Question I have a problem

Big George W

Humanist
Reaction score
Website
mewe.com
If this was in the early 1980s, I could take the side of the military academy or even joining the military, as I almost did just that in 1982 when I was seriously considering joining the Navy as a means to change my life and follow a dream of being a jet mechanic on an aircraft carrier, but in my case it was a little different, because I kind of had a goal, a reason for joining, and after my parents having a talk with me, it was decided that I would not join but go to an aviation school instead..... anyhow, I'm way off topic as usual.

I'm reading a great book by John Joseph called The Evolution of a Cro-Magnon.

I knew a lot of kids who got into the NYHC scene back in the early 80s because they were living in very bad broken homes, and had a legit reason to split and hope for the best.

Some made it out, but many didn't.

If you are 17, splitting now is a bad idea.
I also feel that going to a military academy or joining the military is a bad idea - today.

Not only do I have the privilage of working with a lot of young veterans who suffer from being overseas in combat, I have a renter behind me who has USMC tattoed across his chest, has seen and I assume also done some pretty bad things in Afghanistan, and feels that he is in charge of everything and can do whatever he want's
I still remember him telling me how he joined the Marines as a Libertarian with the explicit purpose to fuck those up who don't think like him.

I still remember feeling shit, this motherfucker is going to force me out of my own home of 30+ years after dumping about 5 gallons of oil on my property !!
[*that's a whole 'nother story...... and situation I have to deal with at present...]
Do you want to become wired like that, because this dude is "programed"... and damaged in a very bad way ??

Do you want to become like our friend a few comments up proudly posing with his weapon ??

I'm just a few weeks shy of age 58, and as time goes on I am more anti war and anti military than ever.

Why ??

Because I have worked in a defense plant for almost 36 years, and I see the effects of war, the military training, and how people think, how they have been affected, how they feel and truly believe that war is a good thing, of course as long as it is not fought on our own soil, and dealing with these people day in and day out makes me sick.

*I realize that unfortunately we do live in an age where war unfortunately is a looming reality, but seriously - if all that money was spent on ending poverty and hunger instead of defense, would we still have wars ??

My friend, there is some very solid advice contained within this thread, along with good people commenting here who don't want to see you get into trouble.

My advice to you is to sit tight and see if there is any way to make your current situation work which you have not considered.

Think outside the box, because if you can somehow bring about a positive change, then there is a chance that this positive change will be beneficial to you as well, and maybe you wonlt be forced to go to either a hospital or the military academy...

Remember: only love can conquer hate - but sometimes, when through no fault of your own, when you have just found yourself in a very bad situation - you have no other options.

If you have no other option but to flee, and sometimes that is the only option, make sure you have a solid network of friends you can trust and count on for help.

Get John Joseph's book to, and read it.
John been though some real bad shit, yet he was able to win in the end.

Be safe, and be kind to yourself, and if you need help, reach out as there's a lot of real good people here with more solid advice than I can offer.

DirtNap

Chef-Squatch exists and hes me
Reaction score
im gonna stick my head in here for a sec.

Obviously avoid the academy. I drank the Koolaid when i was your age and wound up pretty fucked up for most of my 20s. 0/10, would not recommend.

Best bet, wait till you're 18 and beat feet. like some people said above, use the time to study everything here. travel means, camping, busking, all the skills you need to bail are here. You also have a giant pool of knowledge and experience here, squabbling aside.

If you need something more concrete, as long as you're 18 before May, you should look up CoolWorks.com. They have job listings for all the national parks and an assload of resorts. Grabbing a job as a line cook or housekeeper with your own housing in a national park is a good way to meet like minded people and earn some money to figure things out.

You should also look into state and federal conservation Corps. You get hired on six month contracts to do work in remote areas of state and federal lands fixing ranger shack and cutting trails. Its hard work, you get paid pennies and you're in the woods for weeks at a time, but if you finish your contract you can earn bonuses and education grants for college or tech school.

Good luck boss.

roughdraft

Reaction score
im gonna stick my head in here for a sec.

Obviously avoid the academy. I drank the Koolaid when i was your age and wound up pretty fucked up for most of my 20s. 0/10, would not recommend.

Best bet, wait till you're 18 and beat feet. like some people said above, use the time to study everything here. travel means, camping, busking, all the skills you need to bail are here. You also have a giant pool of knowledge and experience here, squabbling aside.

If you need something more concrete, as long as you're 18 before May, you should look up CoolWorks.com. They have job listings for all the national parks and an assload of resorts. Grabbing a job as a line cook or housekeeper with your own housing in a national park is a good way to meet like minded people and earn some money to figure things out.

You should also look into state and federal conservation Corps. You get hired on six month contracts to do work in remote areas of state and federal lands fixing ranger shack and cutting trails. Its hard work, you get paid pennies and you're in the woods for weeks at a time, but if you finish your contract you can earn bonuses and education grants for college or tech school.

Good luck boss.

Appreciating your honesty.

True confession I applied to the military last year at the age of 31. Long story short, I had things lined up for a good job and failed the hearing test, so to my understanding I am effectively blacklisted because my hearing is inadequate. I was very desperate and wanting a new life. I guess it was a blessing in disguise.

The way I was treated at the MEPS I went to for tests and things was definitely reprehensible. I am all for being upright and on the ball, some might say I have 'some' militant tendencies, but from what I saw there they take the shit a bit too far.

Now I work for a private company. I have worked for a few in my short life. Most importantly I still have a lot of freedom in my life. I'm succeeding reasonably well without all the culture hanging over my head, to say the least. I don't yet have the money I would've been making in the military but I think my quality of life is worth it. I can still apply discipline in my life on my own even in my weakness.

Hobeau

Reaction score
so, I am being threatened to be taken to a hospital or a military academy and fuuuck that. I was on the road for a while but I just recently got picked up by my parents, and now I am in the middle of nowhere oklahoma and they know all of the police in the area. My current plan is to find the nearest railroad tracks and hop on a train going any direction to get the hell out of dodge. Anyone have any advice or tips on how to evade cops in rural areas ? , Not sure where the hell i'm gonna go , but my goal is to get to the nearest big city.

:ninja:

You're gonna fuck up your life, kid.
Stay home.
You will thank me years down the road.

Reactions: Forth

UeberTrucker

Reaction score
Is there a Truckstop somewhere near you ? Preferably a large one. Download the TruckerPath app onto your phone. Itll show you a map of all the Truckstops in Oklahoma....Tell them youre a team driver in a team truck and either your truck broke down and youre waiting for your boss to book you a hotel room or you needed to just get out of the truck for a while.....go sit in the Drivers Lounge or the TV room. Some sleep overnight in those rooms....Then quietly as a clean looking Trucker who speaks english if he can give you a ride to wherever you want to go. Maybe Florida or Texas ? U can email me at bighonorman@gmail.com if u need more tips or info. 👍

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads