Photos - I pulled the trigger.... | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Photos I pulled the trigger....

LEAN

Reaction score
@Faceplant I agree, you do have to make some decisions on what you want it to be and how you will place certain things but there are some options to do solar and roof rack. The ladder idea doesn't even have to be functional just there for "work" purposes, making it look like a real work van.

@Coywolf Here are some ideas to help you along with your build. I love the idea of an offroad Ford E Van. The last one is definitely capable of running 200 watt solar and having room for gear/gas/etc on top. Lets your really open up the inside and make it comfortable. Start browsing craigslist and facebook marketplace for free and cheap stuff to add to it, plenty of people just giving away stuff where I am at.

Can't wait to see what you do with it, maybe it will finally make me do the same and get one...

img_67142_3_672603ac673e80cf3abc6dba968b42ce.jpg
748e4ae1fc8e5c59ae2d1b4e67358513.jpg
ford-van-roof-rack-side-rails.jpg

Reactions: Coywolf

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Nice looking van, glad you finally got one! At 100,000 rounds, I'd be replacing all the spark plugs immediately. The 5.4 Triton is known for blowing plugs out of their holes, in which case you'd have to do a heli-coil repair, kit offered at any parts store. They are also known to sieze plugs, usually resulting in snapping a plug off when trying to remove them. So like o said, change the spark plugs sooner than later, before you have an issue. Good luck, have fun with the build!

Gulysses3

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.jumpingoffthecliff.com
That's fantastic. If I ever ended up alone for some reason, my first move would be from the RV into a van. I love my RV and the nomadic lifestyle, don't get me wrong, but I would do it a little differently if I were single. I'd spend a lot more time out west on BLM land. Keep us posted on the build.

Reactions: mouse

dprogram

Reaction score
Excellent find! E250 with 100k! I personally own an 2002 E150 since 2012l. I love it! It's got so much room! I never got around to doing mine like you want to do yours but I wish you luck. The trips you'll go on!

Jerrell

Reaction score
One worry I have is whether all the stuff in your pack will fit into the van. LOL

• Haha

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Jerrell ya man, I was worried about that too, lol.

Just as an update, I just purchased a maxair fan, 200 watts of solar and everything to go with it, lights, and insulation.

I'll be working on this for the next few weeks. I'll keep y'all updated.

Reactions: Jerrell

Groundscore

Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be built-out in no time. Stay in it before finishing the build; you might find you want things laid out differently than you originally thought after a few nights of staying in it.

In addition for the contractor look, I would avoid a fake decal, as in some places you might get busted for not having a business license. And a ladder on the side of the rack will just cut into MPG. Go cheap and easy; grab a simple construction vest and always leave it right on the dashboard, in plain sight. No logo; just a basic construction vest, left as visible as possible and you probably won't get hassled. It's worked for me and my van. No knocks, no second looks, not even a question.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
If I had a van like that id add some kind of Bee logo with warning stickers about Live bees being transported. Lol
I think EVERYONE would avoid that van! 😂

• Haha

mouse

Reaction score
Stay in it before finishing the build; you might find you want things laid out differently than you originally thought after a few nights of staying in it.

Excellent advice.

....I would avoid a fake decal, as in some places you might get busted for not having a business license.

I hear some folks have been run off BLM land for having "advertising" (logos/decals) on their vans. Magnetic sign might get around that, I guess.

• Useful

mouse

Reaction score

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@mouse Ya, I put in the Maxx, and I have 200 watts of solar on the roof (with 3m mounting tape, fuck screws) I might run an isolator later in the build, I've heard they are really bad for your alternator.

I'll be posting updates soon, I'm correcting working on interior insulation and walls.

Reactions: Groundscore

mouse

Reaction score
The alternator can get hurt when folks idle the engine to charge the house bank; in the absence of cooling airflow from forward motion the alt overheats and dies early. If one drives normally the alt will safely help out with bulk charging, especially early in the morning. If you want to limit current being pulled from the alt it can be done with a DC-DC isolator. Not cheap but most will limit to 20-30A.

If my bank is deeply discharged to 12.2v or so in the morning, the alternator puts about 40A into the bank for a few seconds. Within 60 secs it's usually dropped off to ~25A as bank voltage rises, and continues to taper off. Been running like that for a couple of years with no obvious damage so far.

3m tape is epic, that's for sure. I mounted my panels to a rack because I didn't want to drive extra screwholes either.

I look forward to your updates!

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Alright folks, I finally have a van update!

I've spent a shot load of time and money already on this, updates include:

-Complete inside demo
-Install of MaxxAir auto roof fan
-Install of rear adjustable vent
-Install of 200 watt solar panels, used 3M binding tape to avoid holes in roof
-Install of solar cable entry gland
-grinding and bondo for holes in floor
-framing on inside ribs
-1" Polyiso insulation on almost every inside surface + pink housing insulation to fill holes
-installation of 3/8" plywood walls/ ceiling, 1/2" plywood floor
-sealing joints with GreatStuff foam/silicone
-Vinyl flooring
-Cedar plank ceilings
-Stained plywood all around
-Install of 4 recessed LED ceiling lights
-install of (2) 125 AH deep cycle batteries, solar charge controller, 2000 watt inverter, 12 volt bus, 12 volt switch/charge station
-Reflectix in rear windows

20191029_121519.jpg

20191102_161128.jpg
20191102_161137.jpg
20191102_161144.jpg
20191102_161204.jpg
20191102_161250.jpg

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya man. Too busy. I cant wait ro start building my storage/bed and get my damn 12 volt TV in there. Gotta play Breath of the Wild, man. Lol.

I'm starting my job in less than 2 weeks. so I have to hurry up with the bed at least. I'm trying to get a trip out to Needles from Flag and back too before I start. So I'm pressed for time.

mouse

Reaction score
Looks like a palace to me, man! Have you heard of folks with hard floors like that using rolling office chairs to scoot around inside (to avoid stooping)?

I've read one can get better performance/balance out of a 2x12v parallel bank by pulling the pos off one battery and the neg off the other, like the right side of this graphic:

batteries-series-vs-parallel.jpg

I have not tested it both ways so I don't know personally.

Keep us posted on your progress!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads