i need a dog!

Az Tek

Reaction score
I agree most kids treat their animals pretty horrible. Rats are good! lol. The big ones and can be made service animals if you get the right ones. I enjoy traveling with a dog as I am mostly solo. High maintenance if you treat it right. Worth it imo. Not to big tho or hopping on the fly is impossible.

RubyOutlaw

Reaction score
i recommend all travelers don't travel with a dog. that's just my personal opinion. most traveler kids suck shit at owning a dog. i've traveled with some cool kids with great dogs but they're been few and far between.

what are you getting the dog for? is it to alleviate loneliness? if so, that's a shitty reason to get a dog.
no one is ever happy by themselves all the time. but if one is never happy alone, that's a sign that maybe they have an issue or two that needs to be dealt with.

the reason people should have a pet is because they want to teach it and watch it grow. they want the deep and involving responsibility for another creatures life.
not because they are lonely, or they need something to yell at, or they want to shatter their alcohol bottles all over the ground only to have their dogs walk through it (i'm talkin to you oogles out there), or because other traveling kids have dogs, or because it's part of the travel kid uniform, or maybe they have absolutely nothing to say, social situations are painful because they don't know how to communicate, they get lonely, they get angry, they get sad, they get a dog.
Now all social interactions have a centeral figure (the dog) to focus on, turning down some of the pressure to be social, shifting the spot light away from unaddressed personal issues... ("huhuh my dog is so great ain't he? i can't talk about anything else but my uniform... oops did i say uniform? i mean dog").
i find myself in situations with animal owners and all they speak about is their animal. what the hell would they talk about if that poorly trained animal didn't exist?
Man, to each his own. I know what you are saying about some travelers not being able to do it right, But those generalities blow, man. Not everyone is like that. I have had my female for seven fucking years. I had her before I ever traveled and I decided to travel because I couldnt find a place in my home town that would let me keep her. So I can't stand it when some person sees kids who don't take care of their animals and assumes that all kids are the same. Fuck that shit. It seems as though you have had a lot of experience with these sort of people....maybe you should reconsider the company you keep dude.

1544c

Reaction score
i'm well aware that not everyone who travels sucks at owning a dog. i stated that in the first paragraph.
i don't think my generalities blow. there are certain predictable behaviors that occur when someone tries to fit an archetype

derailed

Reaction score
I can't imagine traveling without my dog! I don't have a girlfriend, so who else would I beat to deal with my insecurity issues? I'd lose it if I didn't have this money maker that I only keep around because I'm too lazy and selfish to do anything other than sit around shitty drunk every hour of every day. Come on, cut me some slack!

1544c

Reaction score
I can't imagine traveling without my dog! I don't have a girlfriend, so who else would I beat to deal with my insecurity issues? I'd lose it if I didn't have this money maker that I only keep around because I'm too lazy and selfish to do anything other than sit around shitty drunk every hour of every day. Come on, cut me some slack!

haha yeah. that's exactly the attitude i'm against.

laughingisharder

Reaction score
First of all
When you need the next dog it will come to you. Dont go looking for one, when its time it will come to you

...ROFLFUCKENMAYO
Secondly
i recommend all travelers don't travel with a dog. that's just my personal opinion. most traveler kids suck shit at owning a dog. i've traveled with some cool kids with great dogs but they're been few and far between.

what are you getting the dog for? is it to alleviate loneliness? if so, that's a shitty reason to get a dog.
no one is ever happy by themselves all the time. but if one is never happy alone, that's a sign that maybe they have an issue or two that needs to be dealt with.

the reason people should have a pet is because they want to teach it and watch it grow. they want the deep and involving responsibility for another creatures life.
not because they are lonely, or they need something to yell at, or they want to shatter their alcohol bottles all over the ground only to have their dogs walk through it (i'm talkin to you oogles out there), or because other traveling kids have dogs, or because it's part of the travel kid uniform, or maybe they have absolutely nothing to say, social situations are painful because they don't know how to communicate, they get lonely, they get angry, they get sad, they get a dog.
Now all social interactions have a centeral figure (the dog) to focus on, turning down some of the pressure to be social, shifting the spot light away from unaddressed personal issues... ("huhuh my dog is so great ain't he? i can't talk about anything else but my uniform... oops did i say uniform? i mean dog").
i find myself in situations with animal owners and all they speak about is their animal. what the hell would they talk about if that poorly trained animal didn't exist?

That's cool and all about not wearing the uniform of only talking about dogs, sometimes I feel that's a way for someone to have a conversation with someone and not be very personal though still I think, that it's better to actually have a personality when owning an animal so your not hiding or whatever from behind it. Although I don't agree with what you said about travelers not owning dogs...those are animals that are with you severyfucking day from birth, so. If you treat 'em right and train them properly not just the basic sit stay get a fucking treat bullshit, but a dog with real personality, then that's a perfect dog owner, you don't have to give commands because your dog knows what you want.

Only thing I will say in regards to travelers and dogs is please PLEASE, for fuck sakes, get your dog fixed. One of the personal observations I made I've a actually just turned into a rule. If a male dog is with them, he still has his balls and will eventually impregnate a female. If a female dog is with them, it's pregnant. You can just assume that, because 9/10 it is. For someone like me who has been involved with animal rescue for the past 15 years, it's EXTREMELY annoying. I could go on a tangent about how many puppies and dogs are killed everyday in shelters due to people being careless and allowing their dogs to breed, and to walk into a shelter on euthanization day to get the full effect for yourself, but I'll spare you that. Instead I'll say there really is no excuse. There are spay/neuter clinics all over the U.S. that will do it for either very little or free to those with little to no income. That was how we got one of our dogs spayed.

Yeah dude spay and neuter your children, that's real nice. How about when your dog has kids...don't sell them on eBay or craigslist, don't give them to some schwilly dick who's Gunna get it taken by the cops or hit by a car because they trained the damn thing to run twords headlights, be responsible with your puppies and keep them in close circles of friends

And yeah I know your next line..
Oh but that's hard and I don't have enough time for that, I don't know enough people waa waa cry cry whatever put in some freaking effort for your dogs if you want to own them. A parent doesn't just leave their kids to the wolves....well nowadays I guess they do but someone with real morals, and honor wouldn't just let something they raised be treated like a piece of simple meat, tossed around and sold to random strangers for lack of effort or ambition.
No I can't do that I have bills to pay....WTF!!! Yeah electricity and a landlord breathing down your neck for next months rent, that's good that ou sell your children to support your addiction to materialism and comfort. Come on guys think out of the fucking box. I'm tired of all this mediocrity.

Sorry this turned into a rant kinda I'll try to make the next post a little more collected..I was going to try and edit it butyl bored and wanna see some response first...call me metaphorical but it reflects through everything I do.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads