How to get to Slab City from El Centro as a leather Tramp | Squat the Planet

How to get to Slab City from El Centro as a leather Tramp

00kissmarrykick00

I gotta be STOKED to be FLEXIBLE!
Reaction score
If you arrived off the Greyhound or Flix bus, you'll most likely arrive in the afternoon. Call the shelters to see if there's availability, or have some money ready for a cheap hotel/motel.

Your options are to take a slab cab from El Centro, take the Imperial Valley City bus roue 2 to Niland and walk the four miles or get a slab cab from niland, or wait until Thursdays that isn't a federal holiday to take the city bus from El Centro into the main part of Slab City. It would be route 2 to route 51. Route 51 is in Niland.

Side note: Imperial Valley Transit route 2 also passes through Brawley California which is a little bit north of El Centro.

Area Agency of aging
778 W State St, El Centro, CA 92243 PA/AAA Homepage - http://www.aaa24.org/

Tell them you're homeless and they'll give you bus passes. They might ask where you're going, and it's okay to be honest. They don't check or anything.

Route 2 from El Centro to Niland runs all day an hour or two apart depending on the time of day.

Dmac

Reaction score
How much did it cost, or did you get the free,pass?

00kissmarrykick00

Reaction score
Slab Cab approximate prices by location:

Niland $5 Calipatria $10 Brawley $20 El Centro $45 Calexico $65 Indio $40 - $50 Palm Springs $65 - $75

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmac

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Call the shelters to see if there's availability, or have some money ready for a cheap hotel/motel.

This really isn't necessary, since there is plenty of open desert and other places that you can rough camp in.

Also it's only a 3 mi walk from niland into the slabs, and there's probably a 90% chance anyone seeing you walking along the road will offer to give you a ride into the slabs.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
What matt said, I would much prefer camping out then some sketchy el centro shelter, I’ve had to do it once, wasnt bad at all.
And yeah, theres. 90% chance someone will pick you up hitchhiking from
niland, even if you get off the bus after dark, theres almost always some people headed back in. Why spend 45$ for a slab cab ?

00kissmarrykick00

Reaction score
Ok,
This really isn't necessary, since there is plenty of open desert and other places that you can rough camp in.

Also it's only a 3 mi walk from niland into the slabs, and there's probably a 90% chance anyone seeing you walking along the road will offer to give you a ride into the slabs.

I say that as a person who doesn't prefer to camp, but if you prefer to camp go off.

00kissmarrykick00

Reaction score
What matt said, I would much prefer camping out then some sketchy el centro shelter, I’ve had to do it once, wasnt bad at all.
And yeah, theres. 90% chance someone will pick you up hitchhiking from
niland, even if you get off the bus after dark, theres almost always some people headed back in. Why spend 45$ for a slab cab ?

The shelter I stayed in wasn't sketchy, so if you're not speaking from experience it's better you don't speak at all. The shelter I stayed in was a reformatted house so it was actually very nice.

A lot of slabbers won't take people into town for free because gas cost money. Also, a lot of people believe that Slab City is dangerous, so it's more difficult than a lot of people think it is to find a ride. There are also some spots where people are very adverse to picking up hitchhikers.

• Haha
Reactions: Korvina

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads