I can see why so many homeless abuse meth | Squat the Planet

I can see why so many homeless abuse meth

noothgrush

Reaction score
I'm not condoning it but I have tried it. Watched some very good people deteriorate. It keeps you awake and kills the feeling of hunger which are Two of the biggest problems homeless people deal with. I'm sure I'll get hate for this but I'm just saying I get it that's all.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
I'm not condoning it but I have tried it. Watched some very good people deteriorate. It keeps you awake and kills the feeling of hunger which are Two of the biggest problems homeless people deal with. I'm sure I'll get hate for this but I'm just saying I get it that's all.

I won't hate on you,
but nope nope nope nope
I nope the heck outta that.
I've seen tweakers, I've seen what it does, and NOTHING is worth that. Just seing someone who does meth is enough of a deterrent to me.

roughdraft

Reaction score
i get where yr comin from.

long story short , i was dosed with some when i was like 15 and had very little previous substance exposure

full disclosure i haven't ingested it since so i havent used it purposefully

did i enjoy having it in me? absolutely - but i also feel like it messed my brain up especially at that age - & years later, i have bumped into quite a few (at least seeming) tweakers around PDX, ATX and Medford especially and man....it's very much a difficult kind of person to deal with

like any drug it has it's immediate benefits and short/longterm consequences. unfortunately the stronger the former the more grave the latter, typically (in my opinion)

so i currently know better than to use it but for those who don't i can see the appeal. unfortunately the reasons for use are the reasons we all know how bad it is because we are exposed to tweakers no matter where we may go

Last edited:

Maki40

Reaction score
Im sure youll have the time of your life on it, but what goes up, must come down and the higher up you go, the harder the fall. Not worth it.
I see anything addictive as slavery. Youll become a slave to the drug. I just quit drinking, weed, nicotine, and caffeine this month, and feel great. I'm living off about $3 a day for food only, so I only need to fly a sign like 2 hours a week, and I'm a free man after that. No job, no bills, no addictions, and free as a bird.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah, i did a LOT of coke back in the day, especially when i lived in Los Angeles. at that point it was just starting to transition into speedier stuff that would eventually become meth, and i remember just flying on that shit and getting so much done, but also being uncharacteristically paranoid and just acting like an idiot.

i had a real good scare in nola that was a combination of coke and cat allergies (asthma) that seriously made me think i was dying, so i quit cold after that, so glad i did.

anyways, i understand first hand why people do it, but folks should avoid it at all costs.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I can't understand why anyone would do it. I mean I absolutely get what you're saying. Curbs appetite, you can stay awake longer when it's difficult to find places to sleep. There's many reasons but you have to purposely ignore the long term stuff we all know comes with meth use. If all that terrible shit didn't always come with it I probably would have tried it myself.

I can't help but consider the future though. Do I want to end up like every tweaker I've ever known? Definitely not. So I'm not even gonna try it. The "positive" reasons don't outweigh the negative. Unhealthy as fuck, twitchy, scabs all over their face, teeth look like they tried to bite-stop a chain saw, nobody trusts them, the list goes on and on.

noothgrush

Reaction score
I was housed up when I used it. I actually take care of myself better mentally and physically when I'm homeless. All of my psychological problems come out when I'm stuck between four walls. Its bizarre really.

I had a friend get me onto it and it made me so fucking paranoid. I couldn't keep using it. She did. I just watched her fall apart man and seeing that has kept me off the hard stuff.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I appreciate this post. As it seems much more useful that the "I fucking hate tweakers" thread.

I'll come out and say it. I've done meth a few times. I'm not ashamed of it....however, just as with any substance you have to know your limits, and if it works for you.

Meth didnt work for me. As others have said, "The up ain't worth the coming down".

Seriously, besides trying Oxy the one time I did (worst come down ever of my life), meth is a close second. I have never wanted more of that shit after coming down.

I've done alot of coke, as Matt stated, it started to get cut with BS, and it scared me. I like coke, it's a fun drug, but yet again, I've never wanted more after coming down.

I think this has alot to do with me being on Amphetamine as a child diagnosed with ADHD.

Now. To the tweaker issue. From what I see, tweakers are usually people that have either

A. Been dealt a shitty hand in life and have turned to something that makes them feel better about it. Which ends up becoming an addiction.

B. Do not have a great sense of self control and even though they KNOW they shouldn't do it, instead say "Hell! Just this once...then maybe twice....then maybe for a week...ect"

Tweakers usually arent bad people, they are just choke-holders by a substance. Same with heroin.

I knew a girl that went from aspiring single mother, to dead, in three months from using. It's very sad.

Dont judge people from the drugs they do. Only give them insight as harsh love if that recreation becomes harmful, and dangerous addiction.

Also, to the most important subject....

Can we please start a movement to say HOUSELESS instead of HOMELESS!?

Love,

Coywolf

Ringo

Reaction score
10 years ago, I didn’t meet traveling people who did this shit. It was always locals and homebums, but that’s changed in the last 4-5 years and I don’t know why. I’ve done it. You can definitely get some stuff done, but the instability it creates isn’t even close to being worth productivity gained. Feels pretty good though. I say stay the hell away though.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah I don't think we need to completely change the words, they're entirely different imo. Houseless feels more of a choice, to be free of all that houses typically entail, rent, bills, etc. Homeless to me at least means you're kinda fucked. Whatever circumstances may be, you're without a home but you'd rather be housed up if given the choice.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dont judge people from the drugs they do. Only give them insight as harsh love if that recreation becomes harmful, and dangerous addiction.

Took me a long time to come around to this. My nephew who was murdered last year was a full on tweaker, kid had a heart of gold. Just got stuck on a substance he always talked about quitting.

He actually died fighting off a dude who had just gotten out of prison for stabbing a woman, dude went back and attacked the same woman, nephew grabbed a bar and got the guy off her. He was stabbed over 30 times, the guy is only getting 12 years and able to get out in just over 9 years with time served in county. Doesn't seem right, they said that bar made the difference.

Point being though, he smoked dope but he was a soldier for a good cause. I'll never judge someone based on their drug of choice again. My tone above may have sounded judgy but the reality is I was just spittin facts about the long-term.

D

Deleted member 125

With the amount of shit I put up my nose in my late teens/early 20's I'd be surprised if I havnt done it without knowing I was doing it at the time. I think like most people around my age who didn't get too deep in that kinda stuff I'm really glad and greatfull that the only thing I've ever had a problem with was alcohol.

Addiction is really a huge problem in our culture and it sucks how easily people get caught up in stuff like dope and meth because I know I'm not the only one who's lost friends to that shit.

Shit Beetle

Reaction score
Ironically, it was a drug that made me realize I HAD to quit drugs.

I've always been a drinker, but this past year I became a stoner too. Then I started fucking around with coke and other things. Coke was fun but it scared me because of HOW much fun it was...I could see myself going down a dark road with that one. But every time I got plastered and/or high I'd do a line or eight. Then I got into LSD and started drifting away from the other stuff (consciousness expanding chemicals combined with my natural tendency towards introspection made me realize I had to stop using booze and weed as an excuse). Then I tried shrooms for the first time about a month ago (I hippy-flipped) and suddenly I didn't want to fuck with ANY of it anymore. I had 2 beers and a hit of weed last week while hanging out with some people and I IMMEDIATELY hated myself for it. I got lucky, though; I know a lot of people who went down that same path only to come to the conclusion they should KEEP trying new things and pushing themselves further so far as potency and regularity went.

I'm absolutely terrified of drugs because I know how much I like them.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Damn, where do I start?

I'm sitting inches off of RR property in Tucson right now (ya, figured it out), and am like DAMN! that's alot of shit to sift through!!

That movement is started, but I think there are still some distinctions between the two, no?
Us locals call it Methford, OR

Yes, there is definitely a divide...I want to liken it to the difference between homebums and travelers, but I'm not sure it's that simple. Still, I feel many "homeless" people still feel they have a home in their towns/cities, just not the one they would prefer.

Took me a long time to come around to this. My nephew who was murdered last year was a full on tweaker, kid had a heart of gold. Just got stuck on a substance he always talked about quitting.

He actually died fighting off a dude who had just gotten out of prison for stabbing a woman, dude went back and attacked the same woman, nephew grabbed a bar and got the guy off her. He was stabbed over 30 times, the guy is only getting 12 years and able to get out in just over 9 years with time served in county. Doesn't seem right, they said that bar made the difference.

Point being though, he smoked dope but he was a soldier for a good cause. I'll never judge someone based on their drug of choice again. My tone above may have sounded judgy but the reality is I was just spittin facts about the long-term.

That is an epic story. I've heard so many that echo the sentiment, unfortunately. First of all, I sorry for your loss.

Secondly, fuck the "justice" system. The fact that self defense and protecting another will work against you is despicable. California still gives you a record of manslaughter for self defense with a firearm.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone would do it. I mean I absolutely get what you're saying. Curbs appetite, you can stay awake longer when it's difficult to find places to sleep. There's many reasons but you have to purposely ignore the long term stuff we all know comes with meth use. If all that terrible shit didn't always come with it I probably would have tried it myself.

I can't help but consider the future though. Do I want to end up like every tweaker I've ever known? Definitely not. So I'm not even gonna try it. The "positive" reasons don't outweigh the negative. Unhealthy as fuck, twitchy, scabs all over their face, teeth look like they tried to bite-stop a chain saw, nobody trusts them, the list goes on and on.

Same. It turns people into zombies. It takes away your humanity.

I appreciate this post. As it seems much more useful that the "I fucking hate tweakers" thread.

I'll come out and say it. I've done meth a few times. I'm not ashamed of it....however, just as with any substance you have to know your limits, and if it works for you.

Meth didnt work for me. As others have said, "The up ain't worth the coming down".

Seriously, besides trying Oxy the one time I did (worst come down ever of my life), meth is a close second. I have never wanted more of that shit after coming down.

I've done alot of coke, as Matt stated, it started to get cut with BS, and it scared me. I like coke, it's a fun drug, but yet again, I've never wanted more after coming down.

I think this has alot to do with me being on Amphetamine as a child diagnosed with ADHD.

Now. To the tweaker issue. From what I see, tweakers are usually people that have either

A. Been dealt a shitty hand in life and have turned to something that makes them feel better about it. Which ends up becoming an addiction.

B. Do not have a great sense of self control and even though they KNOW they shouldn't do it, instead say "Hell! Just this once...then maybe twice....then maybe for a week...ect"

Tweakers usually arent bad people, they are just choke-holders by a substance. Same with heroin.

I knew a girl that went from aspiring single mother, to dead, in three months from using. It's very sad.

Also, to the most important subject....

Can we please start a movement to say HOUSELESS instead of HOMELESS!?

Love,

Coywolf

At least in my area, the heroin and meth leads directly to theft. They have to support their habit, and let's face it, on meth or heroin, the person can't be trusted because they'll do anything, lie to anyone, hurt anyone, steal anything, to get their fix. I don't trust that kind of desperation. I've seen people on meth and heroin, not a pretty sight. and it's really difficult for me to feel sorry for people; like, hello!!!! you tried METH. Wtf did you expect. I don't trust obvious users.

I love my weed and psychedelia, but want nothing to do with uppers, downers, dirty drugs. I just wanna wonder at the cosmos.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy Beans

Shit Beetle

Reaction score
I highly recommend the book "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff to damn near ANYONE. It's written by a journalist who watched his son struggle with methamphetamine addiction for years; the highs and the lows and the constant trips to rehab. He researched the chemical and sociological side of addiction with the tenacity of any good journalist while pouring all the heart and emotion into it as you would expect from a loving father. There's a movie out there with Steve Carrell as well, but I've never seen it (though I've heard good things). Definitely worth checking out.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
I did heroin and meth and I never stole anything. In fact I was working two jobs to support my habits. What a shitty life that was!

and at some point, employers find out and fire the indivdual. I lived in a tweaky part of AZ so saw it all the time. They're good until their erratic behavior gets them fired... then they still need a fix.

Reactions: Prophetess333

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads