If I pull a knife should I use it? | Squat the Planet

If I pull a knife should I use it?

A

AlwaysLost

A new member said that they had purchased a knife or was advised to purchase one for self defense. I gave the advice that I learned in Martial Arts. I took professional knife fighting classes. I've forgotten most of it as I've never needed to stab anyone.

The first thing we were taught was to avoid conflict at all times but that if we were to pull a knife (because our lives were in danger) was to use it. Strike fast and strike first. That using a knife as intimidation might result in your attacker pulling a gun or knife of his own. Most knife fights end with both combatants in the hospital.

@Matt Derrick disagreed with me so I thought I would open the topic for respectful debate. I would like to hear different peoples opinions.

I try never to be so rigid in my beliefs that I can't learn. So what do you all think?

Was I taught correctly or incorrectly?

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Cool, I was just searching to see if there was a simular thread.

So, someone made a rant about "I'm sick of people saying pulling a knife will get it taken from you and used on you to get women to stop carrying..."

Not sure who said that because it can only be found in a quote. But no one in that twisted debate said women should not carry a knife.

Finally, to the point.
I feel this thread has nothing to do weither to carry or not. But simply how to effectively carry for defence. So to that effect.

First, Pulling a knife is the last thing you do before you stab/cut a bitch. By pulling it you now have informed the person you have a knife. Loseing the element of surprise you previously had. If you use the knife pull too often it is like crying wolf. You will become dependent on people will back down (If that is common you got problems either way). But then you will also be known as a person who pulls a knife with no intention of using it.

Next, you pull your knife. One of three things could happen. They will leave...(till knife is put away). They will call police on you. Or if they are crazy like me.... ooh that's a nice knife. Thank you for offering me such a sweet tool. Because by pulling the knife I now have a legit reason for kicking the persons ass. "Self defence". Furthermore, it becomes a challenge and many crazy fuckers like me will now be forced to attack. Increasing the likely hood of a fight.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
In general I agree with the idea that if you pull a knife your intention should be to use it and use it fast. However, in certain situations, it can be a useful intimidation tool. It's one of those things that's so specific to the situation that it's really hard to recommend in any way. If someone's trying to sexually assault you while simultaneously operating a vehicle it can give you an upper hand and convince them to pull over. They could in turn pull a gun on you, but if that's the scenario you were probably already fucked before you pulled that knife. Like I said though, it's so situation specific I really wouldn't recommend it to anybody. If you don't trust your own instincts when it comes to reading people the transient life may not be for you.

Last edited:
A

AlwaysLost

Cool, I was just searching to see if there was a simular thread.

So, someone made a rant about "I'm sick of people saying pulling a knife will get it taken from you and used on you to get women to stop carrying..."

Not sure who said that because it can only be found in a quote. But no one in that twisted debate said women should not carry a knife.

Finally, to the point.
I feel this thread has nothing to do weither to carry or not. But simply how to effectively carry for defence. So to that effect.

First, Pulling a knife is the last thing you do before you stab/cut a bitch. By pulling it you now have informed the person you have a knife. Loseing the element of surprise you previously had. If you use the knife pull too often it is like crying wolf. You will become dependent on people will back down (If that is common you got problems either way). But then you will also be known as a person who pulls a knife with no intention of using it.

Next, you pull knife. sne of three things could happen. They will leave...(till knife is put away). They will call police on you. Or if they are crazy like me.... ooh that's a nice knife. Thank you for offering me such a sweet tool. Because by pulling the knife I now have a legit reason for kicking the persons ass. "Self defence". Furthermore, it becomes a challenge and many crazy fuckers like me will now be forced to attack. Increasing the likely hood of a fight.

That's what I was taught. Its like bluffing in poker. Yes it works a lot of the time. But if someone calls your bluff your all in forg all your chips except your wagering your life.

nivoldoog

Banned
Reaction score
That's what I was taught. Its like bluffing in poker. Yes it works a lot of the time. But if someone calls your bluff your all in forg all your chips except your wagering your life.
That is why it is a must to know your tool. Much like a gun... (please lets not get on guns) the only good one, is one that is loaded, on your person, and you know how to use and are prepared to use. If you couldn't stab someone... maybe a knife should not be your defence weapon of choice.

I am not sure I could stab someone. But I would gladly accept a stab wound if I knew I must defend myself or another. I may bleed. But now I am mad enough to kill.

Reactions: Shwillam
A

AlwaysLost

That is why it is a must to know your tool. Much like a gun... (please lets not get on guns) the only good one, is one that is loaded, on your person, and you know how to use and are prepared to use. If you couldn't stab someone... maybe a knife should not be your defence weapon of choice.

Well guns are a different topic lol. I can't have one here. Cops are pretty cool here but they wouldn't miss a beat to get a bum off the streets with an illegal firearm charge.

A

AlwaysLost

I am not sure I could stab someone. But I would gladly accept a stab wound if I knew I must defend myself or another. I may bleed. But now I am mad enough to kill.

I know how you feel too, I hope I'm never in mortal combat. Even if I won my soul would never be the same.

nivoldoog

Banned
Reaction score
My only case of mortal combat. A guy tried to mug me on a trail by my house. He was mashpotatoing my face till he threatened my friends and family. That is when my rage kicked in. I was inches away from locking in a blood choke, after twisting his bandana into a knot around his throat , when he slipped from my grasp. I was going to kill him. He got away thankfully. But no one threatens to kill my family!

Reactions: VikingAdventurer
A

AlwaysLost

My only case of mortal combat. A guy tried to mug me on a trail by my house. He was mashpotatoing my face till he threatened my friends and family. That is when my rage kicked in. I was inches away from locking in a blood choke, after twisting his bandana into a knot around his throat , when he slipped from my grasp. I was going to kill him. He got away thankfully. But no one threatens to kill my family!

That's brutal man I'm sorry..fortunately all my fights have been pretty silly usually involving the yuppie frat boys in this town.

• Haha
Reactions: beersalt

nivoldoog

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sorry, when I left the house I said I have always wanted to get mugged. I love to fight, but I try not to fight in anger. If anything I was sorry I was sooo high that I was not on my A Game. But, it proved to myself I am a beast of a man... and it showed me the evil I am capable of. Because I found out that day that I could kill. People kept saying I should of had a knife. If I did... one of us would have died.

We both lived.... and no one was mugged on that trail again.

A

AlwaysLost

I'm not sorry, when I left the house I said I have always wanted to get mugged. I love to fight, but I try not to fight in anger. If anything I was sorry I was sooo high that I was not on my A Game. But, it proved to myself I am a beast of a man... and it showed me the evil I am capable of. Because I found out that day that I could kill. People kept saying I should of had a knife. If I did... one of us would have died.

We both lived.... and no one was mugged on that trail again.

When I was younger I loved to fight. I took a pretty good beating beating on St Patty's but I was winning until some idiot restrained me. I'm getting too old sadly.

nivoldoog

Banned
Reaction score
I guess, all the people that hijacked that girls introduction went off line. I hope they return to comment on this thread.

kecleon

Reaction score
I think pulling it should be last resort, I never used one to threaten anyone because you're basically telling them get your knife out or leave and if they run great (unless they come back with more people or more prepared) but if they get their knife out..

I obviously think you should carry a knife an if you have to use it slash fast and furious while keeping a good distance, don't stab.

Also be able to run fast and far.

Last edited:

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
I think I agree with the philosophy of trying everything to avoid the fight; however, if you must use a killing tool, use it first, fast and well. Loose lips sink ships and dead men tell no tales.

Don't threaten with it, at the point you feel the need to use it, do so, you are doing everything you can to eliminate the threat against you even if it is using deadly force.

If you are arrested, you felt your life was threatened and used force until the threat was eliminated, end of the story. Like others have said here, shut your damn mouth, get an attorney, and let them play the game they were trained to do and win your court case.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
I certainly think the person the OP is referring to should certainly carry a knife, but I'm in complete agreement that you shouldn't pull it till you're ready and willing to use it.
I know when I was green as fuck I pulled my knife out a few times when it wasn't needed or hadn't escalated to that point but I was trying to be intimidating. I ended up in some deep shit twice. Got shot at once and tased the other time.
I always try and remember and remind people you're not the only one with a weapon, and sometimes you're bringing a knife to a gun party. Sometimes (especially when it comes to disputes with other dirty/travelin folk) I find most stupid arguments that turn physical can be handled with fists.
A knife is extremely important to have IMO, knowing how and when to use it is crucial though.

A

AlwaysLost

I certainly think the person the OP is referring to should certainly carry a knife, but I'm in complete agreement that you shouldn't pull it till you're ready and willing to use it.
I know when I was green as fuck I pulled my knife out a few times when it wasn't needed or hadn't escalated to that point but I was trying to be intimidating. I ended up in some deep shit twice. Got shot at once and tased the other time.
I always try and remember and remind people you're not the only one with a weapon, and sometimes you're bringing a knife to a gun party. Sometimes (especially when it comes to disputes with other dirty/travelin folk) I find most stupid arguments that turn physical can be handled with fists.
A knife is extremely important to have IMO, knowing how and when to use it is crucial though.

Yes the boy scout in me advocates carrying a knife for tool purposes for both male and female 100% of the time.

Matt kind of misunderstood me there I never said that she shouldn't carry a knife even for self defense. You never know when an emergency might arise.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads