If you had to live on a bike the rest of your life? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

If you had to live on a bike the rest of your life?

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
No, it does not.
Maybe consider upgrading to one with a lock out before you start touring. Lots of wasted pedal stroke on pavement when the fork is compressing as you pedal. Finding a used one at a bike shop or bike swap is pretty easy, as everyone likes to upgrade from their factory ones. Just a thought!

D

Deleted member 24579

Yo, for (less than) a G bar you could fully tweak and customize a 26" retro mtb from the 80s-90s. Those bikes are great basis' for builds, strong tubing, a multitude of parts to fit your bike of choice versus new, finnicky compatible parts. They can come in wavy ass color ways and, the bike would be damn unique. Not a copy off the shelves that Timmy down the street could have too. Here is my '91/'93 Novara Arriba ($140 on craigs, put probably $500 of parts into it)
That's a beautiful machine.

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score

I won this in a raffle drawling. I don't really ride a bicycle much. My son uses it when he goes out. He is in a constant battle with flats because of all the damn goat heads. Those slime tubes don't stand a chance against them.

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny
D

Deleted member 25142

I had to look that up I thought you were talkin about the genesis bikes walmart makes haha. I was about to say 🤡
Nope, this one is around 1800 dollars... but Im leaning more and more to just go with any cheap previesly used bike,, you dont need to worry so much,,, but the Longitude is one hell of a sweet ride, anyway,,, biking is allso overlooked in my opinion,,its freedom combined with independency and speed, just get your hand on any bike, strap a tent to the rack,, and just ride into the sunset, its addictive. Now Im saving up for a 5000km ride from sweden to portugal. /Noa

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I just wanted to share something that may interest some, (btw.. this is a cool thread) maybe you guys have these in the states too, in some suburban areas some people ride these pushbikes that have a build in motor to them, iv ridden them before they go fast, these r not pictures i took but here is what they look like.

hqdefault.jpg

80cc_motorised_push_bike_21027663.jpg

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Gas bikes are nice, but my dream is this bad boy

Weld up a little trailer and *ahem* “borrow” a bunch of batteries from those stupid little rental scooters, or better yet a few tesla packs. Mount up as much solar as you dare for the size trailer and a lil pos genny for if you need to recharge when theres no sun. For $1500 if you “borrow” the solar panels and batteries or $5k if you buy 160w (700w if you dont mind being belligerently wide and a bit long )of panels and 3 tesla battery modules you dont have to pedal! (If you cant tell im lazy as hell 90% of the time )
If you wanted to get sassy with it, you could mount a cover overtop of the trike too with solar panels, but be careful as you may be creating a wing!

The trailer could also be a pop up camper if you like projects

Its obviously going to be shit offroad

Last edited:

Pedal to the Metal

Pedal To The Metal
Reaction score
All the suggestions I see are great but most importantly if you intend to spend the rest of your life on the bike i suggest you just go ride a bunch of different models. Go to different bike shops and take them for a test ride. Not that there are not a bunch of great out if the box bikes being built but between all the geometry differences, seats, bars, etc then adding human geometry to the equation it makes sense to ride a bunch. Brand names do a lot to convince people on that specific brand, it's called marketing. There us a particular bike brand that is very very popular for touring. Lots of people ride it because of the cool factor. I have personally fit riders to other bikes, even less expensive, without all the hype and they have been much more comfortable. Long distance cycling can be very uncomfortable if not fit properly. Careful what you wish for.
-
Now, another suggestion, get the best wheels you can afford. A better wheel will lend you to a very durable and comfortable ride. If you don't want a bike with fatter tires, get a LHT or similar. Spend more on tires too. They are not all the same. As for gear ratios? I'd suggest 3x9 or 2x10. If you are going to spend the rest of your life on the bike you will have better and worse days, and plenty of places you will be thankful for extra gears. Or you will be pushing. If you ride enough, you will push anyway.
-
Try and get good, better racks for bike. Tubus has been the best track I've found. Not able to break em yet. Waterproof panniers. I suggest Axiom, but Ortlieb and Arkel and other brands have their pros and cons too.
-
Saddle: if you can afford a Brooks, get one. They hurt for a while, keep riding.
-
Hit me up with any questions, comments, etc.
IMG_20190712_104925_606.jpg

Zbart1108

Reaction score
O would recommend a Surly,Salsa or Raleigh. There are allot of different frames out there to fit different size people so you really need to test ride first, as well as there's allot of info on the met about bike sizing, I'd you don't have a bike that's fits you properly you won't be happy. This is my current tour bike I'm on now, Surly Crosscheck

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_063409.jpg
    IMG_20190716_063409.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 322

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
OMG, Zbart1108, i was looking at your pic and thinking "Jesus H. Fuck , what a stupid whiteboy pineapple dreadlock hair-do!", when i looked through the other half of my bifocals and realized you are a bald guy standing in front of a tree with linear bark.

Old Timer's Disease hitting me hard tonight, or perhaps all the strong homebrew i have been drinking.

My actually vaguely relevant contribution: This week, in a heatwave, i spent three very rough days cycling the mud/gravel C & O Canal Towpath trail in Maryland on a loaded-for-touring folding bike with 20" wheels (because i could get to Cumberland Md with it on a bus; of course Amtrak will let you bring a full-size bike for $20.) i bailed and marathoned back to Cumberland with my tail between my legs, when i decided my Swift Folder (an excellent NYC bike) was not going to do it on this mud track.

Probably no one else but me is stupid enough to try this, but if you are, it is a terrible idea.

The camping, unlike the riding on the clown-bike, was fucking amazing. There are free primitive hiker biker campsites (water pump, chemical toilet, fire ring, picnic table, large cleared area) about every 5 miles starting in big freight town Cumberland Md 184.5 miles to DC.
There is another trail (that joins with the C & O) from Cumberland running in the opposite direction to Pittsburgh (right over a steep mountain, but with more ridable crushed rock (i am told))

Will return with an appropriate bike. Recommended to all vagabond cyclists. Mostly flattish, being a canal towpath, with very short steep climbs/descents at the canal locks. Lots of mud .

Last edited:
  • Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
When I thought I would just have one bike, I went with a surly ogre. I ride it quite a lot under a lot of different conditions. Surly really makes a fantastic frame. The big draw of the older models of ogre and troll for me was the component compatibility. They could fit any style of drive train or brakes and they have all sorts of little attachment points for racks and cadges and bags. I got my Ogre on ebay for about 800. Though I did have to drive to pick it up. The other option would be a steel frame 26 in wheel mountain bike from the 80s or 90s. I got this Giant iguana out of a dumpster about 4 years ago. 100 bucks worth of new components and a rummage though the scraps bins of my local bike shop made a durable and dependable 3 by 9 workhorse of a bike. Its comfortable and reliable and I know it will last me years to come.
20191222_142513.jpg
20211020_201332.jpg

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
You don't need a fancy bike to be happy with it long term. I've got a used btwin hybrid 1 step above the bottom level bike and it's been doing very well. You want a good seat and i lucked out with this one having a selle royale saddle. Main thing is if you're riding alot to know what needs to be done to take care of it.

I spent €300 on it when i got it after adding in water bottle cages, bar ends, better kick stand, longer seat post. Of course since then I've replaced the chain twice, several spokes, the front wheel (generator hubs don't last apparently, at least the Shimano one), removed the chain guard (broke and caused problems after dragging bike over a log). Lost the front fender etc.

Also, less you spend, less bad you'll feel should something bad happen to it.

I'm using a little $15 motion sensor alarm to give me more peace of mind when parking it in cities and it may have saved me from getting it stolen once!

And i second the thought that 27+” wheels are more heavy and unnecessary for most riding.
IMG_20220715_135538.jpg

Reactions: laughingman

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
If I had to live out a bicycle for the rest of my life?

Then I'd want an electric velomobile capable of towing a lightweight camper trailer with solar panels on it. Working on just such a setup, in fact, because depending upon what happens, I may indeed have to live out of a bicycle for the rest of my life. Nothing is set in stone quite yet, but I do have the solar panels which I bought, and the electric velomobile which I designed and built. I still need to build the camper trailer.

Compared to roughing it on the street, this would be a very luxurious way to live. The camper can be well insulated for winter and vented for summer. A small electric blanket would provide more than adequate heat if the insulation is good enough, and a battery pack can be built into the camper to run all the appliances.

Basically, you'd have a microcar and a microhome. Couple that with a small plot of off-grid land, and lots of possibilities for inexpensive low-impact living open up.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads