I have done some research...

Gilligan

Reaction score
I am new here although I have been following the forum for some time. I
am also a member on Digihitch.

I have been doing some research on Ontario, Canada's trespassing laws. I found a condemned cottage in a small cottage/port town on Lake Erie. I know the neighbors and they said it was condemned and that the owner was in a mental institution. I instantly thought about squatting it.

I wanted to know the details of my trespassing law, so that I could go about this intelligently and hopefully avoid some problems.

I have learned over the years that the law as a whole is limited. Law enforcement can only enforce what is written in the law. Anything outside the written code cannot be enforced. Definitions are important too. The way things are written and legal definitions leave loop holes that can and are taken advantage of. But, you can never act preemptively, or confidently when confronted by an officer if you do not know what the law says. I found a PDF of the Criminal Code of Canada online. A lot of police use the law out of context. It can be done to scare an individual and it even nails people to the wall if they don't object.

I recently called my local police and asked them how they would treat a squatter. They told me that I would be arrested and charged. They cant do that in reality. Trespassing in Ontario is a provincial law and not a criminal charge. Its punishment is a fine and and with that no criminal proceedings.

The officer further told me he could lay criminal charges and named a few. One being Break and Entry. That law as defined in the code is entering with the MOTIVE of doing a criminal act ie theft. It would never have held in court. Another law he mentioned sounded like a rock hard criminal trespassing law but by definition it related to charging peeping toms. The officer was pulling laws out of the air and being a fear monger to deter such a great thing, SQUATTING.

Since squatting was now clearly in the provincial realm under trespassing I dismissed the local police and contacted the OPP to dissect the law further. The law is clear on the consequences which included up to a few thousand dollar fine and restitution. Trespassing carries a nice price tag but I found out squatting does not. The fact is that an arrest and said fines cannot be layed, unless one of two criteria was met. Number one, that the said property had signs posted (there are clear definitions as to what is an acceptable sign) and number two you were asked once to leave the premises.

My conclusion is that this cottage is fair game as it is not posted and I have never been asked to leave the property. I have some peace now that squatting will not lead to a criminal record as I understand it has for some of my American friends. Ontario seems to be a squat friendly province.

The other night I decided to go scope out the property under the cover of night. The property is over run by bushes. The windows are boarded and the door has been screwed shut. I walked around the cottage to find an open window. As I looked inside I noticed a sweater hanging on the wall. I quickly retreated because the last thing I wanted to do was disturb someone in the middle of the night.

I hope to go back Tuesday. If it is not presently being squatted, I want to repair the window, change the locks, and make it a summer squat on the lake. Maybe it can become my home if I can make the appropriate repairs. I have to find out why it was condemned.

The moral of the story is to arm yourself by studying the law and come to Ontario because the law is friendly to squatters.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Welcome and good luck with your squat.
I would advise you to expect the worst with the pigs though. They often don't know the law and don't care, if they want to beat the shit out of someone who is trespassing, they will, knowing that they will not be held accountable.

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net
Awesome that you did research. I'm happy you live in an area that's more squatter-friendly than most of Amerika.

Welcome to STP.

Gilligan

Reaction score
Welcome and good luck with your squat.
I would advise you to expect the worst with the pigs though. They often don't know the law and don't care, if they want to beat the shit out of someone who is trespassing, they will, knowing that they will not be held accountable.

Thanks for the pointer. I find the local police are pretty bull headed. I almost lost all respect for them but I have met a select few that have earned it.

The provincial police on the other hand seem a bit more studied and friendly. Although I have not dealt with them much except on the phone.

Gilligan

Reaction score
Yeah, Somebody was trying to use my car insurance one time and the cops behind the desk at the station would not do anything for me and then I talked to this supervisor who had a street cop meet up with me. He took care of things for me. He respected my concern when no one else would and he apologized for the other cops that were complete idiots. I give him props for that.

There are a few other cops who impressed me.

I have to say I don't like very many that I have dealt with for the record.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Something relevant to everyone who is squatting, especially those under the delusion that police follow the law:
This past week in Portland, OR there was an illegal eviction of my friends who were openly fixing/living in an old house. Someone in the neighborhood called the pigs to tell them that these people were squatters, and they were put in handcuffs and harassed but not arrested. The pigs couldn't contact the home owner to prove one way or the other if the tenants were supposed to be there (regardless, it's a civil issue and the cops shouldn't have been involved in the first place). Later in the week the cops broke into the house and luckily no-one was home, because everyone moved out because of the harassment and threats from the police. It doesn't matter if they were squatting or legitimately renting, illegal evictions happen all the time and regardless of the law, there probably would have been violence and arrests if anyone was at home that night.

plagueship

Reaction score
don't count your chicks before they're hatched and don't flaunt the usefulness of the law as a squatter's weapon until you've tried it. come on, you don't think cops do things they "aren't supposed to" all the time? the cop will give the landlord more credence than you, and likely as not treat you like an ordinary trespasser. that's how it goes here in the states anyway, although almost universally tenancy is considered to be a civil issue and not technically under the jurisdiction of the police, it just gets considered trespassing.

by all means live the dream just don't have any false illusions about the law protecting you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads