Question I have a problem

CluelessHero

Reaction score
so, I am being threatened to be taken to a hospital or a military academy and fuuuck that. I was on the road for a while but I just recently got picked up by my parents, and now I am in the middle of nowhere oklahoma and they know all of the police in the area. My current plan is to find the nearest railroad tracks and hop on a train going any direction to get the hell out of dodge. Anyone have any advice or tips on how to evade cops in rural areas ? , Not sure where the hell i'm gonna go , but my goal is to get to the nearest big city.

:ninja:

Last edited:

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
so, I am being threatened to be taken to a hospital or a military academy and fuuuck that. I was on the road for a while but I just recently got picked up by my parents, and now I am in the middle of nowhere oklahoma and they know all of the police in the area. My current plan is to find the nearest railroad tracks and hop on a train going any direction to get the hell out of dodge. Anyone have any advice or tips on how to evade cops in rural areas ? , Not sure where the hell i'm gonna go , but my goal is to get to the nearest big city.

:ninja:

Well, if you're gonna go and there's no reconsidering or making shit work at home.. I'd at very least give the current season we're in some consideration when making this decision. January is the coldest month of the year, yanno? So, if I were making the same decisions I think I'd look at places closer to the equator. Florida being the closest. After that, it's more or less a tie between all the southern US states. By southern I mean the lower border of the entire country, so even southern California would be included. CA, AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL will be far warmer than the northern states.

As far as laying low and not being spotted, that's all pretty self explanatory right? Bright colors are obviously not ideal. Dark drab greys and black, brown blend in better with darkness. Or just get yourself a cowboy getup. For some reason cops don't seem to fuck with "cowboys" too much. I used to have a friend who did graffiti all over town. He'd just be strolling around on foot at 3am with a bag full of spray paint and markers bombing everything but when cops would pass him he'd just be some dude in a cowboy hat, a pair of shitkickers and some wranglers. They wouldn't even bat an eyelash at him. Apparently that's the "probably not a criminal, probably not committing any crimes" costume.

Good luck, be safe.

CluelessHero

Reaction score
Well, if you're gonna go and there's no reconsidering or making shit work at home.. I'd at very least give the current season we're in some consideration when making this decision. January is the coldest month of the year, yanno? So, if I were making the same decisions I think I'd look at places closer to the equator. Florida being the closest. After that, it's more or less a tie between all the southern US states. By southern I mean the lower border of the entire country, so even southern California would be included. CA, AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL will be far warmer than the northern states.

As far as laying low and not being spotted, that's all pretty self explanatory right? Bright colors are obviously not ideal. Dark drab greys and black, brown blend in better with darkness. Or just get yourself a cowboy getup. For some reason cops don't seem to fuck with "cowboys" too much. I used to have a friend who did graffiti all over town. He'd just be strolling around on foot at 3am with a bag full of spray paint and markers bombing everything but when cops would pass him he'd just be some dude in a cowboy hat, a pair of shitkickers and some wranglers. They wouldn't even bat an eyelash at him. Apparently that's the "probably not a criminal, probably not committing any crimes" costume.

Good luck, be safe.

thanks.

texastraveler

Reaction score
dude i got sent to marine military academy for a summer, AVOID THAT SHIT AT ALL COSTS!!!!

as far as avoiding cops in rural areas goes, avoid visual exposure. if you're talking rural rural, everyone knows everyone and their business. the sheriff and his deputies especially, and if they see someone they deem a transient or drifter they WILL find a reason to stop you and see what's up. if you can get a ride through such areas, make sure you get through. otherwise switch to an alternate route if you feel someone pays a bit too much attention. i've had cops called on me backpacking around east texas

if i was you I'd take Lupo's advice. it's been a rough winter even in the south, now is not a good time. I made shit work with my folks, when I got sent to MMA I was 16 and flat out told my parents I'd drop out before graduation if I was sent. (i was on track to graduate after 18) we reached compromise and things worked out. if you can i'd try and work things out with your folks. i hit the road ASAP to get away from an abusive and dysfunctional family, i'm better off for it but you can easily find yourself stuck travelling and it's not for everyone, certainly not on the long term

CluelessHero

Reaction score
dude i got sent to marine military academy for a summer, AVOID THAT SHIT AT ALL COSTS!!!!

as far as avoiding cops in rural areas goes, avoid visual exposure. if you're talking rural rural, everyone knows everyone and their business. the sheriff and his deputies especially, and if they see someone they deem a transient or drifter they WILL find a reason to stop you and see what's up. if you can get a ride through such areas, make sure you get through. otherwise switch to an alternate route if you feel someone pays a bit too much attention. i've had cops called on me backpacking around east texas

if i was you I'd take Lupo's advice. it's been a rough winter even in the south, now is not a good time. I made shit work with my folks, when I got sent to MMA I was 16 and flat out told my parents I'd drop out before graduation if I was sent. (i was on track to graduate after 18) we reached compromise and things worked out. if you can i'd try and work things out with your folks. i hit the road ASAP to get away from an abusive and dysfunctional family, i'm better off for it but you can easily find yourself stuck travelling and it's not for everyone, certainly not on the long term

thanks man.
im weighing out my options rn and still not sure what to do, they wont budge about the military academy.
i think the plan currently is to wait until after january at least to leave.

Dak

Reaction score
I ran away numerous times in my teens, the one thing I learned in the end was that it was never ideal in the long run...the best traveling in my experience is always done under smooth circumstances (i.e, no truancy bullshit, warrants, parental troubles, and especially cop or military interest...) so if it's possible to smooth things over with the folks for a little bit (even if its a bullshit treaty on your part) then I'd suggest that, for whatever its worth. It's definitely not the best time to high tail it, but maybe it never is...follow your instincts at the end of the day but stay safe and smart in the process. Good luck!

CluelessHero

Reaction score
I ran away numerous times in my teens, the one thing I learned in the end was that it was never ideal in the long run...the best traveling in my experience is always done under smooth circumstances (i.e, no truancy bullshit, warrants, parental troubles, and especially cop or military interest...) so if it's possible to smooth things over with the folks for a little bit (even if its a bullshit treaty on your part) then I'd suggest that, for whatever its worth. It's definitely not the best time to high tail it, but maybe it never is...follow your instincts at the end of the day but stay safe and smart in the process. Good luck!

thanks for the advice, I think I might just wait it out. I only have a year left so might as well wait till im 18 and stay out of trouble.

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, I think I might just wait it out. I only have a year left so might as well wait till im 18 and stay out of trouble.

And then you can use the time to learn about subjects that interest you.

cough trains cough

Ahem...sorry, just clearing my throat. 😉

NewMexicoJim

High mileage, good condition.
Reaction score
The only freedom we have is the freedom to think our own thoughts and make up our own minds. Use that freedom wisely. My experience is not yours but I would counsel you to avoid the military academy unless you want someone to think for you. Some people want that but I'm guessing you don't. Winter is upon us and it is fierce so patience now is the better option. Good luck, be safe and never ever give up.

CluelessHero

Reaction score
The only freedom we have is the freedom to think our own thoughts and make up our own minds. Use that freedom wisely. My experience is not yours but I would counsel you to avoid the military academy unless you want someone to think for you. Some people want that but I'm guessing you don't. Winter is upon us and it is fierce so patience now is the better option. Good luck, be safe and never ever give up.

thanks man.

Reactions: Dak

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
I'd advise to go to the academy, it'll be an easy worry free time, all you need to do is workout and eat

You'll work harder to avoid it and as a minor you'll just be digging yourself into a hole, maybe burning bridges. No way to make money but crime or spanging

Just do some pushups for a few months and it'll be done with soon enough. They're not going to mind control you and you're not going to deploy
Screenshot_20221228-152053_Photos.jpg

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd advise to go to the academy, it'll be an easy worry free time, all you need to do is workout and eat

I strongly disagree. For starters, OP themselves had this to say about even the thought of going to a military academy; "fuuuck that".
So right out the gate, that statement alone right there is enough that you really shouldn't be trying to push that shit on them just because it worked for you. They clearly want no part of it. And "It'll be an easy worry free time" sounds like a bunch of copium to me. It's fine if that's what you gotta tell yourself to get through the shit you signed up for but I highly doubt anything titled "military academy" is going to be easy or a worry free experience. You're literally hazed for months and titled a "rat". Yeah sounds super chill bro.

No way to make money but crime or spanging

Really? There's no other way to make money huh? You can do a whole myriad of under the table jobs. You can be a fucking twitch streamer and make a fortune if you have the right charisma. There's like a million ways to make money outside of crime/spanging. That's such a fat load of bullshit. You must have zero creativity to even draw that conclusion.

They're not going to mind control you and you're not going to deploy

Idk bro, I think they might have already mind controlled you, you're out here selling their war machine for them. What's next for you? You gonna take that gun overseas and kill brown skinned people who never did anything to you? Then come back with a shit ton of PTSD(if you actually have a conscience anyway). I guess that's fine if that's what you want to do with your life but I don't think you should be trying to talk other people into it. But I'm sure you'll get that good ol' American hero's welcome when you come back and we'll see you on the street corner with the other vets holding out their "Veteran, broke and hungry anything helps" cardboard signs.

Sounds so fucking bleak to me. OP, you can do a lot of other shit and if it means burning some bridges.. fucking burn them. Those bridges weren't worth holding onto anyway.

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Yes you're so virtuous and wise, advising a minor to run away because they view JROTC as inconvenient.
Very responsible.

The easy way out is rarely the right way, nor is it often easier in the long run.

Going to an adademy isn't signing up, and he can leave when he's 18, ready to move on with his life without having burned his bridges and/or made a record

CluelessHero

Reaction score
I strongly disagree. For starters, OP themselves had this to say about even the thought of going to a military academy; "fuuuck that".
So right out the gate, that statement alone right there is enough that you really shouldn't be trying to push that shit on them just because it worked for you. They clearly want no part of it. And "It'll be an easy worry free time" sounds like a bunch of copium to me. It's fine if that's what you gotta tell yourself to get through the shit you signed up for but I highly doubt anything titled "military academy" is going to be easy or a worry free experience. You're literally hazed for months and titled a "rat". Yeah sounds super chill bro.

Really? There's no other way to make money huh? You can do a whole myriad of under the table jobs. You can be a fucking twitch streamer and make a fortune if you have the right charisma. There's like a million ways to make money outside of crime/spanging. That's such a fat load of bullshit. You must have zero creativity to even draw that conclusion.

Idk bro, I think they might have already mind controlled you, you're out here selling their war machine for them. What's next for you? You gonna take that gun overseas and kill brown skinned people who never did anything to you? Then come back with a shit ton of PTSD(if you actually have a conscience anyway). I guess that's fine if that's what you want to do with your life but I don't think you should be trying to talk other people into it. But I'm sure you'll get that good ol' American hero's welcome when you come back and we'll see you on the street corner with the other vets holding out their "Veteran, broke and hungry anything helps" cardboard signs.

Sounds so fucking bleak to me. OP, you can do a lot of other shit and if it means burning some bridges.. fucking burn them. Those bridges weren't worth holding onto anyway.

I agree with you on this man, I really don't want to go to the military academy except for a absolute last resort.
got plenty of family members who a totally fucked from the army. so yea ,probably just gonna do what it takes to do my own thing, even if i burn some bridges in the meantime.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes you're so virtuous and wise, advising a minor to run away because they view JROTC as inconvenient.
Very responsible.

The easy way out is rarely the right way, nor is it often easier in the long run.

Going to an adademy isn't signing up, and he can leave when he's 18, ready to move on with his life without having burned his bridges and/or made a record

Oh I advised a minor to run away did I? Read it again ya fuckin dolt.
Well, if you're gonna go and there's no reconsidering or making shit work at home.. I'd at very least give the current season we're in some consideration when making this decision.

Read it as many times as it takes for it to sink in. Pay close attention to the very first part. Did you see it? Do you want me to explain it for you? Okay I will. Have you ever met a teenager? I have, I was actually one myself too. And I know how teenagers are. You're gonna do what you're gonna do. How often did you listen to older folks tell you "lift with your legs, not with your back" and all kinds of shit like that and you being that all knowing and all wise teen that you are say to yourserlf "Man, whatever. This old man musta been weak af when he was my age. This shit's like 70 pounds big fucking deal" and go on to heft those bales of hay or whatever the fuck they are the wrong way because you don't notice any pain from it so surely they're wrong?

I know that was me. I know I wasn't the only one who didn't listen. When I made my mind up there wasn't much that someone twice my age was going to say to convince me to reconsider. So what I did there was acknowledged that. I said "Well, if you're gonna go and there's no reconsidering or making shit work" meaning this is what you should be doing but I know I probably wouldn't have listened to someone telling me that when I was your age so yeah.. if you're going and there's no stopping you.. then at very least consider these other factors so that you can be kinda somewhat prepared.

They're unlikely to listen to someone that's telling them the exact opposite of what they want to hear but if you acknowledge their freedom to make their own decisions and then just simply offer up some tips if they're going to make that decision anyway.. Well, they might at very least give the tips some consideration. I didn't say "Bro, you should totally run away! Get the fuck out of there that's the greatest idea ever!". But it was cute how you tried to paint it that way. Try again.

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
Hey bro, I know this is a (kinda?) old thread.. kinda resurrecting them right now I guess. I hope you’re still relatively free. My family dumped me out when I was 16. While I’m envious that you have folks that “care” (if that’s what it really is.. we all know it usually ain’t the case), I understand 100% wanting to be free.
I’m assuming you’re still 17; will you be 18 in the fall? I THINK the beet harvests in MT, ND, and MI hire at 18. Might be 21 but I’m not 100% sure. I plan on heading that way in late august or september. Put in applications early and hoping for the best.
Given the timeline, ya might be an adult by that point. And it’s decent money quickly, but long hours. It would be a good start as your first quick gig as an adult. Look into it if you’re still out there, apply, and see where it goes. Wouldn’t hurt.
Regardless of what your goals are, you’re gonna need cash flow. You don’t want to be stuck spanging if you don’t have to, though young sober guys seem to do pretty damn well.
All I know is that I envy being your age with a blank slate, before the baby mama, before the crushing debt, before life really.
Check in, let us know you’re good.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads