I think I have too much stuff | Squat the Planet

I think I have too much stuff

Juerito

Reaction score
So I'm about to leave my apartment but my backpack is pretty heavy. I'm planning on kicking it in California, Oregon, and the southwest for winter hitchhiking for travel. No dog or human will be joining me, for now. So here's what I have

Backpacking backpack
Bed roll
Saddle blanket
Military sleep system
Scout tent (30$ )
Book+notebook
Headlamp
Big candle
Fixed blade
Poncho
Hand drum
Flute
Hygiene shit
Fanny pack
Water
Backup battery
image.jpg

I'm thinking I'll need to ditch some of my sleeping stuff, maybe the heavy intermediate bag, sleeping pad, tent, or bivvy and just get a tarp.The drum is the most shitty to carry, but i can't not bring it.

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
Please for the love of god ditch the drum you already have one instrument and it is a small one that not everybody hates. Also for sure ditch the sleeping pad (cardboard is free). If you feel comfortable without a tent I'd suggest leaving it as well because the bivy is waterproof and awesome. I wouldn't suggest ditching the black sleeping bag but th green one possibly. Cheers.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Who hates drums? Sheesh. Keep your instrument as long as it gives you joy.

I'd ditch a blanket or even better, the tent. Once you get south, rain won't be a daily part of your life and a tarp should do ya.... though you might have to ride out some wet times on the way down. Sleeping pads are nice and if your really on the go, finding cardboard every night or carrying it sucks... even in the low desert, the ground is damn cold at night in the winter

Reactions: Matt Derrick

kecleon

Reaction score
I would leave the tent and blanket but keep the sleeping pad till.you think you don't need it. Its getting pretty cold and they're cheap and light anyway.

All in all it doesn't.look like that much in your photo but the tent is gonna save you so much weight and blankets are usually pretty heavy too.

And for me leave the drum :p but I'm not a musician and never understood how you guys have the determination to carry super heavy bulky damn instruments everywhere you go but much admire your determination

K

Kim Chee

I used to travel with a foam pad like that, pretty light, pretty bulky, but pretty convenient, for sure.

I'd ditch the drum, but I'm not a drum person, but since you are, keep the drum!

I'd throw that sleeping bag away, get a small blanket and stuff whatever good clothes you can fit into your bag. Clothes are far more versatile than a sleeping bag.

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
Ditch the sleeping bag!?!? It is fucking winter even when you get SW it is cold as fuck at night plus we don't even know this kids methods of transportation. I think sleeping bags and sturdy packs are the most important pieces of gear out there. How do you travel without one? (Not intended to sound mean just very curious)

Reactions: OutsideYourWorld

Maxxwest

Reaction score
I ain't going anywhere without my sleeping bag. And for sure you pack is the most important peice. I don't carry a tent I use a tarp instead. I can construct a few different shelters with it and it's lightweight.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
FWIW, Cali in the winter is about rain. The temp doesn't dip down into the crazy zone unless you're up in high altitudes. A decent bag keeps you warm at night.

Coastal, it's fairly mild , north or south. However, this winter season/spring is expected to be an El Nino. So, if it's anything like past El Ninos, expect lots and lots of RAIN. So, if it were me and I had to make a choice, I'd ditch the tent but keep the bivy. The tent is nice for the relative privacy factor but the right bivy is about waterproof.

Last edited:
K

Kim Chee

Ditch the sleeping bag!?!? It is fucking winter even when you get SW it is cold as fuck at night plus we don't even know this kids methods of transportation. I think sleeping bags and sturdy packs are the most important pieces of gear out there. How do you travel without one? (Not intended to sound mean just very curious)

I think I made a post somewhere here about cold-weather travel preparedness. I guess weighing over 200# and having a good metabolism I'm just fortunate.

btw: I'm not currently traveling...and I didn't recommend ditching the pack.

I was just somewhat of a minimalist when I traveled.

Also, I would trade a sleeping bag for a blankie and more warm layers any day.

Without a doubt, I will travel in colder weather more comfortably with my layers and layers of clothes than I would with a fartsack rolled up on my back.

Maxxwest

Reaction score
I think I made a post somewhere here about cold-weather travel preparedness. I guess weighing over 200# and having a good metabolism I'm just fortunate.

btw: I'm not currently traveling...and I didn't recommend ditching the pack.

I was just somewhat of a minimalist when I traveled.

Also, I would trade a sleeping bag for a blankie and more warm layers any day.

Without a doubt, I will travel in colder weather more comfortably with my layers and layers of clothes than I would with a fartsack rolled up on my back.
Sorry I just figured out how to quote a reply.
We're all different and what works for some doesn't work for others. I've tramped some hard new England winters and a good sleeping bag saved my life.

Art101

Reaction score
Keep the MSS,ditch the tent rock the tarp.The pad is good,cardboard sucks when its wet.Yes Cali is supposed to get soaked this year so keep that in mind.Everyone had great response,while I dont agree with a few,everyone has different experiences and styles of travel.

Reactions: OutsideYourWorld
S

spectacular

Ditching a whole bunch of shit allows you to use your creativity with the resources around u. II started getting into that whole west coast "look at how little shit I have" competitive bullshit with people sleeping in just their clothes in 40 degree weather. Now I'm in the middle with a small pack, got a sleeping bag, change of underwear, couple extra shirts, colored pencils, cell phones, hygiene stuff and that's about it. I'm getting an extra sleeping bag for the cold if I need it this winter. I found most of the stuff I have. People leave stuff around all the time. Kinda wanting a tarp for the rain too. It's seasonal.. Ppl end up getting rid of shit when warmer weather comes around.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm in Norcal now, not super high elevation, but I'd absolutely not want to be without a warm bag. I go for less warm clothes and more warm sleeping bag because I can keep active, run around a bit, do some pushups, raise my body temp during the day, and know that when I gotta go sleep I'll be comfy.

Maxxwest

Reaction score
I'm in Norcal now, not super high elevation, but I'd absolutely not want to be without a warm bag. I go for less warm clothes and more warm sleeping bag because I can keep active, run around a bit, do some pushups, raise my body temp during the day, and know that when I gotta go sleep I'll be comfy.
Agreed

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
how much does the tent weigh?

D

Desert

as nice as it is to have a bag and tent, I find that rain gear is awesome for staying warm. Wind and waterproof, traps the body heat and super lightweight.

OstrichJockey

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I've hitched like 7 thousand miles and rarely wanted any of that. Remember, you have to carry that shit whereever you go. Clothes, water, tarp, flashlight is all you really need.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads