I Survived the Greyhound and now I am hitchking | Squat the Planet

I Survived the Greyhound and now I am hitchking

Daman45

Reaction score
Website
thebadlandssaga.wordpress.com
I took a Greyhound bus for a cheaper way to travel across America (Spent about $80 for around trip to Atlanta Georgia and back to West Palm Beach Florida). First time was not so bad. The second time was like being in a Third-world country.
Willing to take my chances Hitchhiking, I need some advice going across America. Anything from common sense to the Law. For I the horror's I saw on the Greyhound...

Well you got the picture.

Daman45

Reaction score
Website
Well first of all, where are you looking to go? Second, how long do you plan to be gone for?

As for general tips, remember to carry water on you, make sure you wear comfortable hiking shoes, and trust your instincts when accepting rides from people.

Well I am planning to go to San Diego California from Florida. Plus I am planning to travel for about a month. Just to clear my head and have some fun for once.
(By the way thanks for the tips. I hope the app for this site works.)

Reactions: Kal

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Well that's easy, just take I-10 damn near all of the way. If you do, try not to get stuck in Mobile, that place is the fucking worst. If you can, try to get a ride going through it. I got stuck there for a week and the cops are the worst kind of pricks.
A month is doable but you won't have much time to smell the roses along the way.

D

Deleted member 125

Well that's easy, just take I-10 damn near all of the way. If you do, try not to get stuck in Mobile, that place is the fucking worst. If you can, try to get a ride going through it. I got stuck there for a week and the cops are the worst kind of pricks.
A month is doable but you won't have much time to smell the roses along the way.

you aint kidding about mobile that place is hell. i dont know if the shelter that has a feed once a day called 15 place is still around but damn ive never been somewhere where the owner of a homeless shelter has so much hate towords homeless people. mobile, where the bums spange the bums.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I would rather hitchhike or hop a train than ride the bus.

id rather eat tha crotch out of a menstruating roadkill monkey than ride the bus

old man peed on my leg.
baby with evil, devilish eyes whackin me with cheerios then the mom said shit to me in spanish. phuq you mami i speak phuqin spanish.
guy fell asleep on my shoulder with bloody kleenex shoved up both nostrils

NO MORE. :D

Reactions: Daman45 and Kal
D

Deleted member 125

last time i took greyhound i was pretty shocked at how expensive it has gotten, it used to be really cheap thats why people put up with it, but nowadays you can get a amtrak ticket for damn near the same price. i havnt rode amtrak nearly as much as ive endured greyhound as i used to take greyhound alot to visit family when i was young, but my experiences on amtrak have been pretty good. i dont know if its a official rule or anything but last time i was on amtrak i was openly drinking whiskey from the bottle half the time and no employees said anything about it. i mean they sell booze so i figured ide just bring my own.

SophiaII

Shoot Me
Reaction score
TBH, I love greyhound. 100%, not even joking, always an adventure. I find all night trips to be the most chill. It's easy to tell when you have a new driver.

Greyhound can still be cheap as hell if you book soon enough. 8-10 bucks to go from SA to DFW... Mega bus is not so much fun, not as good to sleep on, but more reliable.

Reactions: Kuchi Kopi

Daman45

Reaction score
Website
TBH, I love greyhound. 100%, not even joking, always an adventure. I find all night trips to be the most chill. It's easy to tell when you have a new driver.

Greyhound can still be cheap as hell if you book soon enough. 8-10 bucks to go from SA to DFW... Mega bus is not so much fun, not as good to sleep on, but more reliable.

With all due respect but did you pay for a premium Greyhound? Because the one I went on was like Abu Ghraib and getting raped by Bill and Hillary Clinton.

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
With all due respect but did you pay for a premium Greyhound? Because the one I went on was like Abu Ghraib and getting raped by Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Kinds of people you meet on the greyhound: :D

1. The Cowboy

2. The Spleen

3. The Sperminator

4. Mothers Little Helper

5. The Urban Guerrilla
WpA5Sbl.jpg
article-sniffer-0915.jpg
masterbating-2.jpg
ecusa-spoiled-brat.jpg
wigger-155133.jpg

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2...ook_at_america_on_a_greyhound_bus_photos.html

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Coywolf and Daman45

Daman45

Reaction score
Website

SophiaII

Shoot Me
Reaction score

Is there such a thing as a premium greyhound?!? I pick my greyhound like this: first, cheapest trips, which means tues, weds, thurs. Second, ones leaving either very early or very late (10pm-6am). Third, all things being the same, I'll take the longer bus, so take the 27hr one over the 23 hr one.

Better drivers, imo, on the schedules that start at night. Most of my drivers have done the same routes for 6+ years. They're usually a bit of an ass, but if you don't bother them, usually chill enough.

Of course, might differ by region. Almost all my greyhound experience has been in the South.

I find the stations to be way more fucking sketch than the bus.

Reactions: tobepxt and Mankini
D

Desert

A month to go from Florida to California and back? By way of thumb? Sure, it may be doable but would it be worth the stress is questionable to me. It would be well worth it to take the trip and give it a shot but I would put aside 2-3 months for a good quality adventure. When you're in a hurry, sitting on the ramp for a day can really kill morale.

Taking I-10 all the way would work but you're going to have to be very careful about where you get dropped off. Going through big cities like Mobile, Houston, El Paso, Phoenix, etc can sometimes take a few days a piece to get through. There are also hundreds of miles of nothingness going through Texas and Arizona; rugged and very dry nothingness. A couple long rides are gonna be key to making it in such a short time.

With a vehicle, gas jugging and sign flying the entire way, my best time one way (Sacramento to St. Augustine) was close to three weeks; rushed but not stressed. I've done SF to NOLA in about a week by thumb but I was pretty fucking tired and hungry when I got there. Obviously, there are people who have done it quicker but a lot of it is going to depend on luck and the resources you have to bring with you.

• Useful
Reactions: Daman45

Daman45

Reaction score
Website
A month to go from Florida to California and back? By way of thumb? Sure, it may be doable but would it be worth the stress is questionable to me. It would be well worth it to take the trip and give it a shot but I would put aside 2-3 months for a good quality adventure. When you're in a hurry, sitting on the ramp for a day can really kill morale.

Taking I-10 all the way would work but you're going to have to be very careful about where you get dropped off. Going through big cities like Mobile, Houston, El Paso, Phoenix, etc can sometimes take a few days a piece to get through. There are also hundreds of miles of nothingness going through Texas and Arizona; rugged and very dry nothingness. A couple long rides are gonna be key to making it in such a short time.

With a vehicle, gas jugging and sign flying the entire way, my best time one way (Sacramento to St. Augustine) was close to three weeks; rushed but not stressed. I've done SF to NOLA in about a week by thumb but I was pretty fucking tired and hungry when I got there. Obviously, there are people who have done it quicker but a lot of it is going to depend on luck and the resources you have to bring with you.

How about ride share on Craiglist? How will that work out?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads