hows it going

F

Firefly

Been lurking for a bit, decided to finally make an account. Just a random 20-something from the east coast. Currently in carolina, but about to head west; looking for work as I go. Tired of being in this small town, and ready to experience life. I like the outdoors, fishing especially. Will be losing my hopping virginity in a few days. Nervous but excited all at the same time. I'm not a punk or into that scene, just stay to myself as much as possible. Made a lot of mistakes when I was younger. Currently I'm over-romanticizing the hobo lifestyle, don't know if it'll last once I begin to experience it, but life is too short to ask what if.

Anyway, ill keep this short. I tend to stay to myself as I said earlier, so I don't know if ill contribute much to this site. But ill definately be reading as much as I can. And hoping to turn all the knowledge and shared experiences into my own personal experiences. Everyone seems frosty so I'm optimistic. Thanks for your time.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
Greetings, bruddah, and welcome to the boArdz. Yes, yes, yeessss, there is sooo much life out there to experience, and once the journey begins, you often find that it branches off into 8 MORE possible directions, and then 10 MORE, and then... and then.... Whereas being stuck in one place often only does one thing, and that is, entrenching you deeper and deeper into the TRENCH! OF DOOOM!! Sorry, I'm getting a bit loopy at the moment... I hear you about the making mistakes; I used to have a wonderful (what could have been a) career, teaching preskoolers, but I got caught with herbalz while kickin' it with my vagabond friends on the streets after work. :*( Sucks, breaks my heart, but there is a purpose, and a reason, to all of these journeys and problems. Perhaps what you and I are currently labeling as 'mistakes' were just learning/growing experiences, and it may take YEARS of traveling (both psychically and physically) to get to the point where we can look back and say, 'Ahhh, so THAT'S why all that SHIT happened. It has brought me HERE, and I could never have ended up HERE were it not for ______'. That's what I hope and pray, at least. :)

Good luck with the hoppin'; I've never done it, I'm not cool enough, I guess. :) It's definitely on my bucket list, though! Where in 'Carolina' are you? If you ever get sick of hopping trains and scrambling around yards, I-40 (route 66, mannnn!!) is a good hitch, and will take ya all the way to LA area. West is Best!! <3

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
where in the crackalakees are ya? if yer up for a cold winter theres work in the dakotas in the oil fields, easier to pick up in the cold months
if yer tryin to ride the raiols pm me where yer at and where ya want to go, i cant give you any exact schedual or nothin, cuz no one can, but i can tell ya where to go to get to where ya wanna go.
NY, PA, NJ, MD south and west are the lines i know best where yer at
dont die and keep yer feet!

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
ps EAST COAST SON!!!! FUCK THE LAND OF THA SETTING SUN

(im in central cali on tha coast)

i fucking suck.

Reactions: wokofshame
F

Firefly

Yes, most were learning experiences :)

I'm in Beaufort County NC, near the pamlico river. Ill keep that in mind, haven't really thought much about hitching but always an option, thanks.

absurdtoast

Reaction score
Man its always nice to know there are people out there feelin the same kinds of things. I too feel like I've over-romanticized the hobo lifestyle...and ya know what? historically hobo's have all felt that way dating back to one of the more famous hobo's Harry McClintock..whose famous tune Big Rock Candy Mountain was about all the glorious fantasies and romanticism's that went on back in the 1890's among young hobo's lookin for work and adventure.
The song is silly and tells of the amazing life of a hobo that McClintock bought into as a youth, only to later realize..bein a hobo ain't that easy.

The life of a hobo has always been romanticized and we all know its not always sunny and ya don't always got a full belly. So, you are totally right about just doing it..and that's what I'm tellin myself too. If ya hate the hobo life, too bad, nothin is set in stone so ya just do something else...but living having wished you've done it and never got to...well now that's scary.

SO welcome and GOOD LUCK!

D

Deleted member 20

Welcome to the site. Everyone made mistakes when they were younger, its just growing up. I am a random 30 something from the eastcoast, punk but I aint crusty, different strokes for different folks. Nice hat, I actually got a abu boonie hat & cammies & 2 molle packs in a trade awhile back but havent rocked the hat yet. Where in carolina you at? I was stationed at Camp Legeune, NC about 15 years ago (wow I guess I am old but I still havent grown upp so fuck em all),

D

Deleted member 20

I would normaly suggest waiting till spring for most new people but didnt want to sound elitist. You do any commercial fishing out of sneads ferry? What kinda work you do?

F

Firefly

Welcome to the site. Everyone made mistakes when they were younger, its just growing up. I am a random 30 something from the eastcoast, punk but I aint crusty, different strokes for different folks. Nice hat, I actually got a abu boonie hat & cammies & 2 molle packs in a trade awhile back but havent rocked the hat yet. Where in carolina you at? I was stationed at Camp Legeune, NC about 15 years ago (wow I guess I am old but I still havent grown upp so fuck em all),

I'm two hours north of Jacksonville. Take it your were 2nd Mar Div? Done 4 years as a corpsman, marines took good care of me. Better care than the Navy but that's another story.

Thanks for the welcome all.

F

Firefly

I would normaly suggest waiting till spring for most new people but didnt want to sound elitist. You do any commercial fishing out of sneads ferry? What kinda work you do?

I done a lot of clamming back in the day around swansboro. Father got cracked out and sold his CFL so I left the area. Haven't been back since. I've been working as a mechanic recently. Working on utility vehicles but not enough work for me here.

D

Deleted member 20

Cco 1/2 2nd Mar Div. Myself being a grunt, corpsman are the only Navy that I care for. I actually work on a double dredge clam boat (165' 180 cages or about 5k bushels) I got a buddy named Morgwyn Pennypacker who was a corpsman & hes also a clammer & a famous tattoo artist.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads