1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

How yo get a dog when you have no address or money?

Discussion in 'Furry Nomads' started by Sexyrexy1989, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Sexyrexy1989

Sexyrexy1989 Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Lompoc, California, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    So lately after many failed human realationships, ive deceided id like to get a dog for mans best friend.

How did my fellow STP kids get there puppies

id like to know.

-Happy travels-

2. jeffyDee

jeffyDee One of the Regulars

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -7
    I bought my dog off some lady for 50 bucks when he was a 4 weeks old turned out he is a super smart dog and is my best / only friend haha.

3. outlawloose

outlawloose Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    artist, bike courier
    Address:
    Mont Albert North, VIC, Australia
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +479 / -5
    Yer, Im in the same position and been wondering the same thing. Everyone selling/gifting dogs wants to know its going to a family with 2.5 kids and a white picket fence. What lies have worked for all you dog owners out there?

4. GypsyFreak

GypsyFreak Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    deadbeat
    Address:
    East Margaree, Nova Scotia, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +54 / -1
    I adopted my dog, not from a shelter, but from a delightful woman who just couldn't handle him anymore. Prior to adopting him I visited endless shelters and spoke with many people online. Every person I spoke with was dying to give their dog to me, but i was really just searching for the right mutt. I told them the truth. If you're always on the road the dog ends up with a highly active lifestyle but also with an owner who gives a shit about them. When road kids get dogs its not like getting a pet, Its like getting a new bestfriend. We're with our dogs at ALL hours of the day, and only part with them to buy groceries and shit like that. Anyone looking to give a dog out is trying to find the best possible environment for that dog, and i think a lot of people know that the typical suburban family isnt gonna give as much love to the pup as a person who wants it as a traveling companion. Bottom line is showing them how much you would care for the animal and explaining how much outdoor time they're gonna have. Doesnt every dog dream of being a road dog?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kim Chee

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I bout a pitbull once for $12 (or was it $8?) from a guy by the tracks in Bako. Put the pup on a loaded boxcar for Colton, flew a sign with her for a couple of days before selling her for $25 to a couple kids heading to the east coast with their pit.

(Now before anybody bashes me, I rescued that dog from Bakersfield, fair enough?)

I was gifted a puppy once from a girl in tears at RV Walmart who couldn't keep her. Her attempts to sell her pup were unsuccessful. I gave her to an StP member who really wanted her. Mine for about 5 minutes.

I once dound a 12# older dog who appeared to not have a home (she was thirsty as all heck, but wasn't hungry). I told myself that I would give her to the first person who showed interest. When I went out dumpstering for cans a guy approached me and I asked him if he wanted her. He said, "my family has been looking for a dog like this for a long time." Mine for about 45 minutes.

I'm not trying to say that dogs are a dime a dozen, but they are kind of all over if you keep your eyes peeled.

6. Gaucho Deluxe

Gaucho Deluxe Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    travel art bum person
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,034 / -33
    anyone ever wrangle themselves a wild dog? like an actual wild dog that runs around a city and knows nothing else?

7. OP
    OP
    Sexyrexy1989

Sexyrexy1989 Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Lompoc, California, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    Yah did that with a Pit bull once, had to giver her up though she had bad medical problems. From being wild

8. wildwerden

wildwerden Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    travelling beekeeper
    Address:
    Brewster, New York, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +104 / -3
    Craigslist! Or go to the south where there's plenty of half wild strays running around. That's where I found mine... in Missouri. She was terrified of people but let us pick her up and bring her with us. She's acclimated surprisingly well, must have been abused/abandoned.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Free Jones

Free Jones is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    sell poems. work
    Address:
    Detroit, MI, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    got my pup from a dude outside of his shitty tire shop, saw a few dogs and asked if any were for sale. had to spend a hundred on getting rid of roundworms and tapeworms

10. pewpew

pewpew Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Address:
    Aurora, Colorado, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +49 / -3
    Craigslist...

11. Billy Cougar White

Billy Cougar White Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    stoner, philosopher, traveler, poet
    Address:
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +80 / -0
    I got my dog for free at a farmers market. he was the runt of a litter of puppies that had been removed from a home where they were not being looked after.

12. Peregrin

Peregrin Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Chef
    Address:
    Virginia Beach, VA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +65 / -3
    I got my pup from a homebum juggalo in Corpus Christi. He was feeding her hotdogs and offered to sell her to me. I had $7 left to my name. He said "that's food" and gave me the pup. A month later I got rid of her fleas and worms. Assuming she's 9wks, I've already taught her to sit, shake, and lay. She doesn't mind trains at all, and even barks at homebums.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Public land activist
    Address:
    Austin, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +811 / -15
    Go to the Navajo reservation, with pockets full of bacon. Walk around Kayenta or Tuba city or Gallup for a couple hours. You will have the pick of the litter.....or pack for that matter ;) whats up with the lack of a dog emoji?!::cat::::chicken::::alien::

Im totes cereal btw.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bumrumors

Bumrumors Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Trimmer
    Address:
    Lodi, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +32 / -0
    Goy mine hitching through oregon. Best decision I ever made. Now I didnt pay anything and I dumpster or use a gurry pet food pantry for his eats. After 8 years,of on and off traveling we have semi housed up, so we get lonley and take a few trips out to the ocean or up to oregon every year hitching of vaning. I reccomend the pet food pantry for a puppy. They usually give them away for free. Nuetered or spayed and chipped.

15. tootall

tootall is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Danville, VA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +11 / -0
    i want to get a dog myself but worry about keeping it fed and in good health....what do you dog owners say about that?

16. Notmyname

Notmyname Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +318 / -4
    I say if food is a concern for you at all, it shows a lack of confidence in yourself and you have no business getting a dog.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Popsicle

Popsicle Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Drifter
    Address:
    Lost City, WV, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +141 / -8

Oh your a straight up asshole lmfao ! Now this would be perfect to send these oogles to!!! Wouldn't last 5 mins .
    Keyetna I fed a rezer dog a cheeseburger ..
    Fuck I still got scars from that dude !

Edit my dog come from her momma north Platte catch .

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Buck Toothed Dogo

Buck Toothed Dogo is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Ag Consultant
    Address:
    San Francisco, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    Please be sure you can properly take care of the animal ... vet visits, proper dog food, walks, nail trimming, tooth brushing, cleaning, etc.

That being said, nothing has changed my life so much as being a dad to my Dogo ...

#18 Buck Toothed Dogo, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:07 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:16 PM