I think I have too much stuff

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Ditching a whole bunch of shit allows you to use your creativity with the resources around u.

Yes, I think that's true.

Said that, for me a good sleeping bag and a sleeping pad is essential.

The sleeping bag can be used not only for sleeping but also as a blanket while sitting around somewhere, which is useful esp at night/cold days. And contrary to a blanket a sleeping bag normally dries faster when getting a little wet in rain.

You can do without a sleeping pad and use cardboard (did that more than a few times) but I like to have the option to just go to sleep somewhere without having to look for cardboard first. Plus, it is good for sitting upon. I have my pad rolled up and strapped underneath my backpack, so I can just drop the bag and sit upon the rolled pad quite comfortably. Only con is that with this setup you have to be careful in (small) stores not to throw stuff off shelves with the quite wide pad.

Otherwise I like to be minimalist. When it comes to clothing, during my last trip (UK, just came home) I was fine with an old, holey t-shirt, a thin zipped hoodie, a 20 years old linned jeans jacket ripped at one shoulder, badly torn jeans and shoes falling apart. ;) Had to repair my stuff a few times, though. But of course it depends on where you are/want to go. I was in what I would call late summer/mild fall weather.

For my next trip I plan to pack:

- sleeping bag & pad
- a pair of jogging pants
- socks and underpants
- shaver, toothbrush, nail clipper and soap
- first aid kit
- phone charger x2
- phone
- floss and sewing needles
- duct tape
- pair of flip-flops

That's it, basically. And the clothes I wore at my last trip.

But as said, it's for an urban environment in moderate climate.

Edit: pack lightweight, if you need more, you can most probably find it somewhere or buy it for cheap. For example: I bought socks for 1 pound (2 pairs) but also got some for free. One morning a nice lady gave me a sweater and a shirt. So I had a little bit more to wear. Most day centers and foodruns also provide clothes and sometimes even sleeping bags. The road provides ... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I agree with the idea that the tent can be left behind.
That military bivy system is pretty darn good. I've been comfortable in the fall using it.
Watching wizehops winter train vids... he seemed fine in the snow with the MSS bivy/pad setup. Though he also built a fire.

I would trade a sleeping bag for a blankie

I'm curious exactly what kind of blankets you have used. Best kind you have scavenged/obtained?
If it makes things more light weight I could see being layered up in thermals, heavy duty coveralls/work jacket, hat gloves etcetera... Then do a burrito roll with a waterproof tarp and blanket.

K

Kim Chee

I'm curious exactly what kind of blankets you have used. Best kind you have scavenged/obtained?
If it makes things more light weight I could see being layered up in thermals, heavy duty coveralls/work jacket, hat gloves etcetera... Then do a burrito roll with a waterproof tarp and blanket.

Wool is great, but not the most commonly available. I would use whatever I could find though. You have the right idea. One blanket not warm enough? Use two or put on another layer (keep tge cleanest/driest layer next to your body).

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Wool is great, but not the most commonly available. I would use whatever I could find though.

I favor sleeping bags. I mean, basic sleeping bags are nothing more than a blanket with zippers. But the material is weather-proof (which wool is not) and has a more or less warm filling. So you can use a sleeping bag like a blanket. I know people who do this (using one sleeping bag as a "bed" and the other as a blanket). Plus, sleeping bags are more lightweight normally.

I like my mummy-style bag, it keeps me warm and zipped up I have the impression it makes it much more difficult to nick something off me. In the past I even put my daypack inside my sleeping bag at night as I slept on the beach.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
If you have a bivvy, literally no need for a tent. Get a tarp or poncho (one with rings to attach rope to). Unless you're outside winter temps and in a non humid environment, i'd definitely take a sleeping bag over the other choices presented here. Unless you can get a good deal on down jacket/pants (not likely!), the weight/bulk of a blanket or enough clothes to keep you through a cold night wouldn't be worth it imo. Get a compression sack for the sleeping bag and you'll be fine.
Your setup looks pretty light, but once you add in food and water to your gear I guess it'd weight more.

When I was travelling for two years I generally was hauling 50 pounds give or take (food and water included). I was doing a fair bit of wild camping and went through every season, though.

Reactions: Anagor

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads