antifungal spray.
the sell it cheap at the dollar stores. it clears up all types of stuff in the mouth.
it works pretty quickly too.
it clears up std's, it clears up bleeding gums and plaque buildup.

any particular *type* of anti fungal spray? I'm not familiar with any

jimbo slice

Reaction score
Everytime I see this nobody say ibuprofen...that's all you really need it's takes the sweeling down so no pain...then your mouth will fight off infection.just from experience

Reaction score
Website
www.vagabondsphoto.com
Been there a few times in the past few years. Healing from an Infection right now. Got tooth pulled last week . Infection means a rotten tooth. So sooner than later you are going to have to get it pulled. If it's infected nobody will pull it without you having at least 3 days of antibiotics in you. Penicillin or amoxicillin. clindamycin if you can't take the first 2. Ibuprofen will help with inflammation but not battle the infection. For pain mix acetaminophen and ibuprofen but no more than 1000mg of each per day or you'll get stomach problems. And make sure to eat with all meds.

Cypress

Reaction score
If you don’t need it pulled, see if they will give you a flouride rinse. My husband has tooth problems and it gets his chompers back into shape much more quickly.

cali1981

Reaction score
Try to gargle warm salt water and do it such so for about 11 times. It should kill any bacateria and will prevent your tooth by getting an infection. And then go and see a dentist if you can amigo. Hope this natural remedy helps for the mean time. Much luck!!

Prophetess333

Reaction score
It could lead to sepsis if you do nothing, get it looked at. Don’t let it go and end up loosing teeth like I did. Doing nothing now will cost you more in the long run.

Loosing all teeth ( or having the crappy ones remain pulled) really sucks.
Dentures suck!
A dental abscess on the bottom left side can also be potentially fatal as it's connected to the heart somehow.
I can google more details if it's of interest to anyone.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
A dental abscess on the bottom left side can also be potentially fatal as it's connected to the heart somehow.

Yeah, that's true.

But anyway, my problems went away. After some time of taking Ibuprofen and cleaning my mouth with water and garllic.

Thanks for caring and all your input, though.

:)

Reactions: Prophetess333

BusGypsy

Reaction score
Dude i can empathize totally with hesitance about seeing a dentist. Besides everything else, they're horribly expensive.
It's amazing what the human body can heal. It's kind of what we do. Back before formal dentistry plenty of people had dental issues but not everyone died from it.
I say, if you can, pull it out, make sure to get out all the broken bits of teeth you can, drain it, then take fishy antibiotics and let your body so the rest. If you feel you really need to go to the dentist though, go to the dentist. I can dig not wanting to go to the dentist and it doesn't seem terribly helpful advice to tell someone to do the very thing they're avoiding.

Reactions: Prophetess333

salxtina

Reaction score
Yes - Prophetess is right - jaw infection is serious and can easily spread through the arteries - into the heart, eyes, or other organs.

Yes if you can't get to a real dentist, getting antibiotics from a general practitioner / hospital is good harm reduction advice. Or fish/veterinary grade antibiotics in a pinch.

Gargling with hot water, as hot as is tolerable, with EPSOM SALTS helps draw out infection. Swishing around unrefined coconut oil too.

And this is a long shot - but putting it out there for others who may be in need -
If you are an UNINSURED AMERICAN - and you have a PASSPORT -
you can literally TRAVEL TO MEXICO and get dental work done for a cash payment far less than you would pay in the states.
See
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ican-town-is-a-destination-for-dental-tourism
and
https://www.dentistsofalgodones.com/

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads