How to keep safe as women when squatting/tenting out?

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I have no experience regarding squat/tent out ... so I really only theorize from what I read here and otherwise ...
Said that, I would suggest not being alone. Try to find a companion who you can trust. I think doesn't matter if male or female. Being not alone should help a lot. Alternative is to have a dog with you. So you're not alone if something happens.
When it comes to a place to sleep ... I would suggest somewhere nobody comes by normally ... Outskirts ... In a wood or alike ... I don't know. As said I have no experience, just my two cents ...
If I'm wrong please correct me ...

Reactions: arianaholland1

skitter

Reaction score
I don't sleep in shelters. When I rocked it alone, I had a big dog as company and had a 6-7 foot buffer all night. Even without a dog, just try and find somewhere that's not relatively isolated or has other people around. Carry a knife.

• Useful
Reactions: eske silver

urchin

Reaction score
I second that. There are towns in which I know I may die because it's night time and I am black (Anderson, CA).

Overall I would say any place you can sleep at should be good. I personally try to hit a town before nightfall, check the area for spots, then make mental notes. If you can't then know most stores close and few are open past ten. Use that knowledge to get a good place to sleep for the night.

• Useful
Reactions: Anagor and skitter

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm extremely picky when it comes to finding a place to squat or camp, sometimes I'll go pretty far out of my way just to make sure the spot I choose won't get me in trouble. I do this mostly out of not wanting to be bothered by the police. The payoff is that I generally find pretty awesome spots.

I would suggest sticking to the outskirts of cities where there's more woods and overpasses. Keep an eye out for spots where you won't be seen by police or other homeless people.

I don't blame you on the shelter thing. Fuck those places.

lyvphreeoardye

Reaction score
I would recommend carrying a knife and pepper spray, even better, get bear spray from a camping store A good dog is better yet, for a lot of reasons, but is also a lot of responsibility, like having a kid that protects you

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your input and suggestions, it will aid me in what to do if i have to squat/tent outside. I'm fortunate enough to sleep/stay at a relatives right now, but will have to leave in 1 week, so now thinking how to keep warm while sleeping outside.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your input and suggestions, it will aid me in what to do if i have to squat/tent outside. I'm fortunate enough to sleep/stay at a relatives right now, but will have to leave in 1 week, so now thinking how to keep warm while sleeping outside.
I second what everyone said about having something to defend yourself. A good rule of thumb, I've found, is to act like you're completely and utterly bat shit insane. Talk to invisible people and walk around like a drunk, angry vietnam vet. That coupled with a good knife, some pepper spray, and a smiley (a small sack/sock of coins, nuts and bolts, etc for hitting/ scaring off any would-be attackers) can make the world of difference.
When I've had to sleep out on the street, I'd set up a minimal but warm corner next to a planned parenthood, hospital, or something similar - not a ton of hobos like train and bus stations, and as a woman, the people who work at these places are far less likely to scram you or call the cops.
Night-by-night squatting can be a good idea too,
I would suggest sticking to the outskirts of cities where there's more woods and overpasses. Keep an eye out for spots where you won't be seen by police or other homeless people.
but I think not being on your own is the best and safest way to travel. Even just one other person traveling with you can mean the world. That and (if you can stand the person) you don't the risk of getting lonely or bored, or wanting to give up (in many ways).

Good luck!

Reaction score
I second what everyone said about having something to defend yourself. A good rule of thumb, I've found, is to act like you're completely and utterly bat shit insane. Talk to invisible people and walk around like a drunk, angry vietnam vet. That coupled with a good knife, some pepper spray, and a smiley (a small sack/sock of coins, nuts and bolts, etc for hitting/ scaring off any would-be attackers) can make the world of difference.
When I've had to sleep out on the street, I'd set up a minimal but warm corner next to a planned parenthood, hospital, or something similar - not a ton of hobos like train and bus stations, and as a woman, the people who work at these places are far less likely to scram you or call the cops.
Night-by-night squatting can be a good idea too,

but I think not being on your own is the best and safest way to travel. Even just one other person traveling with you can mean the world. That and (if you can stand the person) you don't the risk of getting lonely or bored, or wanting to give up (in many ways).

Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestions man! :) hey wondering, have you ever been to Thunder Bay, Ontario?

S

spectacular

i'm alone all the time, no dog, don't carry weapons, had no issues yet, 2 years going on 3. climb easy fences into little areas and leave by dawn, sleep on long porches with solid walls, sleep on stairwells on the 2nd or third flight so that it's impossible to see from the sidewalk. sometimes sleep out in a forest area. little spaces that offer head protection and enough distance from openings to hear/see oncoming people are the best and they're everywhere. a saying that applies well to most creepies is "out of sight out of mind." stairwells and porches are great since audible steps and have time to prepare if someone's coming (keep in mind can't see from sidewalk so they're not on guard or aware of presence). keep it low, quiet, most people really don't know or care. the number of predators is low... media overhype.

takes time to get used to it, option of sleeping in park during day if night sleep missed is always there and very nice.

Last edited:

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Don't count on me, cause I have no experience, but I second bizzolizzo.

Another thought: you have to sleep, but who says you have to sleep at night? If I would be stuck in a city alone and without knowledge of places I could hide, I would just stay awake at night. Let's say you need to sleep about 6 hours. Who says you have to sleep from 0:00 to 06:00? Stay awake at night, possibly somewhere where a lot of people are (downtown, making party or alike). Perhaps you can even make some money somehow there. Or talk to people, whatever, just to stay awake.

Then, when the sun rises, find a local park, maybe at a university or alike. Where all the good people walk their dogs in the morning, where students are sitting in groups before they go to their lectures. ;) Put something over your eyes to block the sunlight and just sleep/doze from let's say 7am to 1pm. I would think that's much safer and you wouldn't raise too much attention.

Someone sleeping in a park at night? You may be the only one and it's very much obvious you're homeless and stuff. But in the morning/noon? You may just be another student who is waiting for the time to go to lectures ...

Just my two cents ... ;)

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions man! :) hey wondering, have you ever been to Thunder Bay, Ontario?
No, I haven't. I haven't even been anywhere in Canada yet. I lost my passport a while back and have been too lazy to get a new one, lol. I know that there are ways to cross in and back without one, but I'd rather have one when traveling across country lines - better safe than sorry, right?
I mean, I don't wanna get stuck on the wrong of some super dangerous and unfriendly country like fuckin Canada! lol

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've been living in a tent all over the country(More often in the mountains far away then in cities or towns, but I've done enough living in cities to at least feel it out) for about three years, and never had any problems. Always put on that you're super alert and confident, even if you really feel shitty. People pick up on that stuff and probably won't fuck with you. Never have me. Also, when you're sleeping in town, don't just assume that the good spots are where other homeless people seem to sleep. Lot of people won't walk far, or take buses(See if there is a program that'll give you free bus passes). I've always been able to find discreet, wooded spots to sleep when I've taken the trouble to look. I also stay very mobile so I don't overstay my welcome if seen, and people probably don't even have time to even figure out I'm there alone and a possible target. If you have a tent and setup you can pack up every day(Or find a hidden place to leave it), it might be a good idea to not hang out where you sleep. If there is some wandering creepo looking to mess with you, he'll probably be less likely to approach an annonymous sleeping person(In a bag you're not really discernably male or female, threatening or vulnerable. In a tent, who knows how many people could be in there?).

Last edited by a moderator:

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Don't know about the acting crazy thing... I'd think that would make you seem like an easy victim.
True, that an aspect you have to watch out for. The acting crazy tactic is hit or miss and should used in appropriate situations. Most would-be ne'ev-do-wells are opportunists and usually won't try anything if it seems like it wouldn't be easy. With certain people, the weapon-defense-offense tactics would be more suitable, but with others, the crazy tactic can work. It's really about feeling your way around the situation and getting really good at sizing people up.
You don't approach every single positive person and situation the same way, so why would you approach the negatives the same?

Reactions: EphemeralStick
Z

zea mays

Yeah you have to make the call. I think open places would sometimes be a bit better than closed places, that way if someone does try something there would be people around. or hop the fence of a church and wait for your wake up call. If you tie your knife or pepper spray to an elastic on your wrist it will always be handy if you are woken up and have to act fast.

For a long period of time when I was by myself and just didnt give a fuck I'd sleep where I dropped and I have never had a problem, no matter if it was Hastings street in Vancouver or in the middle of San Pedro Sula in Honduras. I'm actually more scared of people in the US than people in latin america. You have to gage this too, places where there is not necessarily a lot of poverty, but a lot of hate.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads